Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
This morning, 6:30am....
I can really appreciate the timing involved in this shot. Nice work.:)

Here is one from my day at the inlet Saturday.

Attachments

• _1080105.jpg
    _1080105.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 113

Maldini

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2007
Riyadh
If you feel like all your shots are underexposed, you should set your EV to + something, not - something (tell it to overexpose, and in theory get proper exposure). Or you could just do it on manual mode.
Great I was just confused by the tons of info i read from the manual.

If you are getting underexposed photos using a -0.3 or -0.7 will only hurt matters. How are you metering? exp. compensation is great but it only goes so far. You kind of have to meter the scene properly first.
I used the default matrix metering ,never knew its so important..
And I just ordered Thom Hogan's ebook..some friendly Nikon guys suggested this book :)

At the risk of telling you what you already know, it's a low-key pic: ie a fairly dark subject against a black background. Even the cleverest of camera metering systems will try to 'average out' the information in your composition. The camera would also be 'fooled' by a very light background. In these conditions, I'd switch to 'manual' and make some small adjustments... based on a quick review of the pix while shooting.

When I used film cameras, I'd regularly under-expose by, say half a stop, to get the effect I wanted... not what the camera 'wanted'. This disparity was consistent, at least, so I never felt it to be a problem. If you feel your camera gives you a consistent level of under- or over-exposure, then you could adjust the exposure compensation.
Thanks for the tip..I bought this camera to give me the features and options that were missing in my old P&S. I'm going to start experimenting with different settings soon, after i feel comfortable with the camera and its menus.

I actually like this photo
Thanks glad you liked it :D:D:D

Underexposure FYI: It is often best to underexpose than to overexpose. Once you blow the highlights by overexposing, you can not recover them. One stop underexposure is right where I like my images from the camera to be.

I normally would not take the liberty of editing someone's photo but, as an example of what I mean, here is your image, adjusted however. All that was done is, import to Aperture, increase exposure, export back out, upload to here.. Nice photo by the way!!
Thank you :D Thats much better, I'm going to order Aperture soon but i have minimum experience with photo editing..hope it will be easy :D

As do I. I think its a good composition, and I like the subject against the black background. But as others have said, it is very slightly underexposed.

Whats on its face? Its like a shell, is that to make it so the falcon doesnt get spooked or try to fly away?
Also, to obtain that black background, did you put the bird infront of a black background, or did you do it in Photoshop?
Thanks, the picture was taken outdoors with minimum light.
yes the shell is there so he cant fly away, and when they go hunting the owner attaches a small device to his wing that peeps 'like Sputnik' so he can track the falcon. Its not my thing but its really interesting, here is the hungry falcon
2170474038_965719bdf1.jpg

He even flew inside our house :D, it was scary though.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Crap. I really want a Falcon now. I always have, for some odd reason.

Anyway, a local CEO at a ceremony, post ribbon cutting:

picture2eo6.png

I hate how the D40 meters; its default color profile is crap too, in comparison to my D70s.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Great I was just confused by the tons of info i read from the manual.

I'm going to order Aperture soon but i have minimum experience with photo editing..hope it will be easy :D

Yes, I really don't know why camera manuals are so complex. Like you, I read the manual for my D200 and simply didn't understand it. Nikon (and others) could take a leaf out of Apples's book about being intuitive and easy to use. With manuals, it's like something gets lost in translation...

Aperture, easy? Well, it's an amazing piece of kit, IMO, but I wouldn't say it was particularly easy to understand. Of course, I may just be a bit slow...

On the basis of walking before you can run, you may find iPhoto a little less daunting... certainly while you're still getting to grips with the camera...

studentmac

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
Bedfordshire, UK
I was at a round of the winter RC championships yesterday and took along my camera. Good shots were hard to come by thanks to the indoor location and the speed of these things (around 40mph indoors).

DSC_0051.jpg

Shutter: 1/500
Aperture: f5.6
Focal Length: 55mm
ISO: 400

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Damn, that's nice.

Btw, that lighthouse looks like it's drawn on :p

Thanks. I love these extreme lighting conditions. They don't usually last longer than a minute or two. It was VERY gloomy before the clouds parted... and then, briefly, VERY bright. It's that contrast that makes the lighthouse stand out so much. And a dark sky means no need for grey grads, HDR, post-production, etc. This is pretty much the way it came out of the camera...

Chillijam

macrumors member
Today's effort from me :

I'm not too sure that anyone else will see the same value as I do from the shot, but it pretty much captures how my nephew felt about being the centre of attention at his christening yesterday. :)

Attachments

• walt.jpg
    walt.jpg
    614.8 KB · Views: 83

TommyD

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland.
westbottomshdr.jpg

Three handheld RAWs // HDR
Shutter: varied
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 17mm
ISO 100

Having been a regular 'lurker' on this forum, i have decided to sign up and make this, my first post.

This photo is absolutely amazing, i cannot believe how much some of your photographs have an almost painted feel and look to them. I have been checking this forum daily now for around a month, and i'm blown away by the HDR pics you post, as well as the pictures from Doylem. Keep up the awesome work guys.

Now, to save up for a SLR and photomatix.

ACbc

macrumors member
May 14, 2007
Doylem...the last two pictures were really really cool. That really is weird lighting! and your pictures take advantage of it perfectly!

Here's another I took while at home. This time in the house.

2153446623_4cf8492c75_o.jpg

Nikon D300
17-55 f/2.8 @ 18mm f/3.5
1/100 shutter
ISO 400

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.