Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
It's been a hard day's ... work

ItsBeenAHardDaysWork.jpg

200mm, f/4, 1/2000s, ISO200

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Abandoned column

This is an abandoned column in an ancient marble quarry. It probably developed a stress fracture while the carvers were roughing it out, so they abandoned it, about 2,000 years ago.

QuarryColumn.jpg

I went with a six-second exposure to minimize the texture in the water, which I thought was competing with the texture in the rocks.

Fujiko7

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
London UK
wow, very, very sharp! wish i could've got this from my 1000d haha :( what glass did you use to take this shot/ what kinda of pp?

Thanks - glad you liked it :D! The lens I used was a Sigma 18-200. PP was in Aperture. I basically used the Cross Process 1 preset (under Presets -> Color) and boosted Shadow and Edges a bit. Here are the detailed adjustments:

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 81

NeverhadaPC

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
Niagara Falls

Hi guys,

I was amazed at the quality of the posts on this thread. I am by no means a "photographer" but enjoy looking for what I consider "neat" shots but I am using a Canon IS5 camera with no lenses and I do not even know much about aperture, etc... and usually just use the "Auto" setting so bear with me.

Here is a photo I took at the Statue of Liberty from the crown looking down the double-helix staircase.

Any advice is HIGHLY appreciated and I heave learned a lot just from reading some of the posts but would love some as much critique as possible.

Take care.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
looking sunward...

One body, one lens continued, but this time I dusted off the 300f/4 (older non-s) and went outside my door in mid-afternoon to see if anything at all came of it... trying to see what I could actually find in mainly unflattering, bright afternoon sun. It's a challenge, making myself take pictures when nothing interesting is going on, the light is super contrasty, and without driving anywhere... :)

D300, 300f/4, 1/800, f/5.6, ISO200

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Let Loose

We have baby frogs in our pond, this is how I found out, almost trod on it, obviously an intrepid explorer.

Camera: Canon EOS 1000D
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/1000)
Aperture: f/5.0
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 200

nesuser2

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2004
NW Ohio
Any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated!

UVA Lawn:
P1020303.jpg

not criticism but I would enjoy seeing this show with the people(subjects at a far?) either closer or removed..just to see the difference. You may have got the winner but I would like to see them all...just my 2 cents!

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
mind sharing any info on this pic? I'm looking at picking up a wide angle lens but don't know much more than enough to be dangerous!

simple pic with awesome results, love this one!

not criticism but I would enjoy seeing this show with the people(subjects at a far?) either closer or removed..just to see the difference. You may have got the winner but I would like to see them all...just my 2 cents!

Hi. Just a couple of pointers for you. MacRumors has a site wide rule against consecutive posting. If you want to comment on two or more posts, use the multi-quote button. Another thing you ned to do with all image quotes is to make them thumbnails. Change the tag to [img] to do this. Several months ago I was asked to develop guidelines for POTD, and they are posted way back on the first post of each month. I put together tutorials on how to do all this that can be found by the link in my sig.

Regards, Designer Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.