Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Old Meets New: Where the new Bay Bridge meets its predecessor...

BridgeGlam.jpg

I loved my Latin and mythology classes back in my day. I'm sure very few American high school students ever get exposed to this anymore. My teachers always had lots of posters of ancient ruins in the classroom--all slightly overexposed if I recall, with blown out skies.

Your shots are *so* much better! Did you use a polarizer for this shot?

Many thanks, Greg! On that shot, I know I used an ND-grad, but I may have used a CPL in addition; I really don't remember. I actually began my project with the goal of developing a massive library of images for teaching, to compensate for the very situation you describe. I'm still doing that, but it has evolved into a side job for me as more people in the field hear about what I'm doing and want to use the images themselves. Most of the images from this project do not ever appear here on MR; I prefer to post my "fun" shots here--but of course there is some overlap. ;)

For some reason, I can't view either of your attachments... it comes up invalid attachment or some such...and the image you posted simply doesn't appear... and I tried both Safari and Firefox. Can anyone else view them?

I can't view them either, and I'm rather relieved--not sure that whatever they reveal is something I want so prominently displayed, especially my email address. :eek:

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Privacy Notice 2

Must be losing my touch:eek: Try this...

Hi. I have been messing with the new EXIF extension for Safari 5.0.1 and found that it reveals information imbedded in EXIF info that other viewers don't. Notably the name of the author if it is in the file. Here are screen shots of the same photo using different methods of viewing photo information.

This is what PhotoShop CS3 shows me about this post.

phil2f.jpg

Here is the same image viewed in Firefox with the EXIF viewer extension.

phil3.jpg

And this is the EXIF plugin for Safari available from Apple. The author name is desplayed in full. Hi, Phil <snip>! The info displayed on Phrasikleia's most recent post is the same as PhotoShop CS3 can see, so I don't think it's a version issue with PhotoShop. She's using CS5. All I see is her email, which has been the same for years, Phrasikleia@SomeEuropeanServer.com. I left the last one big to catch your attention.

phil1.jpg

Just something to think about. PM me if you wand anything deleted from this.

Dale

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I know that viewing the exif in Flickr shows my name. I wonder how it all compares to Jeff's exif viewer webpage...

I fixed my images. I see you use your full name on your Flickr account (so do I), so that's where the Safari extension is pulling the data. Quite a few people use their true names on Flickr, but screen names in forums. So I guess this is only of concern to Flickr users who wish to conceal their identities.

Dale

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I've got a whole lot of catching up to do... and can't even hope to comment on all the ones I've really noticed lately, but I'll try a few...

A rare rainbow early this morning in the southwest sky over Las Vegas.

950446221_UQQsq-XL.jpg

This really a cool shot, and not something you'd expect to see much of in that climate, although I know it does rain more than some folks realize. Lovely colors, and great timing...

This is quite the exotic setting... and great composition. I find myself looking all around the image as I trace the water backward to the several waterfalls in the background. Nice detail, exposure... the whole works. BTW, where in Asia is this?

Korean and Vietnam War Memorial. Yakima, Washington.

warmemorialyakima.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/400s f/6.3 ISO100 Tamron 28-75 f2.8@28mm

Dale

Simple, effective composition for a place of contemplation and remembrances. This picture makes me want to walk up that path and linger there awhile... nice job!

920803527_3L8eo-XL.jpg

Pentax k200d 50mm f5.6 Iso 200 1/180s

Just love this kind of light in the desert southwest... and you captured it effectively. Another shot that makes me want to linger awhile... right there in that place.

Old Meets New: Where the new Bay Bridge meets its predecessor...

BridgeGlam.jpg
Great contrast in architectural style here, and the image composition is just about perfect, as either side leads me to the middle distance... where the spans appear to almost merge. Shots like this make me just stop and ogle the engineering marvels human beings are capable of...today, not to mention all your amazing archaeological shots from eons past...

WhiteOnPink.jpg

50mm, f/8, 1/250s, ISO200

Simple, clean and effective. Love the colors... also, your previous shot of the waterfront and boats was one I noticed every time I went past it. I like the warm tones in that one, and it almost has a look that says it was taken 30 years ago, something old film-ish I can't exactly explain. It's an alluring picture, and again... I want to be there. :)

NevadaJack

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
I've got a whole lot of catching up to do... and can't even hope to comment on all the ones I've really noticed lately, but I'll try a few...

This really a cool shot, and not something you'd expect to see much of in that climate, although I know it does rain more than some folks realize. Lovely colors, and great timing...

Thanks. We get only 4" a year here but we get a lot of rain that never reaches the ground... I think they call is Virga? It is like a fine mist and this was at 6:15am or so and the rising sun was just right to illuminate the misty rain. I note the large amber color tint to the right of the rainbow itself which is kind of odd but the rainbow itself was almost brilliant and well defined.

Here is a fuller shot:

950446209_Gh6tf-XL.jpg

Jack

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
Simple, clean and effective. Love the colors... also, your previous shot of the waterfront and boats was one I noticed every time I went past it. I like the warm tones in that one, and it almost has a look that says it was taken 30 years ago, something old film-ish I can't exactly explain. It's an alluring picture, and again... I want to be there. :)

Thank you for the compliments! Does it count that the lens that was used to take that photo is 32 years old? :)

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
This is quite the exotic setting... and great composition. I find myself looking all around the image as I trace the water backward to the several waterfalls in the background. Nice detail, exposure... the whole works. BTW, where in Asia is this?

Luang Prabang (Laos)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Very cute pup! Crop, crop, crop! Try to get closer to the pup when you take more shots, although I realize sometimes pups won't stand still when you do this... ;) So, use a telephoto to do a nice, tight shot. But speaking of this image, it could use a severe pruning to get rid of all the surrounding space. If this pup is yours, you'll have a fun photo subject for quite a few years to come... :)

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
To reiterate:::
Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post multiple images in one message.

*Quote with Thumbnails - If you quote an image that has tags, convert them to [img] tags before replying. This will post your comment with a thumbnail and save space. Failure to [img] in quotes is still a problem at this time. Help fix that.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. The Moderators like that. Observe the [img] policy here, too (especially).[/quote]

Mine for today:

[IMG]http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3066/paintspot.jpg
EXIF Summary: 1/400s f/6.3 ISO100 100mm macro 2.8

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC

The Celebration of Light fireworks show took place in English Bay in Vancouver Wednesday, July 28, 2010 with team Mexico displaying a "Journey" through music themed show.

That's an awesome shot... much better than any of mine from last night. I sent you a PM with some questions. :) I think the sky in the background of yours makes for a more interesting photo, compared to the darkness and portion of cityscape in mine... i think you're also using an overall brighter exposure setting than me.

Here's one of the better ones from my set...

p110895079-4.jpg

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
The itsy-bitsy spider crawled down his little thread.....
_MG_5294.jpg

After big storm on 7/15 "angry skies" ... we experienced the "evening magic hour" with storm clouds, I took out my T1i, new Canon 15-85 lens, tripod, and got some shots.
ISO 100, 15-85 lens @ 85mm, 1/50 sec, f 5.6
The little guy is just so slighty outta focus, when I moved back to get him in focus was really small, and he was also moving outta the pict zone....

Took a few of these, will post more later (1/day rule)
In hindsight next time I'll take a few with off camera flash as well, might be more interesting or offer different feeling to see green colors in the white pines....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.