Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicoritschel

macrumors regular
May 22, 2006
Changed my mind... I thought my previous shot looked way too artificial-which it did

2227683546_648e975936_b.jpg

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
lil' air. This was a couple weekends ago at Pelican Beach park, an ESA (eastern surfing association) contest. The morning was pretty foggy but eventually the sun came out.:)

_1080445.jpg

L1+ZD 70-300mm at 300mm
1/1600 sec, f/7, ISO 500

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
ivanhoe.jpg

Ivanhoe neighborhood - Kansas City Missouri.

One handheld RAW // HDR
Shutter: 1/100
Aperture: f/14.1
Focal Length: 17mm
ISO 100

To get the skies to look like that, and also when you take pictures of the buildings to make it look like the way it does, how do you adjust it so they come out like that ?(tone mapping i assume, but what kind of settings?)
edit: this picture isnt the best example, because in this photo the HDR effect on the building is much more subtle than on your other ones, but you get what I mean.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I find it is very hard to get the whiteness of this bird to not wash out. I had some other shots that were ok except for that.

Nikon D40, 55-200 VR at 200. 1/100 f10 set by aperture priority
Very good accomplishment! Thank you for posting exif data... I have yet to get a good one of an egret without blown highlights. I really like the colors and tone of this photo too.

bobt

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2006
Bozeman, Montana
Egrets can be fun to shoot. I thought I would add one of my favorites taken over Christmas. This was a bit of a group effort between myself and my son. In other words, he grabbed my camera first.:)

I love the light on his bill.

2227713486_4f6c1ee2d0_b.jpg

fett

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
It's -33C today so I bought a couple of roses to photograph for my project366. This is my attempt to come up with something more than just a picture of flowers. Of course I also uploaded some flower pictures to flickr if you like flowers and I can't get the old poison song out of my head. :-(

EDIT: Wow SolracSelbor! It really sucks to have to follow that amazing photo.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
To get the skies to look like that, and also when you take pictures of the buildings to make it look like the way it does, how do you adjust it so they come out like that ?(tone mapping i assume, but what kind of settings?)
edit: this picture isnt the best example, because in this photo the HDR effect on the building is much more subtle than on your other ones, but you get what I mean.

I believe the settings were about like this:

Pretty high up on the Strenth slider - maybe as far as it would go.

Pretty high up on the Luminosity too.

Middle range on the Light Smoothing

Maximum on the White Clip

Maximum on the Black Clip

Talk about a nice shot.. Valdore hit the nail on the head! Nice one!!

I second this! This is HDR done so tastefully that even its most ardent detractors couldn't possibly object to its use in this photo.

Thanks so much! :)

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
It's -33C today so I bought a couple of roses to photograph for my project366. This is my attempt to come up with something more than just a picture of flowers. Of course I also uploaded some flower pictures to flickr if you like flowers and I can't get the old poison song out of my head. :-(

EDIT: Wow SolracSelbor! It really sucks to have to follow that amazing photo.

I am just going to post what I posted on your flickr:):

"Kevin, your work continues to stun me. I have been wanting to do some simple projects like this,and the water one, but I need to buy some good flashes and peripherals.
I look forward to seeing more from you, its very inspirational!"
I like the way you take simple objects and make stunning images!

I believe the settings were about like this:

Pretty high up on the Strenth slider - maybe as far as it would go.

Pretty high up on the Luminosity too.

Middle range on the Light Smoothing

Maximum on the White Clip

Maximum on the Black Clip

Thanks so much! :)

Thanks, I want to try to experiment with HDR a little more, I will try that. I am going to the city soon :)

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
DSC_1841.JPG

Model: NIKON D50
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/800 sec
Aperture: f/10.0
Focal Length: 18mm
Nice to see some natural color and normal skies ... :)
IMO most HDR images look false.

Meant to say, the lighting in this shot is great, I love the way it emphasizes the texture. Great shot.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Nice to see some natural color and normal skies ... :)
IMO most HDR images look false.

Meant to say, the lighting in this shot is great, I love the way it emphasizes the texture. Great shot.

Thanks, Father Jack. I know what you mean.

I don't have the means to "practice" HDR anyway, but if and when I do, it will be to try to get more detail in the shadows without blowing the highlights (other than some specular highlights which I don't mind...) to overcome the limitations of digital compared to film. However, I also see how HDR can be used to create unusual and dramatic photographic art images, which can be very beautiful and moody, even painterly and softish. I'd liken it to sound effects in electronic music... artificial, but enabling new and contemporary music styles.

In the meantime, I'm sticking with the "basics." Cheers

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Before the winter rains

The creek behind my house in late fall, before the Oregon rain and salmon returned to claim their rightful place in the scheme of things. (handheld, so a bit soft)

2006-10-02-18.10.22.JPG

Model: NIKON D50
Exposure: 1/15 sec
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 18mm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.