Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
My flowers were from yesterday's memorial service, as all the tables had vases of flowers on them and afterward some of us were urged to take home a vase..... They were beautiful bouquets but unfortunately, the delicate roses didn't fare too well on the car ride home as I didn't have a good way of keeping the vase and bouquet upright. The vase toppled over (in anticipation of this I had taken the precaution of pouring out the water) and subsequently some of the roses were a bit bruised. The hardier flowers were fine, though, so I decided to experiment with them. I just wanted some color after days of grey skies, white ground and icy lake!

Haven't done this in a while, well since my long-ago POTD project, but one thing I have found that is fun and interesting to shoot with a macro lens are fruits and vegetables. There are some really intriguing exotic fruits out there! Shapes, lines and colors of nature's bounty can make for captivating images.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
My flowers were from yesterday's memorial service, as all the tables had vases of flowers on them and afterward some of us were urged to take home a vase..... They were beautiful bouquets but unfortunately, the delicate roses didn't fare too well on the car ride home as I didn't have a good way of keeping the vase and bouquet upright. The vase toppled over and subsequently some of the roses were a bit bruised. The hardier flowers were fine, though, so I decided to experiment with them. I just wanted some color after days of grey skies, white ground and icy lake!
Well I’m glad they went to a good home.

The winter months here do seem to be just grey skies and not much else!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
If I had realized that we would be given vases of flowers I would have taken along a box in the car so that I could have properly protected them! I used to have a box in the car but took it out one time when I needed the space for something else (I have a small car) and just never got around to putting anything else back in the hatch area.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
If I had realized that we would be given vases of flowers I would have taken along a box in the car so that I could have properly protected them! I used to have a box in the car but took it out one time when I needed the space for something else (I have a small car) and just never got around to putting anything else back in the hatch area.
I have a box in the car for my walking boots.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
PA Preserve -20180902-22.jpg

Last edited:

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Your wildlife photos are really really stunning. Bravo to you and the patience you must have to get these shots.
Thanks E3BK, much appreciated. Probably more persistence than patience but I find as I get older the pendulum is swinging.

~ Peter

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
87d15f86c415e8494cd79b80e281a563.jpg

Same location but from another angle. I can just hang around there for hours.
Not surprised. Love the hill top poking through the clouds.
[doublepost=1547747567][/doublepost]
How many photos can I reap from one day out you ask? Comments always appreciated.

Cwm Idwal mono
by another scotsman, on Flickr
We don’t mind! Lovely reflection. Was this a long exposure? That water is like a mirror.
[doublepost=1547747643][/doublepost]
Following the lines.... a causeway out to an island.

P1040112-XL.jpg
Lovely leading line.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
No time for shooting new photos today, been working on archiving some of my older images and getting them on to external drives or shuffled around among external drives. In the process, I ran across an image from about two or three years ago that I was lucky enough to capture -- and interestingly enough it was in winter, right about this time of year, with ice on the lake..... Not a sight one sees very often, a GBH this far north and at that, venturing out on the ice; he was hungry. Glad he found some lunch in a spot under the pier!

_DSC5905.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
A bit of colour! Thank you. Much appreciated!
[doublepost=1547792933][/doublepost]
No time for shooting new photos today, been working on archiving some of my older images and getting them on to external drives or shuffled around among external drives. In the process, I ran across an image from about two or three years ago that I was lucky enough to capture -- and interestingly enough it was in winter, right about this time of year, with ice on the lake..... Not a sight one sees very often, a GBH this far north and at that, venturing out on the ice; he was hungry. Glad he found some lunch in a spot under the pier!

View attachment 816257
Birds are such an interesting subject. Our black cap has been visiting all week so I’ll try for another photo tomorrow.

Reactions: mollyc

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Aug 2, 2014
UK
We don’t mind! Lovely reflection. Was this a long exposure? That water is like a mirror.

Cheers AFB. Yes, but nothing extreme - only a 20-sec exposure. It was a lovely still, cold morning (hence a bit of ice around the rock in the foreground) so 20s was plenty.

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016
P52 | Guilty pleasures

I am following prompts on another forum, and this would not be my first choice. But then I realized as I was shooting this today, that my thought process of the diptychs and the actual setup of a macro image with a strobe was the culmination of a series of workshops I took through that site last year, and that all those thing really do add up to the perfect storm of a guilty pleasure of shooting and flowers and imagery.

FB_January_18_2019_003.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
P52 | Guilty pleasures

I am following prompts on another forum, and this would not be my first choice. But then I realized as I was shooting this today, that my thought process of the diptychs and the actual setup of a macro image with a strobe was the culmination of a series of workshops I took through that site last year, and that all those thing really do add up to the perfect storm of a guilty pleasure of shooting and flowers and imagery.

View attachment 816381
Beautiful.
[doublepost=1547835829][/doublepost]
And another....

P5271333-XL.jpg
Lovely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.