Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
sorry my bad. Honest mistake. No reason to get worked up and condescending i guess.

Don't read to much into it, just that it has come up a few times recently and Dale has had the pleasure of being the first with the one shot per day reminder.:D I would say in this case re-read the post as somebody who is kinda laughing at himself for 'acting like a mod.'

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
I have a little app called EXIF Viewer that lets me see the camera data on photos from the forums. FX120 has a Canon and the lens is a 1.4

EXIF Summary: 1/200s f/2.8 ISO1250 50mm (35mm eq:80mm)

Camera-Specific Properties:

Equipment Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 40D
Maximum Lens Aperture: f/1.4

Dale

where do you get that "EXIF?"

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
This is a cool photo man, please share Camera / lens and settings. I have to do a Show shoot for a friend and I would like photos like this.

I have a D300s and the 35mm 1.8 lens im researching to see if I will need the 1.4 or not.

I took all of these photos pre-show, so I was able to get up close and work with the only lens I had with me that day (a 50 f/1.4).

Concerts are some of the toughest things to shoot, lens selection really depends on the venue and the level of access you have to the stage.

My advice is to lock exposure for a series of shots, meter using spot, AF using the center point, recompose and try to time your shots to when the lighting is the most similar in apparent intensity to when you locked your exposure. I typically will max out my sensitivity and underexpose to keep the shutter speeds high while also staying at f/2.8 or narrower to get a wider DOF.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
4254488204_883c71c64b.jpg

uglybob

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2009
New Camera experiments

NYE London 2009 taken just before midnight Nikon D90

Attachments

• London NYE 2009.jpg
    London NYE 2009.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 130

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006

Saw this in the Nikon 35 pool on Flickr yesterday! (my name is Dude With Camera if you want to add each other as a contact) DOF is a little shallow for the shot IMO but I know that's what you were going for. I still like the shot though.

Nothing special here but it was my bday yesterday and I received the 35 f/1.8 as my present so I'm pretty pumped. This was one of the first shots I took with it, some cake and Irish coffee :)

4255248537_9f7acdfdc2_b.jpg

Rondue

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
PA
I took all of these photos pre-show, so I was able to get up close and work with the only lens I had with me that day (a 50 f/1.4).

Concerts are some of the toughest things to shoot, lens selection really depends on the venue and the level of access you have to the stage.

My advice is to lock exposure for a series of shots, meter using spot, AF using the center point, recompose and try to time your shots to when the lighting is the most similar in apparent intensity to when you locked your exposure. I typically will max out my sensitivity and underexpose to keep the shutter speeds high while also staying at f/2.8 or narrower to get a wider DOF.

Thank you thank you, hopefully I can pull this off with my 35mm 1.8

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Oh My God. No joke, you look almost identical to my dad. He even had a similar jacket, wears glasses and has a grey beard. That's scary.

Great shot btw!

Erm, I didn't want to be the one to tell you. Maybe this is something you should talk to your mum about... ;)

Your photos should come with warnings to breathe deeply before viewing. They are breathless.

I can't tell you how much I like this shot, but I will try anyway.

The image is perfectly plum and level. The flag pole on the top of the building is dead vertical and the window is level. Do you use a hot-shoe level or just the one on your tripod?

Most folks would botch a shot like this, but your patience has led to just the right light on the branches to balance the misty waters to the left of the walkway. The right portion doesn't look busy or badly cropped to me due to the light and detail. The clarity of the sheen of moisture on the stones run my eye right out into the mist of the lake. Wonderful.

Thanks, Dale. Much appreciated (though, in these digital days, getting things level doesn't seem much of a chore)...

The UK continues to shiver. Windermere froze over in the winter of 1962/3. It wouldn't surprise me if it happened this winter too...

sheepsnowcrook.jpg

zeeflyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
Cool. Is this simple layering of multiple exposures?

Cheers, Yup :)

Shot in manual to make sure all shots were the same exposure, depth of field etc then auto aligned and auto blended together in photoshop... bit of manual tweaking to fix photoshop's mistakes et voila.

Was my first go, just having a play really!

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Saw this in the Nikon 35 pool on Flickr yesterday! (my name is Dude With Camera if you want to add each other as a contact) DOF is a little shallow for the shot IMO but I know that's what you were going for. I still like the shot though.

Nothing special here but it was my bday yesterday and I received the 35 f/1.8 as my present so I'm pretty pumped. This was one of the first shots I took with it, some cake and Irish coffee :)

4255248537_9f7acdfdc2_b.jpg

Yeah, it probably was too shallow. I had gone out that day with a friend to shoot in this field, and the entire thing turned out to be pretty unsuccessful. The field where we were going to shoot at had been cut down, and that location was actually private property, but we had no idea. You were literally in private property once you crossed this 6 foot bridge (where we were) and completely safe on the other side, and we saw no private property signs up. So I didn't get the shots I was hoping to get, and I'm stuck trying to salvage some in photoshop. Ah, oh well.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
Cheers, Yup :)

Shot in manual to make sure all shots were the same exposure, depth of field etc then auto aligned and auto blended together in photoshop... bit of manual tweaking to fix photoshop's mistakes et voila.

Was my first go, just having a play really!

Well, it came out great. Now you have me interested in trying this out!

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
sorry my bad. Honest mistake. No reason to get worked up and condescending i guess.

You're new. It's not "bad" and I don't mean to be condescending in any way. Really. When I first started posting my work, I was very sensitive to comments. I lived.

POTD does have rules, but they aren't posted month to month. This it a user maintained thread, so it's left to folks like me to remind those who haven't gone waaaaaay back. This thread was founded in November, 2007 and that was the last time the rules were posted.

If we police ourselves, we don't need cumbersome "Welcome to POTD Please blah blah blah...." Taking up the first page of each month.

Dale.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
You're new. It's not "bad" and I don't mean to be condescending in any way. Really. When I first started posting my work, I was very sensitive to comments. I lived.

POTD does have rules, but they aren't posted month to month. This it a user maintained thread, so it's left to folks like me to remind those who haven't gone waaaaaay back. This thread was founded in November, 2007 and that was the last time the rules were posted.

If we police ourselves, we don't need cumbersome "Welcome to POTD Please blah blah blah...." Taking up the first page of each month.

Dale.

Just want to back up what Dale said here. Every now and then somebody, in their exuberance at having found this terrific thread, will post a whole slew of photos all at once. (I didn't see how many it was this time, but I've seen posts with as many as a dozen photos included.) And then somebody else will come along and politely encourage that person to remove all but one. I'm always grateful when someone steps up to wag a finger; it helps keep the thread under control. So thank you Dale for being that person this time. And thank you biomorph for taking the time to share your work in the daily thread--the more the merrier, but one photo at a time! :)

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Caught you red handed Mrs. Emily!

Probably the last time I'll do the black border thing. I don't know why I've done that three times in a row.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.