Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Just watch yourself .... all the damage you do to yourself when you're young returns to haunt you when you get older .(just personal experience , hopefully YMMV)

tell me about it... my knee is starting to bother me, my ribs are sore most days form being kicked too often doing martial arts as a kid and I need my arms lengthened to be able to read now... so be careful and recover properly dont rush it
[doublepost=1530189522][/doublepost]
Headshots are serious business.
View attachment 768040

Great big eyes.... lovely

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Knee fortunately got better during the day, I was able to perform in terms of agility!

Cheers to all our aching joints!
//////////////

Real or Fake photo?

I think I will go for real... Might make a fool of myself here but I think it is....
[doublepost=1530193185][/doublepost]OK, so not a great picture. This was from an impromptu walk in the bird park next to my hotel this week. A little wander to walk off dinner, had only the RX100 with me.

They have these African Ground Hornbills which I think are the weirdest birds I have seen.

This little fella was definitely growling at me and his eye was very human like with the eye lashes.

_DSC4772.jpg by Ken OHagan, on Flickr

Last edited:

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Knee fortunately got better during the day, I was able to perform in terms of agility!

Cheers to all our aching joints!
//////////////

Real or Fake photo?

Ooh, I do like a tease. File date says 1st April! Lighting on the wall in the shadow of the hill. Both of these suggest fake. Something seems a little out of focus on the left most part of the wall - this suggests some compositing work which would suggest fake. But then without a true sense of scale or angle, I'm going to go against these suspicions and say real.

Reactions: kenoh and needfx

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
I love the candle one. I had an idea for something similar but never had a chance to execute so sat out the challenge.
Which one did you like? The one with the lit candle or the extinguished one? Both were done in the same session using the same camera setup and lighting.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: mollyc

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I love the candle one. I had an idea for something similar but never had a chance to execute so sat out the challenge.

And I’m gonna have to sit it out this time around simply because I literally don’t have a single mirror type shot.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
And I’m gonna have to sit it out this time around simply because I literally don’t have a single mirror type shot.
The idea of a challenge is to go out and take something new ;)
I'm not always the best example of doing this as I dip into archives myself sometimes, but try it; it helps a lot with gaining experience.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: akash.nu and mollyc

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
@mollyc , @someoldguy , @Apple fanboy , @kenoh , @Donka , @akash.nu

REAL

Good deductive reasoning from most of you.

I wouldn't place the church so tight in the corner, that is true AFB. The out of focus point Donka mentioned was a clone-stamp correction I made of a pole that was getting on my nerves. Molly's point regarding the scale of the building was what made the image ambiguous in nature.

Thanks for playing along :)

edit: did anyone notice the person sitting right outside the church?
/////////////////

Last edited:

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016
179/365 | Backlit

FB_June_28_2018_001.jpg

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
@mollyc , @someoldguy , @Apple fanboy , @kenoh , @Donka , @akash.nu

REAL

Good deductive reasoning from most of you.

I wouldn't place the church so tight in the corner, that is true AFB. The out of focus point Donka mentioned was a clone-stamp correction I made of a pole that was getting on my nerves. Molly's point regarding the scale of the building was what made the image ambiguous in nature.

Thanks for playing along :)

edit: did anyone notice the person sitting right outside the church?
/////////////////

Nice image here. Like the feel.

On the teaser, I saw the person. The bit that made me think real was the trees on the ridge to the left of the building. I thought they were more tree than shrub like but I didnt trust myself to comment on it.

Reactions: needfx

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I love how this shows the difference of the ground either so if the ridge. Is that snow on the left?

Yeah that’s snow. Eventually we reached to the point of no visuals at all. -15°C with 60mph gust of wind. Some of the pictures I posted earlier.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently

I sorely wish the car was not as shaky, but an interesting frame nonetheless (imho).
Is there a piece of software that un-shakes/sharpens specific pixels or do I have to go in there and start brushing? edit: just found smartdeblur, will test and revert!

Sony ILCE-6500 | 24-70mm F4 OSS
1" iso 800 ƒ/5.6 70.0 mm

Last edited:

MDF314159265

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Temecula, CA

I sorely wish the car was not as shaky, but an interesting frame nonetheless (imho).
Is there a piece of software that un-shakes/sharpens specific pixels or do I have to go in there and start brushing?

Sony ILCE-6500 | 24-70mm F4 OSS
1" iso 800 ƒ/5.6 70.0 mm

Reminds me of the original Italian Job movie - a getaway scene!

Reactions: needfx

MDF314159265

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Temecula, CA
Okay, I've been perusing these monthly PotD threads long enough - admiring everyone's great work. It's time to jump in.

I consider myself fairly new to photography; just picked up my first "serious" camera in April. Otherwise, I've only ever captured iPhone shots (which have never quite captured the scene as my eyes see it). I would love for you all, you most excellent photographers, to give me your input; be it adjust "this" or "that" on my shots/editing or correcting my terminology.
With that said, I give you my first submission, with no title whatsoever:

DSC_5933.jpg

Nikon D7500, AF-S Nikkor 50mm, ISO 320, f/3.2, 1/6400, edited in native "Photos" app on iMacs.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Okay, I've been perusing these monthly PotD threads long enough - admiring everyone's great work. It's time to jump in.

I consider myself fairly new to photography; just picked up my first "serious" camera in April. Otherwise, I've only ever captured iPhone shots (which have never quite captured the scene as my eyes see it). I would love for you all, you most excellent photographers, to give me your input; be it adjust "this" or "that" on my shots/editing or correcting my terminology.

View attachment 768303

Nikon D7500, AF-S Nikkor 50mm, ISO 320, f/3.2, 1/6400, edited in native "Photos" app on iMacs.
Another Nikon guy! Glad to see you are doing it properly ;)

Welcome to the POTD thread. Nice opening photo.

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016

View attachment 768303

Nice! Welcome! For an image like this with lots of light, I would probably stop down the aperture a bit. It looks like you caught focus on the foam, which is great, but with the rocks, and especially bird, I feel like they should be in focus as well, and right now they are a bit soft. It could just be way the image was saved for web, though.
[doublepost=1530302939][/doublepost]180/365 | In a row

FB_June_29_2018_001-2.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.