Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
IMG_1758c_1319.jpg

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I'm going to guess it's because most "people shots" involve subjects with whom the photographer is acquainted, so these photos are kept off of the internet in the interest of privacy.

An interesting thought, but not one I see borne out over at fredmiranda. The "post your best Nikon shots" thread over at the Nikon forum is filled with people pictures, including a lot of family ones. I'd say the people to "other" ratio there is flipped compared to what it is here.

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008

I came back to this shot a couple times, so I thought that must mean it is ripe for some happy comments!

I really like the capture, the timing is great. Part of me thinks I *should be* distracted by the people blur from the long shutter speed but i'm not, just a fun shot. Have you tried cropping with a portrait orientation to isolate the bottle rocket more?

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
A Very Hungry Caterpiller

4241252884_c3837c017b_b.jpg

Found this guy going through the last tomatos of the season a couple months ago. All of the spots and what not that look like cuts or scars are really just tomato residue.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Looks like a lovely place. Is a wattle fence or stacked stone? Either way, that's a lot of fence to maintain.

Thanks. In the North of England we call them 'dry stone walls' (dry in the sense that no cement is used: it's quite a skill).

I used to feel awkward, asking people to be in my pix... but I find it easier to chat to strangers these days. Anyone, no-one objects (well, two people, in the whole of last year...) if you say what you want. And I always email a pic or two...

girlslangdale.jpg

Then the girls said: "We'll take one of you". So here I am... ;)

melangdale.jpg

Blea Tarn, today...

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->

This was the last photo I took out of my smoke photography session. The last one turned out the best! Played around with it in Photoshop CS2.

Really elegant. I love the purple. Nice one!

An interesting thought, but not one I see borne out over at fredmiranda. The "post your best Nikon shots" thread over at the Nikon forum is filled with people pictures, including a lot of family ones. I'd say the people to "other" ratio there is flipped compared to what it is here.

Well, I believe that Nikon forum is rather closed (only members can view it), so it's a bit more "safe" there. I can at least speak for myself about this forum: I have a number of portraits that I count among my better pictures, but I would never post them here.

I came back to this shot a couple times, so I thought that must mean it is ripe for some happy comments!

I really like the capture, the timing is great. Part of me thinks I *should be* distracted by the people blur from the long shutter speed but i'm not, just a fun shot. Have you tried cropping with a portrait orientation to isolate the bottle rocket more?

Thanks, H20Hockey. I went through a similar thought process and decided I like the photo with the blurry people and not as a crop. I'll share my reasoning: I like how the holiday decorations and people provide a context for the bottle rocket. However, if the people were also in sharp focus, they would compete with the tiny little bottle rocket. As it is, they are "present" without being concrete enough to be subjects. I particularly like the couple at the right who are obviously watching the rocket go off, since they help direct attention to it. I shot a bunch of photos while this guy was setting off his bottle rockets, and this one (with that couple in it) works the best, I think.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Well, I believe that Nikon forum is rather closed (only members can view it), so it's a bit more "safe" there. I can at least speak for myself about this forum: I have a number of portraits that I count among my better pictures, but I would never post them here.

No, it's very public. Maybe you're thinking of a different forum. The one over at FM is open for all to see. See for yourself here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/7

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008

I've really only poked around fredmiranda's buy/sell forum, but from another perspective the Nikonians galleries are pretty well dominated by landscapes, second is wildlife then macro. You would have to put 4 or more of the people type galleries together to get to the same number of photos posted in the landscape section. Also the "picture I took" thread, that is private, must be a paid memeber to view, is likewise dominated by landscape or travel type photos.

Or it could be that everyone here is inspired by Doylem.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I've really only poked around fredmiranda's buy/sell forum, but from another perspective the Nikonians galleries are pretty well dominated by landscapes, second is wildlife then macro. You would have to put 4 or more of the people type galleries together to get to the same number of photos posted in the landscape section. Also the "picture I took" thread, that is private, must be a paid memeber to view, is likewise dominated by landscape or travel type photos.

Surely the last explanation is the right one! :D:p

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
If it's people shots you want...

...Than it's people shots you get!
4240325628_11e35b6a10_b.jpg

I call it, "My Name is James... and I'm a GAMER"
I took it with his Nikon D40 and 35mm 1.8 lens.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Thanks. In the North of England we call them 'dry stone walls' (dry in the sense that no cement is used: it's quite a skill).

I used to feel awkward, asking people to be in my pix... but I find it easier to chat to strangers these days. Anyone, no-one objects (well, two people, in the whole of last year...) if you say what you want. And I always email a pic or two...

Then the girls said: "We'll take one of you". So here I am... ;)

Blea Tarn, today...

Theirs is better.
See it's only the scenery that makes your images... :)

nah, please keep shooting and show us the british light.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona

I would be beyond bored taking those kinds of shots. Nature talks, but not loudly enough for me.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space

This was the last photo I took out of my smoke photography session. The last one turned out the best! Played around with it in Photoshop CS2.

I dumped this into PS and inverted your invert. I like the green on black a bit better, but either way this is unreal. May I add this to my desktop collection?

Oh, did the shoot set off the smoke alarms?

Dale

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Sunlight was muted with a heavy snowfall. -27C with wind chill. Heavy slush on the Lake. Keebler... you know what I mean eh ? Pano from 3 handheld shots.

Sure do :) It was another bad year for ice - too warm into the late fall for ice to form before the snow started flying.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space

Thanks, H20Hockey. I went through a similar thought process and decided I like the photo with the blurry people and not as a crop. I'll share my reasoning: I like how the holiday decorations and people provide a context for the bottle rocket. However, if the people were also in sharp focus, they would compete with the tiny little bottle rocket. As it is, they are "present" without being concrete enough to be subjects. I particularly like the couple at the right who are obviously watching the rocket go off, since they help direct attention to it. I shot a bunch of photos while this guy was setting off his bottle rockets, and this one (with that couple in it) works the best, I think.

I agree with your logic. The sharpness on the banners/lamps freezes the frame and everything else seems to move as it is intended to. This is like your "20 Minutes at the Temple" series of shots you did a while back. The temple was crisp and clear while the fuzzy people put it in the modern context that it lives in.

Dale

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I've always found it interesting that this thread is heavily landscape and nature oriented. Not too many people shots.

4223590491_9502fd1504_b.jpg

Great shot- I love the texture and atmosphere!

Haven't posted in this thread in months so here goes. My camera won't be here till end of this month (Canon 7D) so I've been mooching off my friends and school equipment. I started doing some video stuff with this central theme of child memories or events. That turned into places and things you loved as a child. I made this video which was also for class project and I've taken several images that I will be sharing with you guys. This is the first of them.

4239552151_f274d25848_b.jpg

C&C is always welcome. Cheers.

Did you try to white balance it? I think that'd make for a better image.

Very nice- what did you use as a source?

Sunlight was muted with a heavy snowfall. -27C with wind chill. Heavy slush on the Lake. Keebler... you know what I mean eh ? Pano from 3 handheld shots.

4241091530_0dbde6a25b_o.jpg

The muted light works so well, and the sharpness of the trees on the right balances it out nicely.

I think I also prefer the B&W. Nice shot!

Paul

mikeschmeee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009

Thanks guys! Really appreciate it!

I dumped this into PS and inverted your invert. I like the green on black a bit better, but either way this is unreal. May I add this to my desktop collection?

Oh, did the shoot set off the smoke alarms?

Dale

Yes you can most certainly can! I'd be honored :)
No I don't think the incense is strong enough to set the smoke alarm off. I was doing it all in my room anyways. No smoke alarm in there hah.
I have a few more smoke shots that I'm playing around with in Photoshop. I'll post those up later tomorrow! One by one :p

Thanks again guys!
Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.