Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
3284034042_86c508e0a4_b.jpg

Not sure I agree with the other comments for this image. I like the asymmetry with the light behind the tree and the clouds cooperated by swooping in the right direction. Good on you for arranging the elements.

I agree with you... it is so hard to capture the scale and majesty of such a location.

smilinmonki666

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
Ok, firstly, a lot of awesome photos.

I have only recently got into hobby photography after using a Canon DSLR. Very impressed of what you can capture. This photo was taken in Pizza Express on my birthday this week. It was take with a my Nikon P6000 with the following settings:
Exposure was Aperture priority at f3.6
Focal Length - 6mm
ISO Speed - 100

DSCN0278.jpg

Up until recently, I thought you had to plan the best shots, but found that you don't. You can just shoot when you want & then look at the shots when you get home. I still need to learn & play though...

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Up until recently, I thought you had to plan the best shots, but found that you don't. You can just shoot when you want & then look at the shots when you get home. I still need to learn & play though...

There's room, IMO, for planned shots and spontaneous shots. My 'method' is somewhere in between. That is, I go to particular places, in the hope that the light will become 'interesting'. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. If it does, I'm there, ready, with camera on tripod. And if it doesn't, well, at least I've had some fresh air and exercise. :)

armboth.jpg

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
This is a n amazing image, the atmosphere is brilliant, & the colours & mood... I love it... has this been PhotoShopped? If you don't mind me asking?
HDR Definitely and possibly Photoshopped a lil here and there to bring out the photo atmosphere :cool:

Osprey

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
There's room, IMO, for planned shots and spontaneous shots. My 'method' is somewhere in between. That is, I go to particular places, in the hope that the light will become 'interesting'. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. If it does, I'm there, ready, with camera on tripod. And if it doesn't, well, at least I've had some fresh air and exercise. :)

armboth.jpg

If I may ask Doylem, do you use a filter or filters on your photos? You have truly magnificent photos! I shot with film for many years and often used a polarizing filter when shooting outdoors. I am really just starting to seriously use digital and my colors when shooting outdoors in the early morning, early evening don't seem to be as vibrant or true as I got with film. I am not using a filter and was wondering if I should be? Hope this makes sense and thanks for any help or advice.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
If I may ask Doylem, do you use a filter or filters on your photos? You have truly magnificent photos! I shot with film for many years and often used a polarizing filter when shooting outdoors. I am really just starting to seriously use digital and my colors when shooting outdoors in the early morning, early evening don't seem to be as vibrant or true as I got with film. I am not using a filter and was wondering if I should be? Hope this makes sense and thanks for any help or advice.

Thank you...

There's only one filter I ever use: a grey grad... to avoid blown-out skies. But I try to shoot when the light is coming out of a small aperture in the sky (ie no big, bland, blue skies...). This creates a 'spotlit' effect, which, with luck (and patience...) can be used to, say, isolate a lit subject against a darker backdrop.

Heavier cloud cover also means that the exposure values of sky and foreground will be less extreme. If the sky is only a stop or two lighter than the foreground, no filter is needed at all. Directional 'Spotlighting' naturally increases colour saturation. It also means I can shoot throughout the day, not only at dawn and dusk.

I really enjoy getting what I want 'in camera', because I'd rather be walking the hills that huddled over a laptop with Photoshop. For me, it's all about the light. ;)

Osprey

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
Thank you...

There's only one filter I ever use: a grey grad... to avoid blown-out skies. But I try to shoot when the light is coming out of a small aperture in the sky (ie no big, bland, blue skies...). This creates a 'spotlit' effect, which, with luck (and patience...) can be used to, say, isolate a lit subject against a darker backdrop.

Heavier cloud cover also means that the exposure values of sky and foreground will be less extreme. If the sky is only a stop or two lighter than the foreground, no filter is needed at all. Directional 'Spotlighting' naturally increases colour saturation. It also means I can shoot throughout the day, not only at dawn and dusk.

I really enjoy getting what I want 'in camera', because I'd rather be walking the hills that huddled over a laptop with Photoshop. For me, it's all about the light. ;)

Thanks for the help and I agree with you about shooting the photos versus photoshopping the images. and boy it is a lot easier on the eyes than sitting in front of a computer editing all day.:)

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
Trying to get a good shot of the gibbous moon tonight.

I would love to get one of those tack sharp shots, but I am not sure of my present kit will get me there. But I;m relatively happy with this shot as its better than what I've been able to get in the past.

shot manual exposure
F/16, 1/50, ISO 100, 55-200 mm f4.0-6.5 Nikkor on a D80 body and tripod
using a delayed release with a remote.

C & C Welcome

And I agree with Doylem, that there is room for both. I am trying to work towards more planned shots, myself, but I am always happy to see a spontaneous shot that many tomes turns out better than my planed shots.

Attachments

• 20090307_Gibbous-Moon_0053-2.jpg
    20090307_Gibbous-Moon_0053-2.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 100

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
Tell us how you did it!

Looks like HDR technique for sure. Check out this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

This is a n amazing image, the atmosphere is brilliant, & the colours & mood... I love it... has this been PhotoShopped? If you don't mind me asking?

HDR Definitely and possibly Photoshopped a lil here and there to bring out the photo atmosphere :cool:

Thanks...no HDR though...just a little Photoshop. I'm at work right now, but I'll share the details when I get back home.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
This first one I took while stopped at a light. Nothing special, but it's different.
Well its special cause its different ;), nway why is there like a finger touching the mirror in that shot? The person notice you or something?

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Well its special cause its different ;), nway why is there like a finger touching the mirror in that shot? The person notice you or something?

The hand on the right is just the guy in the driving seat scratching the side of his head. He's facing away.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
more neighborhood...

crownpoint-2.jpg

Also from last summer (late august), also your neighborhood. :D

Ahh, yes. Crown Point over the Columbia River... it's a pretty iconic spot. Nice.

My post for today was also taken last summer while hiking the trail to Drift Creek Falls, a couple of miles from my house. There's a nice stretch of old growth forest leading to the falls and a suspension bridge (for foot traffic only.)

Sometimes you just want to look up...

DSC_6364.JPG

Camera: Nikon
Model: D50
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/400 sec
Aperture: 4.5
Focal Length: 18mm

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
The hand on the right is just the guy in the driving seat scratching the side of his head. He's facing away.
aaaah, too bad though...if he didn't do that, ur photo will look better in my op

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.