Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xcalibre

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
dsc0002do8.jpg

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
The Leper King

Leper_King.jpg

The Leper King
Terrace of the Leper King, Angkor Thom, Cambodia.

Nikon D40x
15s @ f 8
iso 800
Nikkor-H 28mm f 3.5
Hoya 72R Infrared pass filter​

Located within the enormous Angkor Thom complex, this enigmatic statue presents one of Angkor's many mysteries.
It may depict one of the two Khmer kings who according to legend suffered from leprosy, or Yama, their god of Death, or.... Modern buddhists drape the nude form and burn incense in respect.

MartinC, Xcalibre, Doylem--Nice work!

xcalibre

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
Thanks Freebooter, I have a question for you - how do you manage to focus your IR images? I have a Hoya IR filter, and i've figured out the white balance/exposure tricks, but i just can't focus properly!!
Is it because i'm using a zoom lens?
Great IR shots, i like them a lot!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Thanks Freebooter, I have a question for you - how do you manage to focus your IR images? I have a Hoya IR filter, and i've figured out the white balance/exposure tricks, but i just can't focus properly!!

Don't mean to stomp on FB's question, but the way I focus IR is I focus with the filter off then lock my focus and put the filter back on.
Maybe he does it differently, but it's worked for me.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
The inlet was going off today. I sat in the rain huddled under an umbrella squeezing off about 1000 shots...:eek: Just starting to go through them but this one kind of expresses the tone of the day. It was nice.:D
_1060122ee.jpg

click image to enlarge
Panasonic L1 + Zuiko Digital 70-300mm
1/1000 sec
f/ 7.1
ISO 500
300mm

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
Thanks freebooter, that means a lot coming from a photographer like you. I really like the way that your shots have evolved from macro shots to more landscape and IR shots although I love both of your styles equally.

The shot that you posted earlier in this thread with the mist rising up the mountains was beautiful.

Maldini

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2007
Riyadh
First picture taken with my new D80

I received my new D80 yesterday and i was practicing with a teddy bear after my little sis got bored..anyway today a friend of mine came by with his Falcon:eek: and i was shocked when i saw that thing..now here is the shot...its not perfect ,i'm still a beginner :D

2170447372_9f1d0401fc.jpg

I know this is seriously underexposed and this happens with many of my pictures, did anyone had a similar experience with a D80? should i change the ev to - 0.3 or -0.7 to fix this problem?

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
I know this is seriously underexposed and this happens with many of my pictures, did anyone had a similar experience with a D80? should i change the ev to - 0.3 or -0.7 to fix this problem?

If you feel like all your shots are underexposed, you should set your EV to + something, not - something (tell it to overexpose, and in theory get proper exposure). Or you could just do it on manual mode.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I received my new D80 yesterday and i was practicing with a teddy bear after my little sis got bored..anyway today a friend of mine came by with his Falcon:eek: and i was shocked when i saw that thing..now here is the shot...its not perfect ,i'm still a beginner :D

2170447372_9f1d0401fc.jpg

If you are getting underexposed photos using a -0.3 or -0.7 will only hurt matters. How are you metering? exp. compensation is great but it only goes so far. You kind of have to meter the scene properly first.

Jim61

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2007
NZ Southern Alps

Two photos joined together.

Attachments

• Southern Alps panorama 2.jpg
    Southern Alps panorama 2.jpg
    921.5 KB · Views: 159

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea

Don't mean to stomp on FB's question, but the way I focus IR is I focus with the filter off then lock my focus and put the filter back on.
Maybe he does it differently, but it's worked for me.

Well, IR focuses differently than visible light, so one has to compensate, especially if you use larger apertures or longer focal lengths because the depth of field is smaller. (Jessica, I would guess you may be using wider lenses and smaller apertures) Many lenses, especially fixed focal length ones, have a red dot on the (usually) left side of the focus distance indicator. What I do is focus with filter off, note the distance indicated, then put that distance on the red dot. It's a bit more complicated if I try to maximize the DOF, but that's the general idea. With the 28mm lens I used I had a lot of latitude so I could just guess-timate most of the time. But, I when I occasionally used the 105mm I had to be much more careful. Modern zoom lenses usually don't have the IR mark, so some experimentation is needed. Focus closer than you would normally. Also, some lenses render a hotspot when used for IR, my new 50mm 1.4, for example. There is lots of info on all this on the web, and for Nikon owners contemplating a new/used lens for IR I'd suggest checking http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

Thanks freebooter, that means a lot coming from a photographer like you. I really like the way that your shots have evolved from macro shots to more landscape and IR shots although I love both of your styles equally.

The shot that you posted earlier in this thread with the mist rising up the mountains was beautiful.

Thanks! Your pix are very well done and interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.