Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Cold bokeh

46759131502_709c8ab992_h.jpg

M9 with Jupiter 3 50mm @F1.5

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Blood Moon
(E-M1 II, 300mm)
View attachment 817590

That’s a spectacular shot. Great job.

According to NatGeo Page, a meteor hit the moon, and I caught it.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...cience-meteorlunareclipse::rid=&sf206421896=1

Since I broke my telephoto lens last week, I had to use my cheap Tamron 16-300 3.5, and this is what I caught.

Make sure to check your photos.

View attachment 817757

Wow great timing fella. I saw the video of it and it’s a blink and you’ll miss it type event, so you was very fortunate with your timing.

Reactions: malofx

mpfuchs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
VA

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...cience-meteorlunareclipse::rid=&sf206421896=1

Since I broke my telephoto lens last week, I had to use my cheap Tamron 16-300 3.5, and this is what I caught.

View attachment 817757

I was really excited too, when I checked my photos. Turned out to be a spot on my sensor.
First thing to do is check the time of your picture vs. the time of impact.
Also make sure your location of impact matches where the official location was reported.

Last edited:

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I was really excited too, when I checked my photos. Turned out to be a spot on my sensor.
First thing to do is check the time of your picture vs. the time of impact.
Also make sure your location of impact matches what where the official location was reported.

From the video I saw the location looks about right.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Blood Moon
(E-M1 II, 300mm)
View attachment 817590
Cursed clouds! Lovely.
[doublepost=1548365840][/doublepost]
Dug-up another from the Zambia archives to mess around with b & w.

D4S_3162-Edit-XL.jpg
Works well.
[doublepost=1548365874][/doublepost]

View attachment 817757
Very cool.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
From the video I saw the location looks about right.
I think not. I can't of course rule out that @malofx caught an impact, but it doesn't seem to be the impact that went through the news.

Here's the picture from the astronomer who reported it, rotated to match malofx's picture:
m0iy3Hz.png

That impact was pretty much exactly on the other side.

I already checked my pictures. I happened to take three or four shots in short succession in the correct timeframe, but no luck. It's literally a matter of a tenth of a second.

Reactions: redshifted

malofx

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2012
Los Angeles
I think not. I can't of course rule out that @malofx caught an impact, but it doesn't seem to be the impact that went through the news.

Here's the picture from the astronomer who reported it, rotated to match malofx's picture:
m0iy3Hz.png

I already checked my pictures. I happened to take three or four shots in short succession in the correct timeframe, but no luck. It's literally a matter of a tenth of a second.

I know very little about how this works, but I think I took a shot of the meteor itself, and not the impact, if that is true, then I caught it while it was moving, but I can be totally wrong.

One thing is for sure, I checked the photos before and after within seconds, and the little speck of light isn't there on neither.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)

m0iy3Hz.png

Maybe people of old were right—the moon is really made of cheese and the meteor went right through!

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I know very little about how this works, but I think I took a shot of the meteor itself, and not the impact, if that is true, then I caught it while it was moving, but I can be totally wrong.
That's unfortunately very unlikely. The rock is estimated to have weighed maybe a few kilograms, and to have had the size of a football. Something of this size is pretty much impossible to capture even with a large telescope at these distances.

Hard to say what you captured there. What I can rule out, though, would be a satellite. These move so fast that it would have left a noticeable trace instead of just a spot.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.