Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
imgp2220.jpg

Wireless Flash.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Some nice pics here, although I generally can't stand the overstaturated look of HDR images.

And just to show that cloudy days have their days...

2mcwxsx.jpg

I'm just a looky-loo, not a photographer, but I had to say: This is a wonderfully tranquil picture, beautiful. Do you have a higher res version uploaded somewhere? Would love to use it as a desktop pic.

johnnytraveler

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
Poughkeepsie NY
Some nice shots on here lately, as usual... maddmacs, alaskamoose, of course doylem and johnnytraveler, and a few others I haven't mentioned...

Here's my version of the bird/seagull shot. I don't really take too many shots like this because they're (seagulls) so available down at the beach at the roadside beach parks. If you act like you're interested, they'll mob you, and you may just get more of a welcoming than you like... all over your head..:D

Exactly!! It was a rare WARM early-March day here in NY, and my goal was to get the hang of my 100-400 lens, and seagulls are the perfect unknowing volunteers for this task!! i was careful not to stand directly under them.:rolleyes:

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
Tell us how you did it!

Looks like HDR technique for sure. Check out this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

This is a n amazing image, the atmosphere is brilliant, & the colours & mood... I love it... has this been PhotoShopped? If you don't mind me asking?

HDR Definitely and possibly Photoshopped a lil here and there to bring out the photo atmosphere :cool:

OK - this is how I did it...

The original shot, straight out of the camera, looked like this

ali001_outofcamera.jpg

(It's a Welsh castle, where my cousin got married)​

I opened it up in Camera Raw (part of Photoshop CS3) and most of the look came from wild and extravagant use of the faders...almost like turning everything up to 10...

Recovery, Fill Light, Blacks, Contrast and Clarity all boosted to 100 and even more contrast added with the Tone Curve - then I needed to cut the Exposure, dropping it to -1.25

Vibrance pushed to 100, but Saturation cut to -70

And this was the result
ali001_contrast.jpg

These settings will make a lot of photos look terrible, but I liked the effect I was getting here.

To finish it off I opened it in Photoshop. I cloned out the blown out bit of sky in the top left hand corner, then used 3 filters: Fresco, Watercolour and Diffuse Glow. Fresco and Watercolour were to add a bit of texture and Diffuse Glow was to bring out the light in the sky.

I only wanted the merest hint of each one, so I used fairly subtle settings and applied them to duplicate layers, setting the Blend Mode to Darken, with 10% Opacity for Fresco and Watercolour and 20% Opacity for Diffuse Glow...

ali001_filtered.jpg

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Practicing with my new lens - one day someone will invent a light-weight long zoom!!

That one is good. :)

You could look into the Olympus E-420 with ED 70-300mm f/4-5.6, certainly the lightest and smallest combination available to shoot at 600mm equivalent. I have the lens, it is sharp as a tack but not good for low light...

I took this shot with the 70-300 from 50 yards.

_B082965.jpg

click to enlarge

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Took this photo with my 8mm Peleng Fisheye lens. The sky and color was modified in Photoshop.

It's an awesome and inexpensive lens. I think everyone should try a fisheye out! Look it up... it's a killer lens.

Attachments

• American_Life_by_Just_Spaztik.jpg
    American_Life_by_Just_Spaztik.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 119

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Here's one from this weekend of a female Bald Eagle returning to her nest so the male, who was taking his turn sitting on the eggs, could take a break.
Wow, that was just breathtaking.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
More from film

This is on the north side (Washington state) of the Columbia River in the Columbia River Gorge area a little east of Bingen, which is across from Hood River, OR if you want to GoogleEarth it - Latitude: 45°43'7.29"N, Longitude: 121°22'1.53"W (click on thumbnail for google earth view, look for yellow marker.)
We hiked up into the oak and pine woods and meadows, which are distinctly different from the Douglas fir forests further west. It's good rattlesnake and red-tail hawk country... ;) 35mm, scanned from negative.

Image10.jpg

Attachments

• hikingthegorge2.jpg
    hikingthegorge2.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 88

ramases

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008

C&C very welcome!

Nice composition, and like the "framing". The sun is a little bright and keeps drawing the eye towards the bottom left of the picture. Have you tried dodging the area to slightly darken it?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Thanks. And you're a brave man for taking that photo... I'm sure your subject wouldn't have been happy if he noticed :eek:

Brave woman, actually. :cool:

I was inside a car at the checkpoint (one of many they have placed randomly along the roads in Jordan), so I figured I could get away with a quick photo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.