Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fett

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
I've tended to assume that pix are posted here for people to comment on. As I've explained, having a 'non-partisan' critique is more constructive that getting undiluted praise from your doting family. But I certainly don't want to upset anyone, so I think I may keep my opinions to myself in future.

I really hope that this thread is always open to constructive comments and critique's. Personally I feel the best way to improve as a photographer is to learn to separate yourself from your image and see it as others do. For me atleast it's easy to become blinded by the attachment I have for something I have created, 'non-partisan' comments help me to develop that skill.

Constructive comments are always welcome on my photos.

nicoritschel

macrumors regular
May 22, 2006
2232409302_96780e419f.jpg

Mark Morb

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2007
Norfolk
Doesn't that Sea look Brown and Inviting ;)

The Buoys remind me of "Rover" from "The Prisoner" patrolling the Beach and Sea.

Developed_IMGP0579.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Stream's breath

On a cold day, sunlight bounces off the steam rising from a mountain stream near my retreat in the woods. More of a "snap" than anything, taken with my trusty Canon a95 point 'n shoot.

img_0004.JPG

Model: Canon PowerShot A95
Exposure: 1/40 sec
Aperture: f/4.5
Focal Length: 19.3mm

Chillijam

macrumors member

Beautiful.

In a previous post I said something about how your HDR work didn't really do it for me, and I think I may have figured out why because of this shot. To me the colours looked somehow false, the photos looked almost as if they were created in Photoshop or some other package. When the shot is "reduced" to B&W, though, I can totally see the benefit of HDR. This example may not be as extreme as some of your colour work in terms of HDR tweaking, or maybe the conversion to monochrome has softened the edges that I'm not keen on. I don't know - I'm no photographer.

Let me just say, in the light of recent posts on this thread, that I am in no way dismissing your art as anything other than creativity coming directly from you. I appreciate the time, effort, thought and skill that goes into creating your works, but unfortunately my buttons are not pressed by the result. I am glad you do what you do since so many get enjoyment from it.

I'll just say it again - this is a great photograph. :)

Eauboy

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Washington, DC
It's not just soft - I don't think it's actually focused on his face. If the camera focused on anything I would say it was probably some part of the flag.

Well, yes, that's exactly my point. What I'm trying to figure out is why this happened. I pointed the central AF point right on the guy's forehead. I suppose it will be impossible to figure it out after the fact.

Thanks...

Flowero4ka

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
I just posted this same photo in the recent D80 thread since I was the one who mentioned having infrequent-but-undeniable problems with autofocus. Apologies for the cross-posting. Large size is to help see what I'm talking about; seems soft around the subject's eyes and neck jewelry (?).

You are welcome :) Yep, It seems a bit soft around the subject's eyes..... Maybe, you should use a support of some-thing to fix your camera?

Eauboy

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Washington, DC
Constructive comments or criticism encouraged...

Well, I like texture, so I like this shot. Great range and the BW conversion really brought attention to the light and texture, which made all of the difference.

If I were to make any critique, it would be that there is no resting place for the eye, no single point of interest. Honestly though, that observation is itself a bit of a cliche. This photo works without it.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
nicoritschel

Nice composition, I caught my eye movement really doing semi 360 and always ending at the center which is good you made me analyze everything and not just the center, thats my take on it.

hogger73

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
fyi - madison square park, NY

sorry, my pic didnt post last time. any suggestions please let me know...

2227061511_6d0222a05b_b.jpg

from flickr

Eauboy

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Washington, DC
sorry, my pic didnt post last time. any suggestions please let me know...

I see what you are going for. In this case you seem to have blown out the highlights a bit in the clouds. I would like to see this same scene, but shot from closer to the three left-most buildings, making them the clear subject. Maybe skip the building on the right. That, or get some foreground detail to add perspective to the overall shot.

I hope this helps...

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
...I feel the best way to improve as a photographer is to learn to separate yourself from your image and see it as others do. For me atleast it's easy to become blinded by the attachment I have for something I have created, 'non-partisan' comments help me to develop that skill...
I am totally with you on that. I spent years thinking my photos were awesome because I was there with my camera and the emotional memory of the occasion outweighed reason.:p I am so glad someone had the heart and nerve to tell me they are sometimes too dark and noisy, that my old camera was inhibiting my progress, etc... keep up the good work y'all!:D

shoulder hopper
this is my friend and quite the ballsy gromm- surfing Hurricane Noel
_1020676.jpg

L1 + ZD 40-150mm 3.5/4.5

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Here's mine

I hope it's ok that this pic was taken in December, but it's my first post here so I figure I'll get a pass.

If only that one flag had fallen in line....

Last edited:

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I hope it's ok that this pic was taken in December, but it's my first post here so I figure I'll get a pass.

If only that one flag had fallen in line....

Not to worry! Your photo of the day doesn't have to be taken during the month of the thread. I think the main thing is the general rules of one pic per day, and don't post the same pic again (although I don't think this is a hard rule.) Other than that, keep the shots reasonable in size and you're good to go. Welcome, and post away.

On your flag shot, yeah, if that one flag on the top didn't sort of just hang there limply, it would have been perfect... Nice concept.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
At the risk of starting something again, I just want to put in my tuppence.... I'm fairly "old skool" and traditional. As such, in looking at images in the Photo of the Day thread, I tend to rapidly skip over HDR, anything clearly over-manipulated in Photoshop or some other program, and/or anything that doesn't remotely resemble a photograph. Just me....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.