Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MDF314159265

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Temecula, CA
Another Nikon guy! Glad to see you are doing it properly ;)

Welcome to the POTD thread. Nice opening photo.

Almost went mirrorless (Sony a6500 was another option), but in my reading up on the hardware, there were mentions of autofocus being slower on mirrorless vs. DLSRs. I imagine 300+ focus points vs. 51 might have something to do with that. But 90% of my photos will be of kids and focus needs to be as quick as possible with kids! Very happy with my Nikon thus far though.

Nice! Welcome! For an image like this with lots of light, I would probably stop down the aperture a bit. It looks like you caught focus on the foam, which is great, but with the rocks, and especially bird, I feel like they should be in focus as well, and right now they are a bit soft. It could just be way the image was saved for web, though.
[doublepost=1530302939][/doublepost]

Even in the full resolution image, these points are a bit soft too. I only recently acquired the 50mm f/1.8 lens, so I’ve been leaning toward wide open aperture; you’re exactly right - I narrowed my focal length too much with that. I appreciate your input!!
I read and watched so much on all this - on focal length, aperture, but it all goes kablooey when you’re out shooting. Ha!

Reactions: keyrex and needfx

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
This old barn has since been torn down, unfortunately. I wish I would have stopped by during sunset hours.
iPhone 7+, edited in Luminar 2018.

IMG_1075.jpg

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
DSC_0529.jpg

Hit over 100 yesterday, so I set my garden wand to mist to let the kids play in it so they could be outside for awhile. Made a dew-like effect on the portulaca.

Okay, I've been perusing these monthly PotD threads long enough - admiring everyone's great work. It's time to jump in.

I consider myself fairly new to photography; just picked up my first "serious" camera in April. Otherwise, I've only ever captured iPhone shots (which have never quite captured the scene as my eyes see it). I would love for you all, you most excellent photographers, to give me your input; be it adjust "this" or "that" on my shots/editing or correcting my terminology.
With that said, I give you my first submission, with no title whatsoever:

View attachment 768303

Nikon D7500, AF-S Nikkor 50mm, ISO 320, f/3.2, 1/6400, edited in native "Photos" app on iMacs.
Welcome to the POTD thread! I lived in San Diego proper for a short time, but my work was mostly in the mountains of San Diego county. I know you have plenty of good landscapes to work with!

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Okay, I've been perusing these monthly PotD threads long enough - admiring everyone's great work. It's time to jump in.

I consider myself fairly new to photography; just picked up my first "serious" camera in April. Otherwise, I've only ever captured iPhone shots (which have never quite captured the scene as my eyes see it). I would love for you all, you most excellent photographers, to give me your input; be it adjust "this" or "that" on my shots/editing or correcting my terminology.
With that said, I give you my first submission, with no title whatsoever:

View attachment 768303

Nikon D7500, AF-S Nikkor 50mm, ISO 320, f/3.2, 1/6400, edited in native "Photos" app on iMacs.

Welcome I’ve noticed your likes in the past. Keep the momentum going.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Stormy Weather.

Only had half the group turn up on Friday due to Wintertime illnesses, so I was able to take my camera and grab some frames as well. I took about 12 frames all up and this was the standout for me. It needed no faffing at all in post-production, and is basically straight out of camera, with just a slight crop and vignette applied.

Canon 6D, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L, Spot Metering, Aperture Priority
ISO 100, 105mm, f/4, 1/4000

_MG_2778-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.