Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Wild huckleberries

Up in the woods behind my cabin in mid-autumn.

DSC_1291.JPG

Model: NIKON D50
Exposure: 1/200 sec
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 55mm w/18-55 kit lens

Nevada Jack: I just love the red rock country, and you captured it beautifully.

Mark Morb

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2007
Norfolk
Great photo, I love it .. :)

I don't think you can really call a day dull, when the sky is blue and the sun is shinning .. :confused:

FJ

That's the trick...the sky wasn't blue and the sun was hazy. Use of Filters and some Post Processing to get decent colour into it.

Flowero4ka

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
Now I'm confused too... :)

Wasn't that your pic of a bird of paradise flower? It's a lovely pic (whoever took it...), but I thought I'd seen it posted here before, that's all...

No, it was not my photo! I just thank an author for this pix! There are a lot of photos which are repeated because we cite them!!!

Here I put NO my photo :)

Eauboy

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Washington, DC
Cause for apparent softness?

I just posted this same photo in the recent D80 thread since I was the one who mentioned having infrequent-but-undeniable problems with autofocus. Apologies for the cross-posting. Large size is to help see what I'm talking about; seems soft around the subject's eyes and neck jewelry (?).

Stationary subject
I was stationary, too
Cloudy, but decent light
He was maybe eighty feet away. I had the VR function enabled.
(Sorry, I don't have the EXIF data handy so I can't say what settings were used)
Cold day - approximately freezing or just below.
Flag was moving around quite a bit, but I had plenty of time to pre-focus when the flag was well out of the way of his face.
DX VR 18 - 200 lens
Sorry, I can't remember the AF settings. I'm pretty sure I default to AF-S. For this shot, I selected the center AF point, locked the focus, then recomposed.
Could stand a better crop, but I got the shot I wanted with patience.

It just looks a bit soft to me. Could the cold conditions, including the chilled-battery effect- have caused this? Or is that just too tight of a desired focal point (left of the flagpole) for my AF settings? Doesn't seem to be camera shake.

Thanks...

attachment.php

colinmack

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
Stonehenge

...where the dew drops cry and the cats meow.

There was crazy freezing rain just a few minutes before this, I ducked into the gift shop (soaked), then saw the sun come out. Great dramatic clouds, the sun was close to setting, couldn't have asked for a better photo backdrop - but you wouldn't have guessed it an hour earlier.

sh2b3_m.jpg

BOOSTD

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
"Foggy Flight"
Canon 30D 85mm
f/2.8
1/8000
ISO 400

Attachments

• Four ducks flying with bare trees in the background version 2 (web).jpg
    Four ducks flying with bare trees in the background version 2 (web).jpg
    833.1 KB · Views: 81

That-Is-Bull

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
...where the dew drops cry and the cats meow.

There was crazy freezing rain just a few minutes before this, I ducked into the gift shop (soaked), then saw the sun come out. Great dramatic clouds, the sun was close to setting, couldn't have asked for a better photo backdrop - but you wouldn't have guessed it an hour earlier.

sh2b3_m.jpg

Happen to have a larger version, around 1680x1050?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.