Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDonaldTrump

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Brisbane Australia
A boat
untitled.jpg

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Cheers a2jack. Not as difficult as it might sound since the sunlight was already diffused by coming through the trees. Direct, full sun is more of a problem with lens flare and poor contrast although some lenses are better than others. Key for this type of effect (and also to get sun stars if that is what you are after) is to just let the sun peek out from behind some obstacle - in this case a tree. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE

Thank you for the tip. I will wait for a foggy day and do it. Since my prospective scene is off my back porch I can choose the day. If I get something presentable I'll post. Here's what I'm seeing, as a snap shot, out the door this AM.

IMG_1729.jpg

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Lovely. But I’m a bit confused. The water and sky imply a long exposure, but the boat doesn’t seem to show any movement?
Can you tell us a few details of your settings etc? Was it a composite?

Surely the boat is static as it is grounded no?

It just looks odd, the boat sitting tilted like that seemingly out in the middle of nowhere......

My guess is the boat is listing from water into the hull.

Not to take anything away from that beautiful photograph, been there, done that ;)

We caught a rope around one of the propellers during a night patrol, and the rope was attached to a buoy chain. Stuck fast to the rope, when the tide went out we were gently lowered onto the mud, and it was the shape of the launch that made it rest at an angle.
We spent the rest of the night walking around the boat on the mud with the sea puddles freezing over it was so cold, and we were rescued the following high tide by another of our boats.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: keyrex and erayser

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Not to take anything away from that beautiful photograph, been there, done that ;)

We caught a rope around one of the propellers on a night shift, and the rope was attached to a buoy chain. Stuck fast to the rope, when the tide went out we were gently lowered onto the mud, and it was the shape of the launch that made it rest at an angle.
We spent the rest of the night walking around the boat on the mud with the sea puddles freezing over it was so cold, and we were rescued the following high tide by another of our boats.

Hugh
I would say that was caused by low tide, but the tides looked fairly high when the picture in question was taken.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

We caught a rope around one of the propellers on a night shift, and the rope was attached to a buoy chain. Stuck fast to the rope, when the tide went out we were gently lowered onto the mud, and it was the shape of the launch that made it rest at an angle.

Hugh
Something similar happened to my dad when he had a boat in Southend years ago!

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
I would say that was caused by low tide, but the tides looked fairly high when the picture in question was taken.

Yes, the boat in the photo was probably waterlogged, because with her shallow draught she would probably otherwise still be afloat.

Something similar happened to my dad when he had a boat in Southend years ago!

Funnily enough our event happened in Leigh Beck, just off Southend ;)

Hugh

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
Loch Doon Winterscape
January 2010

With everyone doing the recent internet fad called the "10 year Challenge" where we are seeing a myriad of cringey profile photos from 2009 doing the rounds - I thought it would be good to rewind through my photography archive (I'll spare you all a 2009) and I came across a few snaps I had of Loch Doon during the near-arctic conditions we experienced for a few weeks back in December 2009 / January 2010.This was taken on 10th January 2010 and I have never seen such a large Scottish loch with ice so thick.
Looking back, despite the -16°C-ish temperatures, I see this as a missed opportunity photographically. 2009-2011 was a period where I wasn't really doing much in the way of landscape photography but I wish I'd made more of this unusual weather and how it changed the landscape. Then again, if I'd been busy with the camera, I might not have been able to experience the adrenaline rush and exhilaration of 'power sledging' where I was being towed in a flimsy plastic £5 sledge along the road and across the dam by a 4x4 Land Rover Discovery!

Canon EOS 5D, EF 24-105mm f4L IS lens. Handheld with no filters. Huge crop.
1/80s / f8 / ISO 100

Loch Doon Winterscape - small PL.png

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016
Loch Doon Winterscape
January 2010

With everyone doing the recent internet fad called the "10 year Challenge" where we are seeing a myriad of cringey profile photos from 2009 doing the rounds - I thought it would be good to rewind through my photography archive (I'll spare you all a 2009) and I came across a few snaps I had of Loch Doon during the near-arctic conditions we experienced for a few weeks back in December 2009 / January 2010.This was taken on 10th January 2010 and I have never seen such a large Scottish loch with ice so thick.
Looking back, despite the -16°C-ish temperatures, I see this as a missed opportunity photographically. 2009-2011 was a period where I wasn't really doing much in the way of landscape photography but I wish I'd made more of this unusual weather and how it changed the landscape. Then again, if I'd been busy with the camera, I might not have been able to experience the adrenaline rush and exhilaration of 'power sledging' where I was being towed in a flimsy plastic £5 sledge along the road and across the dam by a 4x4 Land Rover Discovery!

Canon EOS 5D, EF 24-105mm f4L IS lens. Handheld with no filters. Huge crop.
1/80s / f8 / ISO 100

View attachment 816651

We have a 10-Year Challenge here!

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland

Re all the comments on this photo...

Perhaps the photographer will explain the circumstances, but a view like this is a common sight on the west coast of France (Brittany/Normandy).

At low tide, many ports are almost dry and boats are designed accordingly. A high percentage of French sailboats, including the one that I sail in France, use a centreboard that can be pulled up, instead of a keel, for precisely this reason. I don’t know whether it’s the same where this photo was taken, but note that the boat has a flat bottom.

In France, you take care to tie the boat up so that it is reasonably level when the tide goes out, especially if you are going to overnight in it, but it isn’t always so predictable and there can be a fair list. That is particularly true if the lines are not balanced. If you look carefully at the photo, it may well be that the line on the right side of the photo, which is presumably connected to a mooring, is causing the vessel’s list. Depending on the skipper’s schedule, the tide schedule and the anticipated weather, this may even have been deliberate.

Since some of the people who commented are from the U.K., I’ll add that the kind of centrebord design that I’m talking about is not at all common in the U.K., where if you are sailing/boating you will almost certainly tie up at a marina. The same is true of the U.S. U.K./U.S. style marinas, like the one at Cowes on the Isle of Wight, with which many of the Brits here will be familiar, at least from photos, and where I have often spent the night, are not the norm on the west coast of France.

Even if the vessel in the photo is in rough shape (hard to tell), it seems clear to me that the way that it is tied up is deliberate. The sailboat in the distance suggests that this was taken in a channel or narrow bay somewhere. I’m curious to know where now.

Last edited:
Reactions: akash.nu

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
It's a shallow tide, the boat sits here grounded in the mud/sand.

Yup, but it isn’t just sitting there grounded. As I suggested in post #368, the line on the right is a mooring line. It’s possible that it runs to an anchor in the mud, but that’s not exactly secure. My bet is that the boat is moored there regularly and that there’s a buried hunk of concrete.

What channel or bay is this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.