Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
Docked

Docked.jpg

90mm, f/8, 1/750s, ISO200

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Swordtail fern

Another vegetation shot ;) with my Nikkor 300f/4 ED-IF on the D300 @ ISO 1600. You've got to love green if you live in the forest of the Oregon coast range. This particular shot was at ISO 1600 because I was largely in the shadows with this long lens hand-held, even though it was mid-afternoon and bright and sunny. The light was definitely widely varying in brightness depending on where I was, so on the day I was frequently changing from ISO 200 to 1600 and back.

D300, 300mmf/4, 1/640, f/5.6, ISO1600

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
A windy day adds drama to a wheat field... Some would say it's blurred, I prefer the word 'movement' ;) I know the sky isn't great - it was a dull day... Comments very much appreciated!

Attachments

• Corn 3.jpg
    Corn 3.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 114

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
A windy day adds drama to a wheat field... Some would say it's blurred, I prefer the word 'movement' ;) I know the sky isn't great - it was a dull day... Comments very much appreciated!

I've seen some very atmospheric pix of wheatfields waving in the wind, but, sorry, this isn't one of them. Looks like something to experiment with: particularly shutter speeds, lighting conditions (stormy sky + sunlight), maybe even some fill-in flash or a bit of contrasting colour (a stray poppy?)...

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
I've seen some very atmospheric pix of wheatfields waving in the wind, but, sorry, this isn't one of them. Looks like something to experiment with: particularly shutter speeds, lighting conditions (stormy sky + sunlight), maybe even some fill-in flash or a bit of contrasting colour (a stray poppy?)...

I was kinda expecting that... It was a fairly rushed photo as it was about to rain, I didn't plan on shooting this image, I was in a field Photographing RC model Helicopters...

So maybe a slower shutter speed to show the wheat swaying side to side? I was just thinking how it would look with a poppy in the frame... maybe this is for next time.

Thank You

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I was kinda expecting that... It was a fairly rushed photo as it was about to rain, I didn't plan on shooting this image, I was in a field Photographing RC model Helicopters...

So maybe a slower shutter speed to show the wheat swaying side to side? I was just thinking how it would look with a poppy in the frame... maybe this is for next time.

Yup... Be single-minded enough to try and get good shots of the corn, while being flexible enough to take advantage of the changing light. I'd find it hard to be trying to photograph two different subjects at the same time. A bit of thought and forward planning can pay off, I reckon, and sloooooooow down... ;)

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
Yup... Be single-minded enough to try and get good shots of the corn, while being flexible enough to take advantage of the changing light. I'd find it hard to be trying to photograph two different subjects at the same time. A bit of thought and forward planning can pay off, I reckon, and sloooooooow down... ;)

For sure I will slow down, I didn't have much time because it was about to pour down with rain (typical UK weather!). I already have an image in my mind of what I want to achieve but i"m sure it will all change on location...

Thank You

GregPQ

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2010
Massachusetts
I loved my Latin and mythology classes back in my day. I'm sure very few American high school students ever get exposed to this anymore. My teachers always had lots of posters of ancient ruins in the classroom--all slightly overexposed if I recall, with blown out skies.

Your shots are *so* much better! Did you use a polarizer for this shot?

One body, one lens continued, but this time I dusted off the 300f/4 (older non-s) and went outside my door in mid-afternoon to see if anything at all came of it... trying to see what I could actually find in mainly unflattering, bright afternoon sun. It's a challenge, making myself take pictures when nothing interesting is going on, the light is super contrasty, and without driving anywhere... :)

D300, 300f/4, 1/800, f/5.6, ISO200
Well I think you succeeded! Just curious about the -2/3 compensation . Did you set that yourself, manually, or was it dictated by the camera somehow? I'm enjoying the new EXIF extension in Safari 5.0.1, can you tell?
Greg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Hi. I have been messing with the new EXIF extension for Safari 5.0.1 and found that it reveals information imbedded in EXIF info that other viewers don't. Notably the name of the author if it is in the file. Here are screen shots of the same photo using different methods of viewing photo information.

This is what PhotoShop CS3 shows me about this post.

attachment.php

Here is the same image viewed in Firefox with the EXIF viewer extension.

attachment.php

And this is the EXIF plugin for Safari available from Apple. The author name is desplayed in full. Hi, Phil <snip>! The info displayed on Phrasikleia's most recent post is the same as PhotoShop CS3 can see, so I don't think it's a version issue with PhotoShop. She's using CS5. All I see is her email, which has been the same for years, Phrasikleia@SomeEuropeanServer.com. I left the last one big to catch your attention.

attachment.php

Just something to think about. PM me if you wand anything deleted from this.

Dale

For some reason, I can't view either of your attachments... it comes up invalid attachment or some such...and the image you posted simply doesn't appear... and I tried both Safari and Firefox. Can anyone else view them?

BTW, the only personal info that would be in any exif info is something the camera owner put into the datafields, or added in PP, so I don't think it's too much of a privacy issue, but good to know. I know that viewing the exif in Flickr shows my name. I wonder how it all compares to Jeff's exif viewer webpage...

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
This photo has convinced me that i need to invest in some new glass. I was trying out my Aunt's 70-300mm Sigma i think on my old Canon Rebel 35mm. I never could have gotten this with my kit 35-80mm.

Now, regarding the photo. The background may be a little busy, and the other flowers right behind the focal point kind of take away from the effect. What do you think? Any comments would be much appreciated.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
This photo has convinced me that i need to invest in some new glass. I was trying out my Aunt's 70-300mm Sigma i think on my old Canon Rebel 35mm. I never could have gotten this with my kit 35-80mm.

Now, regarding the photo. The background may be a little busy, and the other flowers right behind the focal point kind of take away from the effect. What do you think? Any comments would be much appreciated.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4129/4839740310_3139ea588b_b.jpg
[\URL]

Don't doubt it at all, it's a beautiful image, this is why I love film so much, it simply produces better photos, it might not stand up to digital in terms of detail, but for simply look alone, film is better by far. Wonderful photo, love it.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Don't doubt it at all, it's a beautiful image, this is why I love film so much, it simply produces better photos, it might not stand up to digital in terms of detail, but for simply look alone, film is better by far. Wonderful photo, love it.

Thanks! I'm just getting into photography and I'm really starting to get hooked. I picked up the old Rebel really cheap just to get into SLR's. I just bought a Rebel XT on ebay tonight to move into the digital world, but i will definitely keep the film Rebel around to play with.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Well I think you succeeded! Just curious about the -2/3 compensation . Did you set that yourself, manually, or was it dictated by the camera somehow? I'm enjoying the new EXIF extension in Safari 5.0.1, can you tell?
Greg

Good question...since I mostly shoot aperture preferred, I just dropped the exp. comp down a couple of clicks on the fly because I knew the darker background would likely cause the white flowers to overexpose. I wasn't spotmetering since the flowers were moving just a bit, but I can't remember whether I used evaluative metering or center-weighted metering (I change all the time on the fly, gotta love the D300 ;)) but the exif should tell you. Often, I'll dial the exp. comp down based on a gut feeling about the scene, knowing the camera will want to make everything a nice "neutral" tone, when I want to keep the darker tones as they are--and the camera trying to 'brighten' a scene with a predominantly darker background will surely blow any lighter parts or highlights, especially if there's a strong contrast between subject and darker background. I'll usually do a quick 'chimp' to see if I'm in the ballpark, and check if the highlights are blinking. It's a lot easier to check exposure that way in the bright daylight than to try to actually judge the shot via the LCD screen. The blinking catches your eye pretty easy, if you can set your display to show the blown highlights this way. I think most dSLRs can do this. The general idea for me is to try to expose just short of clipping the highlights where I still want detail, and in this case 2/3 stop seemed to be pretty close.

Hope that long-winded answer helped... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.