Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
to keep the whole dark night, snow etc. experience going...

Attachments

• IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 224

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
The Photographic Life:

I just walked in the door from a white out at 11,000 feet….Sorry for the iPhone photo...

"The story is about a rough around the edges community of ski bums and Mtn. folk who live in teepees and ratty cabins with wood burning stoves above the place of billionaires in a ski town. In the Winter, they have to use snowmobiles to get to their homes. In some cases, they ride the ski hill gondola with groceries and ski down into their little hidden part of paradise."

I decided that I wanted to get a good shot at seeing these folk as they get home, so I opted for the late shift today. Up the gondola I went a little after 2 PM, snow swirling in patches of blue. After wolfing down a sandwich, I topped out and turned on my devices consisting of an avalanche beacon & Spot-II GPS transmitter, the map GPS would stay off…

After dropping into the basin a thousand feet and just over a mile in, there were the "Cabins". From a shanty made out of beer cans and tires to a 999 square foot enclave ( 1,000 foot limit ) made out of special Finnish wood costing bank. The weather got burly, just what I was hoping for, moody as hell with Ilford 400 and 3200 in a Hasselblad.

Then it got darker, my tripod came out, headlamp on, tunes on….I was alone in spicy avi conditions and no one in sight. In the thick of the woods some 2,000 feet down from where I started, a light hit the corner in the dark trench of spruce. It was a suburban with the most amazing set of tank-like tracks I has ever seen. I introduced my self, said I was on assignment and needed to meet the folks up here. They obliged me a ride back up 1,200 feet to their cabin where I shot contextual photos of their posh digs and then departed in the darkness for the next pad...

This one was the tire / can affair buried in snow with a single candle lit. After my second knock on the door and an introduction, a voice said, "You sure are early". He thought it was morning, it was 6:30 PM. After two hours of great low light photography and conversation, I headed out into the wild...

Now it was scary, visibility was low, snow was blowing in from the 10 PM position across the snowmobile tracks. I knew I had to haul, drop my light low, keep my iPhone at the ready to swap out batteries if needed. After trudging back up to 11,212 feet at the top of the road, I saw wonderful festoons of snowy light streaking through the trees, I knew I was safe, inbounds...

But I saw great images of the back of the gondola building that needed my lens's attention. So another hour went by in making images in a side ways white out. After awhile, I saw the headlamp of a snowmobile turn and hit the lodge. I knew this was my chance to avoid a walk of 3,200 vertical feet and nearly 5 miles in a strong conditions. So I followed the tracks to the lower part of the lodge and found an Australian man who lived below the lodge as a caretaker. He let me in and we sat and chatted it up over a few brews for a spell, good fun. But at 11PM, it was time to hit it, he was giving me a ride down the steep World Cup course in that crazy weather. After seeing the strap safely secure my gear in a basket, I hop on. Seeing as this is not the usual big touring sled for the ski company, I have the option of either holding onto the rear of the basket in an awkward rearward reach or around the waist of the pilot. I opt for the latter which would prove to be *very* wise.

The course was freshly groomed with about 4 inches of packed pow. We hit speeds of 45-50 in the snowstorm and I am glad I have my amber Oakleys on can keep on the terrain ahead. But then it gets insane, we are juicing it in perfect leans in off camber and then it opens up into a gulch that has seen ski racers hit 90+, straight down in a perfect 1/4 pipe for over 1,500 vertical feet…SICK!!!

We are in perfect sync on leans, the speed is unfathomable. Once we hit bottom, my sled jockey tells me we hit 85 in the gulch…..WTF!

I just walked from this, 10 rolls of film to soup tomorrow, I think the editors will be very happy, I know I am….

Wow!

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Holy cr@p, Macshroomer...! They better be some awesome pictures to live up to that story. ;) And... you're sharing here, right? At least the outtakes?

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
i'm still a newb at this, as i just got my t1i yesterday. but these were some of the shots i liked out of 200..haha, i'm still messing with the camera. lots of trial and error and test shots with different settings..

i honestly don't even know what setting i used for this.

Attachments

• IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 94

Rondue

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
PA
Bah, still another 8 hrs or so to go here...

campus_12.jpg

This is a cool photo man, please share Camera / lens and settings. I have to do a Show shoot for a friend and I would like photos like this.

I have a D300s and the 35mm 1.8 lens im researching to see if I will need the 1.4 or not.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
i'm still a newb at this, as i just got my t1i yesterday. but these were some of the shots i liked out of 200..haha, i'm still messing with the camera. lots of trial and error and test shots with different settings..

i honestly don't even know what setting i used for this.

Glad to see you are enjoying your new camera. The photo on the left is nice and full of soft colors. Keep it up and show us more, but one at a time. The mission statement of Photo of the Day is to give folks one of your best shots to view each day. There will be days when you have nothing (believe me) and having good ones in you library will keep you active.

Have a look at the Fortnight Challenge thread if you haven't already. We shoot on a theme and offer running critiques and help.

Current Topic

New Topic Discussion

Dale

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Holy cr@p, Macshroomer...! They better be some awesome pictures to live up to that story. ;) And... you're sharing here, right? At least the outtakes?

I'll share one secondary for now, the article has to publish first, a month out. Yeah, what a crazy night for sure...the magazine loves it though, wants to add a page or two onto the spread...

colemance

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2010
Photo with my Nikon

Just a little freelance with my Nikon D90

Attachments

• _DSC0050.jpg
    _DSC0050.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 94

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
This is a cool photo man, please share Camera / lens and settings. I have to do a Show shoot for a friend and I would like photos like this.

I have a D300s and the 35mm 1.8 lens im researching to see if I will need the 1.4 or not.

I have a little app called EXIF Viewer that lets me see the camera data on photos from the forums. FX120 has a Canon and the lens is a 1.4

EXIF Summary: 1/200s f/2.8 ISO1250 50mm (35mm eq:80mm)

Camera-Specific Properties:

Equipment Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 40D
Maximum Lens Aperture: f/1.4

Dale

biomorph

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2009
Salt Lake City
Just a few pictures I took with my new canon ae-1 and kodak film, developed and printed at a local drug store. These are scans of the prints. Please comment.
4255977492_80b1dccb73.jpg

4255976934_00eab27a35.jpg

4255976510_1ebef0afaf.jpg

4255975962_4ef55d97da.jpg

4255213713_3e1c364d32.jpg

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Just a few pictures I took with my new canon ae-1 and kodak film, developed and printed at a local drug store. These are scans of the prints. Please comment.
4255977492_80b1dccb73.jpg

<one at a time, please>

Hi. Maybe I should be a mod or something. :cool: Please keep it to one per day. Photo (singular) of the Day.

The first one has potential, but either you processing lab or scanner has tossed the colors off. I don't know if iPhoto will edit colors, but PhotoShop Elements will and it is not that expensive.

Dale

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
Ohh yah

Took this with my really leet Nikon D90 and "grocery store" lens.
No. Just kidding. Took with my wife's Virgin Mobile phone.
No lens, of course.
haahah

Attachments

• 201001072011000.jpg
    201001072011000.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 89
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.