Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
As always: Astute observations :cool:

I considered this and dismissed the idea outright. Pearly whites may kill the illusion, but gunky teeth would have killed the picture, demolishing almost any chance of the shot becoming an advert. Please continue in the cranky editor role--you have a sharp eye and a solid knowledge of what constitutes good photography.

For what you were trying to achieve, you hit it on the head. I certainly agree that if the goal was a possible advertising image, probably better the sparkly teeth are spotless. Just consider my previous comment in the context of seeing the picture simply as an artistic illusion rather than a commercial image... cheers! :) -phil

BTW: I'm always fascinated with what you'll come up with next.

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
IMG_1140.jpg

dancing lights..first time messing with long exposure..hopefully i can get good at taking these..lol.

how come some people set night shots to like a slow shutter speed but with a smaller aperature like an F/22 or something.

then i see some photos where its slow shutter speed but a larger aperature F/3.5 or something...

help?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
1UrU

I found this big abandoned silo thing the other day with a friend and snapped some pictures.

I think it's pretty cool other than the insanely blown out background.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
how come some people set night shots to like a slow shutter speed but with a smaller aperature like an F/22 or something.

then i see some photos where its slow shutter speed but a larger aperature F/3.5 or something...

help?

The relationship between aperture and shutter speed is the same for night shots as for day shots. Aperture gives you control over depth of field and over how much light comes in. Shutter speed also gives you control over how much light comes in. All exposures are a negotiation between these two, with ISO sensitivity as a third parameter. Which combination is right for your image depends on what effect you want to achieve and how much light is available. A good read on this topic is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

the church cliché ... just had to do it :)
attachment.php

Some nice light on the church, but the blue duotone "cliché" comes from shots that try to emulate or emphasize the cold, eerie effects of moonlight. Since your photo has an obviously sunny sky with puffy white clouds, the blue tint seems out of place.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
For what you were trying to achieve, you hit it on the head. I certainly agree that if the goal was a possible advertising image, probably better the sparkly teeth are spotless. Just consider my previous comment in the context of seeing the picture simply as an artistic illusion rather than a commercial image... cheers! :) -phil

BTW: I'm always fascinated with what you'll come up with next.

I always consider what you have to say. I have yet to meet anyone else with such an eye for detail. It shows in your comments and more importantly, your work. Thanks for taking the time:cool:

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Very beautiful work. Every time I see your photos, I wonder how magical you could make Easter Island look ;) Have you ever been there by chance?

Thank you, sorry I haven't been to Easter Island but agree it would be a great place for sunsets! It's now summer in Australia (very hot today!), so after the regular late afternoon storm passes through I always keep an eye out for the big bright storm cloud.

dancing lights..first time messing with long exposure..hopefully i can get good at taking these..lol.

help?

A reason for the difference (assuming identical natural lighting conditions) could be that the photographer was using a neutral density (ND) filter, which essentially blocks out light enabling you to shoot a longer exposure without having to use a smaller apperture like f/22 (or an even longer exposure at f/22). That's how you'd normally achieve blurred water (for example) during daylight conditions as there's too much light.

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Thank you, sorry I haven't been to Easter Island but agree it would be a great place for sunsets! It's now summer in Australia (very hot today!), so after the regular late afternoon storm passes through I always keep an eye out for the big bright storm cloud.

A reason for the difference (assuming identical natural lighting conditions) could be that the photographer was using a neutral density (ND) filter, which essentially blocks out light enabling you to shoot a longer exposure without having to use a smaller apperture like f/22 (or an even longer exposure at f/22). That's how you'd normally achieve blurred water (for example) during daylight conditions as there's too much light.

is a neutral density filter a filter to just pop on, or do you have to be at a certain angle like the polarizers and actually move them around. is it like the UV where you just pop it on and leave it?

redbuzzybug

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
is a neutral density filter a filter to just pop on, or do you have to be at a certain angle like the polarizers and actually move them around. is it like the UV where you just pop it on and leave it?

Maddagascar , ND filters just need to be screwed on to the lens, no angles to worry about. A neutral density filter looks like a grey tinted lens, it minimise light from entering the lens and camera. There are several grades ND4 , ND6 ND8, 8 being the darkest tint. The idea of using ND filter is so that you can slow the aperture (a stop slower on). Typical example of using the filter is creating waterfall effect (misty look) whilst in daylight time.

There are many other reasons , it does give landscape clouds and sky, a bit more 'pop' , Some filters are 'graduated ND filter' which only tints the upper half of the lens, its what most landscape photographers use when the landscape is unbalance in light, eg. sky is too bright in comparison to the foreground ,

An example of ND filter used, I shot this at sunrise, morning in Sydney

4023209709_73eb80ccdf.jpg

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.

Yes it's only graduated ND (half half) that need to be positioned specially to darken the sky.

Here's an example of using both a ND and a ND grad stacked (using a Cokin holder in my case but you can get screw on ones like UV filters).

imgp8605.jpg

Pentax K10D - 8 sec - f/6.7 - ISO 100 - 15mm (22mm eqiv)

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
very nice, i like it. did you do like a really fast shutter speed and a larger aperture opening? very nice, i wanna try that combination setting.

Thanks for the kind feedback. I know it's not a really great content photo, but I was just walking into work from the parking lot and noticed the sun peeking up on the horizon with nice reflected colours in the snow. I didn't have a tripod with me so I bumped the ISO up to 1600 and shot aperture priority wide open at f4 with an ND grad 6. The resulting shutter was 1/8000.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Captions would help, yeah. Also, Doylem, do you really need to restrict the participants to owners of a "digital SLR"? Wouldn't any camera with manual controls be sufficient? Even a point-and-shoot with M mode?

I'm sure your participants will get a lot out of your workshops. I almost feel as though I owe you a workshop fee for all I've gleaned from your contributions to this forum! :D

Thanks to everyone (on the forum and via email) who's offered both encouragement and advice about my new business venture, running landscape photography workshops. I've taken them all to heart.

I've tried to define our potential customers - in terms of experience/ability - so that people will be kinda on the same wavelength. But nothing's 'set in stone'...

Phrasikleia... you know you'll feel better when you've posted that cheque... ;)

wharfe.jpg

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Donny, Ice Fishing

4299180126_86a10d58f5_o.jpg

Sony DSC F717
Fill Flash
Exposure Mode: Auto exposure
Exposure Time: 1 / 160
Flash: Flash fired, compulsory flash mode, return light not detected
FNumber: 4
Focal Length: 10.2
ISO Speed Ratings: 100

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
4299180126_86a10d58f5_o.jpg

Sony DSC F717
Fill Flash
Exposure Mode: Auto exposure
Exposure Time: 1 / 160
Flash: Flash fired, compulsory flash mode, return light not detected
FNumber: 4
Focal Length: 10.2
ISO Speed Ratings: 100

dangit BarryJ! That makes me wanna go ice fishing :) nothing but peace and quiet out on a lake :)

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
snagged this sunset shot at the last minute tonight up @ Merrill Creek Reservoir in NJ.

Attachments

• merril_creek  002.jpg
    merril_creek 002.jpg
    753.3 KB · Views: 134
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.