Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Mute Swan

D85_6858-XL.jpg

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Is there a story around the taking of this pix ?

Great picture, very dangerous for photog to be near.
Thank you @a2jack This photo, along with others, was taken in Katmai National Park, Alaska. I was with a group of 4 other photographers in the park for 10 days specifically to photograph the Coastal Brown Bears of Alaska.

Dangerous? Not so much as we were under supervision at all times by a professional camp and bear guide hired for that purpose. Our guide Kent came to us with about 25 years experience camping in Alaska and photographing the bears there.

Brown bears generally don't see people as food, unlike Polar Bears, and you're safe as long as the bears don't perceive you as a threat. Bear guide aside, it's important to respect the fact that the bears are wild animals so, in most cases, we kept our distance and photographed with long lenses - all were usually shooting at 500mm minimum.

Our guide Kent taking a break during the long hike from base camp to where the bears were fishing for salmon at the mouth of a river.

D5X_8467-M.jpg

That’s beautiful Peter.
Thank you MacRy. Good to see you back...I've missed your excellent images.

~ Peter

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Thank you @a2jack This photo, along with others, was taken in Katmai National Park, Alaska. I was with a group of 4 other photographers in the park for 10 days specifically to photograph the Coastal Brown Bears of Alaska.

Dangerous? Not so much as we were under supervision at all times by a professional camp and bear guide hired for that purpose. Our guide Kent came to us with about 25 years experience camping in Alaska and photographing the bears there.

Brown bears generally don't see people as food, unlike Polar Bears, and you're safe as long as the bears don't perceive you as a threat. Bear guide aside, it's important to respect the fact that the bears are wild animals so, in most cases, we kept our distance and photographed with long lenses - all were usually shooting at 500mm minimum.

Our guide Kent taking a break during the long hike from base camp to where the bears were fishing for salmon at the mouth of a river.

D5X_8467-M.jpg

Thank you MacRy. Good to see you back...I've missed your excellent images.

~ Peter
[doublepost=1547407527][/doublepost]C+A : My barber and his guide were killed by a Kodak bear back around 1955.

They were hunters, so I guess all is fair. Love your work. A2

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Fantastic portrait
Thanks very much anotherscotsman. :)

C+A : My barber and his guide were killed by a Kodak bear back around 1955.

They were hunters, so I guess all is fair. Love your work. A2
Thanks A2.

Yeah, it does happen. :( One of the most famous and well documented cases was when Timothy Treadwell and his girlfriend were killed and eaten by a brown bear in Katmai. This happened at Halo Bay were we were camped.

There was a documentary made about the tragic incident called Grizzly Man. It was so well documented because most of the footage in the film is video captured by Mr. Treadwell. According to the documentary, his camera was on and rolling when they were killed - no visuals but the 10 minute audio portion, fortunately, was not included in the film.

In the documentary, among other aggravating circumstances, it was clear that Mr. Treadwell lost sight of the reality that the bears are wild animals.

Reactions: JamesMike

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013

C+A: I was a very young man from Michigan, and found myself up in Anchorage in the late 50's before oil. I spent time in the woods and hiked back into secluded fishing lakes.

Looking back now I was just lucky, as I made some huge errors. I never went in deep again after those deaths.

I didn't carry a camera, as film and processing cost so much. Of all the critters I interacted with I remember the little otters most fondly. A2

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
C+A: I was a very young man from Michigan, and found myself up in Anchorage in the late 50's before oil. I spent time in the woods and hiked back into secluded fishing lakes.

Looking back now I was just lucky, as I made some huge errors. I never went in deep again after those deaths.

I didn't carry a camera, as film and processing cost so much. Of all the critters I interacted with I remember the little otters most fondly. A2
I love watching and photographing river otters (no ocean nearby) and have spent many hours trying to anticipate where they're going to pop-up through the ice. Kinda reminds me of one of those carnival whack-a-mole games. :)

DSC_4547-XL.jpg

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016
Snow Day. Which was really yesterday in terms of precipitation, but the kids and I were driving home through the snow from a travel swim meet, so missed the fun part and only had the drivign with idiots part.

Today is a snow day from school for the kiddos, while this guy still had to make it to the office for a meeting this morning. #bother

It doesn't look like a ton here, but this was the third clearing in less than 24 hours (he cleared before we got home so we could make it in the garage), and this was the bit that fell overnight. All told I think we ended up with about 9".

FB_January_14_2019_001.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.