Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghostguts

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Not exactly today, but from last night...

Alex Winston (http://www.myspace.com/alexwinston) played with the Electric Six.

2368589270_8216efafae_b.jpg

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Semper Fi...

Took this with my iPhone and did a little work in PScs and it all started with a freeze frame on my Sony Bravia 40" LCD during a USMC Recruiting Commercial during the Stanfuurd v. Texas Basketball Game Today.

Attachments

• USMC SF Silent Drill Team.jpg
    USMC SF Silent Drill Team.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 133

fett

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
The company I work for is trying to become more environment friendly. I made this photo for the committee (green team, that's what they call themselves) to use if they want on their intranet. I'll see if they like it on Monday.

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
The company I work for is trying to become more environment friendly. I made this photo for the committee (green team, that's what they call themselves) to use if they want on their intranet. I'll see if they like it on Monday.

Thats awesome!

Chillijam

macrumors member
I am very much still learning about this, but here's another shot from this morning. C&C more than welcome...

The Way Out

NostellPrioryExit.jpg

Taken in the grounds of Nostell Priory on a dull, grey morning. Maybe this would have sung more if it were bright sunshine like earlier on this morning. I saw it through my bedroom window and decided to go play with my new 350D, but by the time I got up and out of the house the clouds had started drawing in.

**EDIT** increased contrast and lost some of the sky detail... Maybe I have to eat my words and think about HDR ;)
**EDIT AGAIN** I decided to play with the contrast as a layer, and use the eraser tool to remove the effec on the sky. Result here

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I am very much still learning about this, but here's another shot from this morning. C&C more than welcome...
NostellPrioryExit.jpg

Taken in the grounds of Nostell Priory on a dull, grey morning. Maybe this would have sung more if it were bright sunshine like earlier on this morning. I saw it through my bedroom window and decided to go play with my new 350D, but by the time I got up and out of the house the clouds had started drawing in.

**EDIT** increased contrast and lost some of the sky detail... Maybe I have to eat my words and think about HDR ;)

No "maybe" about it... ;)

It's the quality of light that makes colours sing. On a dull day like this, with the sky a uniform grey, the light is low (not itself a problem...) but also bland and non-directional. 'Good' lighting offers contrast, saturated colour, and helps to separate foreground from background.

No need to "think about HDR"; just become more aware of different lighting conditions, and how well your camera is able to capture them.

I'd say that capturing plays of light is 90% of the satisfaction I get from landscape photography... because it's all about 'being there'... rather than post-production. :)

ghostguts

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008

Cool idea and nice photo.

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
How did you get the black backround? I like that alot more than the backround at alot of pools.

Thanks to *Doylem* as well (sorry, i still don't know how to work Mulitquote:eek:).

I actually didn't do anything fancy at all. It was just really sunny that day and I used spot metering. It probably helped that there were some trees in the backyard and the sun was coming from a direction which the fence was able to block and create the dark shadow. I really didn't plan it at all. We just had a pool party (elementary school grad:)) and my friends got a tad bored so I was like "hey want me to get my camera and I can take pics of us doing flips and stuff off the diving board?"

Edit: I would have posted EXIF data except this was taken with a Canon S3 IS (point and shoot) so it probably won't mean much because with on a P&S f 2.8 you get the DOF of about F 8 with a SLR (just rough approximation by eye).

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
8e8a2323073847869a75c3e7faa8e4f7

My first play around with Photoshop Express. I deliberately picked a picture that looked bad to begin with, to see what I could do. Seems pretty good for free, but it's missing the ability to resize photos!

appie57

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
Netherlands
"Spring"

It looked finally sort of spring this morning, so went to the beach. Surprised to find these lads active. See this as a tribute to Surfer Rob, but in North Sea coordinates and climate: T=11 C, wind about 10 m/s. About the water temp I don't want to think....

beach.jpg

D50//f5.6//1/1250 with the 200mm (300) tele

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
8e8a2323073847869a75c3e7faa8e4f7

My first play around with Photoshop Express. I deliberately picked a picture that looked bad to begin with, to see what I could do. Seems pretty good for free, but it's missing the ability to resize photos!

I don't really understand the urge to put "bad" pictures through Photoshop. A good pic can be 'tidied up' and made slightly better... but the only post-production for my bad pictures (and there's plenty of them...) is pressing the 'delete' button. ;)

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Mon and Her Sister

MonAndSiscopy.jpg

Mon and Her Sister
December, 2007.
Cambodia
Nikon D40x + NIKKOR 50mm 1.4​

Mon, the littler one, and her sister, whose name I can't recall, work the tourists at one of the Angkor temples near Siem Reap. I spent some time in the shade chatting with them--sweet, intense kids.

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
I don't really understand the urge to put "bad" pictures through Photoshop. A good pic can be 'tidied up' and made slightly better... but the only post-production for my bad pictures (and there's plenty of them...) is pressing the 'delete' button. ;)

By 'bad' I meant that the original is dark, grainy and miserable. Normally it'd never be used, but I wanted to compare how PS Express stacks up against PS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.