Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Steps over Trent & Mersey Canal..........

Eventually got my Sigma 10-20mm, had a play and have just got round to processing some of the images

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    413.2 KB · Views: 129

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
from the dustbin of my life...

I stumbled across this old scan while inventorying files from an old hd. It's obviously from a color print (4x6) which I had tacked to my darkroom bulletin board in college. My wife and I were hiking the country around Moab, Utah when she took this shot of me. This was not in Arches Nat'l Park, although it looks like it could be. It was just along a trail we were following. Anyway, I'm posting this just for historical reasons, before this image returns to it's dark storage place...;)

phil%2C%20utah%20arch%2Ccolor_1.jpg

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I usually go for the authentic 'as seen' look with my stuff...
Only mess with the photoshop filters to distort reality when I find
a great picture I messed up with poor camera skills ha ha.:eek:

So Rip-pics third annual Spring Classic is coming up this weekend
and I'm shooting it for the organizer... looking through some from
last year and remembered loving this one except for the fact that
I totally mis-focused it and over estimated the depth of focus. Might
have even shook the camera a bit on release.:rolleyes:

Here's looking at it anyways, gotta love that pose!:p

Rip-pics2ndAnnual.jpg

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Another Bald Eagle from last weekend. This time it is the male apparently giving his mate an ear full for taking so long to make the nest exchange.

p940348138-4.jpg

C&C always welcome.

Wow. Super shot. The moment you captured, the lighting, and the exposure are so good that I can almost excuse the dead-center framing. :)

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Wow. Super shot. The moment you captured, the lighting, and the exposure are so good that I can almost excuse the dead-center framing. :)
I beg to differ with that last remark! :p Since the eagle's head is white, that's what my eyes were drawn to--the head. The head strikes me more of a subject than the body as a whole, and what to do you know? It fits well in the upper third. To each his own! ;) We can agree on the excellent technical aspects, though. Great work, spitfirejd!

spitfirejd

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
Magnolia, Delaware, USA
Thank you both for the comments. Someone brought up the centered framing on another website as well. Frankly, I was so focused on recovering the exposure and color from an underexposed shot that I didn't even notice it was that centered. I have to agree with Phrasikleia about that and have re-cropped the original file. I have to redo some of the PP on it later though.

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
Sleeping kitty~

Done with my Canon Rebel XSi

(click for full size)

Attachments

• IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    926.3 KB · Views: 92

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

A pic's composition is right when it looks right. There are no hard-and-fast rules (though when it does look right, 9 times out of 10 it will conform to the so-called 'rule of thirds').

We learn the rules so that we'll be able to 'break' them by design... not just accident. There has to be a point. With people or animals, we naturally follow where they are looking, or moving towards, so we leave a little 'psychological space' in front of them.

The branches in this shot create a frame for the eagle. Personally, I like the bird being in the centre... maybe 'cos I'm accustomed to seeing the bald eagle as a symbol of the good 'ol US of A... and in its symbolic roles it's always dead centre. So it's both a handsome bird and a powerful symbol (actually, it's so powerful that it's hard to see the bird without all that symbolism and mythology... a visual metaphor for America's perceived role in the world).

All this rambling is just to say that the pic looks very fine to me... and that composition is a personal thing.

I honestly don't think about composition when I'm shooting pix. But then, when I'm 'in the zone', I'm not thinking about much at all. I'm on 'auto-pilot', just reacting to what's going on around me. In these terms, composition is a 'feeling', not a set of rules...

Just my two-pennorth... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.