Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
C4941DF1-FD5B-41FF-9987-B8DBCD1DBEDA.jpeg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Lovely.
[doublepost=1530035397][/doublepost]
Moooo! :p
(Olympus E-3, 8mm, Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland) View attachment 767779
Love the unique viewpoint.
[doublepost=1530035428][/doublepost]
Woman walking across a bridge

View attachment 767785
Nice.
[doublepost=1530035466][/doublepost]
Is that the building work for terminal 3?
[doublepost=1530035497][/doublepost]
177/365 | Marigold and grass

View attachment 767784
Lovely colours.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
A note to self and cautionary tale for yous.

IMG_8218.jpg

So there I was a few hours ago on a trial run for a dance show we will be covering tomorrow (video on my part), and I was looking for a cool place to pin my gopro for some overhead shots.

I am not sure how this thing is called in theaters, but it is a fixed metal construction on the side of the stage, where the light guys and other technicians do their things. In this case, it is a two-storey one, and you can reach each storey by a vertical ladder fixed to the wall, and each "floor" has a hole for access from the ladder. Not sure if I am explaining this right or clearly enough. You can see the opposing one in the upper right portion of the photo, at the side of the stage.

Anyway, there I was, trying to find an unobstructed frame through my iphone since the wide angle FOV is somewhat similar to the gopro's.

I was so absorbed by trying to find the frame, that I forgot about the hole on each flight, and suddenly I lose all ground from my feet and gravity took over.

I do not know what kind of reflexes or instinct got over me, but I grabbed the rail in front of me while banging my elbow, knee and back all over the place. I also dropped the phone which miraculously came out of this alive. There is only a speck of a crack, and I am not exaggerating with the word speck.

This was easy about 4,5m of a drop, with obstacles on the way which would mean a hard fall with multiple bangs on my way down and a s**t-load of fractured bones, if I survived it at all.

Fun facts:
-The inner side of my left arm is wonderfully scratched. Left elbow, right knee and right lower quadrant of my back are aching like mofos. Not sure how they will be tomorrow.

-In my jeans back pocket, I had my workmate's A7III which I had picked up earlier from Sony Service. It had an IBIS problem and the whole mainboard was replaced by Sony Poland. I had to pick it up, as he could not, and because he would need it for tomorrow. I did not want to leave it in the trunk of the car as there is a rise in car break-ins, and did not want to leave it at the "command center" of the theater either, as plenty of people were coming and going.

-Despite clinging to life, I watched the phone drop and when it dropped, I saw the dancers' reaction to the bang the phone made. I was kinda embarrassed when they realized I was hanging like a banana.

-If I had a full camera in hand, I do not know what my reflexes would have been. Or if they remained the same, I would be a camera and lens poorer.

-On the subject of reflexes, I have had curious reflexes with my equipment in the past. One glorious example was during a gig about 3 months ago, I had placed my camera/monopod on a wall, and I was standing in front of it. I had no visual of the 2K rig about to fall (A6500/70-200/f4), but for some reason I grabbed it while it was falling. Day and wallet saved. I had a few other instances with studio flash head and lenses, but this was the most magical due to the lack of visual.

-While stumbling to get about after the leap of the death avoidance, my favorite t-shirt got ripped on the left sleeve by a protruding nail on the wall. F*** my life.

Safety first my friends, ams, ampros, pros.
Do not get too absorbed in finding frames in dodgy situations and do not take safety for granted.

Patrick

Last edited:

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016

View attachment 767877

So there I was a few hours ago on a trial run for a dance show we will be covering tomorrow (video on my part), and I was looking for a cool place to pin my gopro for some overhead shots.

I am not sure how this thing is called in theaters, but it is a fixed metal construction on the side of the stage, where the light guys and other technicians do their things. In this case, it is a two-storey one, and you can reach each storey by a vertical ladder fixed to the wall, and each "floor" has a hole for access from the ladder. Not sure if I am explaining this right or clearly enough. You can see the opposing one in the upper right portion of the photo, at the side of the stage.

Anyway, there I was, trying to find an unobstructed frame through my iphone since the wide angle FOV is somewhat similar to the gopro's.

I was so absorbed by trying to find the frame, that I forgot about the hole on each flight, and suddenly I lose all ground from my feet and gravity took over.

I do not know what kind of reflexes or instinct got over me, but I grabbed the rail in front of me while banging my elbow, knee and back all over the place. I also dropped the phone which miraculously came out of this alive. There is only a speck of a crack, and I am not exaggerating with the word speck.

This was easy about 4,5m of a drop, with obstacles on the way which would mean a hard fall with multiple bangs on my way down and a s**t-load of fractured bones, if I survived it at all.

Fun facts:
-The inner side of my left arm is wonderfully scratched. Left elbow, right knee and right lower quadrant of my back are aching like mofos. Not sure how they will be tomorrow.

-In my jeans back pocket, I had my workmate's A7III which I had picked up earlier from Sony Service. It had an IBIS problem and the whole mainboard was replaced by Sony Poland. I had to pick it up, as he could not, and because he would need it for tomorrow. I did not want to leave it in the trunk of the car as there is a rise in car break-ins, and did not want to leave it at the "command center" of the theater either, as plenty of people were coming and going.

-Despite clinging to life, I watched the phone drop and when it dropped, I saw the dancers' reaction to the bang the phone made. I was kinda embarrassed when they realized I was hanging like a banana.

-If I had a full camera in hand, I do not know what my reflexes would have been. Or if they remained the same, I would be a camera and lens poorer.

-On the subject of reflexes, I have had curious reflexes with my equipment in the past. One glorious example was during a gig about 3 months ago, I had placed my camera/monopod on a wall, and I was standing in front of it. I had no visual of the 2K rig about to fall (A6500/70-200/f4), but for some reason I grabbed it while it was falling. Day and wallet saved. I had a few other instances with studio flash head and lenses, but this was the most magical due to the lack of visual.

-While stumbling to get about after the leap of the death avoidance, my favorite t-shirt got ripped on the left sleeve by a protruding nail on the wall. F*** my life.

Do not get too absorbed in finding frames in dodgy situations and do not take safety for granted.

Patrick

Glad you survived!!

Reactions: needfx

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

View attachment 767877

Fun facts:

Patrick
The things we do for our craft! Sorry to hear your pink unicorn t-shirt got ripped!

Glad the camera survived!

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Glad you survived!!

The things we do for our craft! Sorry to hear your pink unicorn t-shirt got ripped!

Glad the camera survived!

cheers guys! much emotions

knee is actually strained. I realized that when I fell, my knee took all my weight while the joint took a different direction of the intended bio-design. Rest of extremities are ok, I will however be at 50% agility today, so I will just plant myself over two cameras. The other two by video support I was bringing anyway.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

knee is actually strained. I realized that when I fell, my knee took all my weight while the joint took a different direction of the intended bio-design. Rest of extremities are ok, I will however be at 50% agility today, so I will just plant myself over two cameras. The other two by video support I was bringing anyway.
Sone light reading for you!
http://thephotosociety.org/reality-check/

Hope the knee heals up. My joints are terrible if I land in them from even a moderate height these days.

inkmich

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2016
Maryland
A little bit of history.

The son of a local railroad tycoon went off to Russia in the 1830's to help build the first railroad there. He was successful and he came back to Baltimore with even more money and a Russian/Ukrainian wife. The bought and combined a number of adjoining farms and built a grand house which still stands today (Orianda House). The property was called the Crimea Estate, most of which today is part of a large park in the city. Also built on the estate was an interesting looking chapel which I learned was built for the wife.

Crimea Estate Chapel by Lance Randall, on Flickr

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK

I've been lucky and only slipped on some wet rocks down by the river once. I landed on one elbow as I held the camera up in the air to protect it.
Your accident was much more serious and I hope you recover your body (and your pride) quickly.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.