Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
This was a simple group shot, but my lens was fogged up, especially on the left side of the image. The camera had been in a very cold car, and it was warming up rapidly outside, thus the fogging... now if I could only get the lens to fog up on demand...;) I'm not sure I mind the blown highlights, since it adds a glow to the image which works much better in b/w than in color.

Love it. I wish I could get a photoshop action to give that kind of look consistently.

Out of ideas
Nikon D80 + 55-200 VR
Exposure: Aperture Priority
Shutter Speed: 2s
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 200mm
Flash: Off
ISO: 100

taintedwheat

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
3351277586_dd289dbaa2_b.jpg

C/C welcome ;]

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Now that I have a macro lens, no flower is safe! I'm having a lot of fun with it.
Congrats and your macro lens and that is a real nice shot of a lily, what lens are you using? I dun recall a macro lens with a length of 60mm :confused:

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Congrats and your macro lens and that is a real nice shot of a lily, what lens are you using? I dun recall a macro lens with a length of 60mm :confused:
It's the EF-S macro. On that subject though, Phrasikleia, why'd you choose the 60mm f/2.8 over the EF 100mm f/2.8? It's just curiosity, and if I ever pick a macro lens up down the road it'd be nice to hear some opinions, especially from skilled photographers like you. :)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->

Thanks! Yeah, it's a Canon prime with a 60mm focal length. Very sharp EF-S lens. (60mm f/2.8 Macro USM). It gets great reviews both for its macro capabilities and for portraiture. I expect it will replace my "Nifty Fifty" for a lot of things, but "Nifty" is still my fastest lens. Here's a good summary, if you're in the market:

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/138/cat/10

It's the EF-S macro. On that subject though, Phrasikleia, why'd you choose the 60mm f/2.8 over the EF 100mm f/2.8? It's just curiosity, and if I ever pick a macro lens up down the road it'd be nice to hear some opinions, especially from skilled photographers like you. :)

Well, I already have the 100mm f/2, and I had been wanting to upgrade from my Nifty Fifty for some time. So the 60mm made sense for me.

smilinmonki666

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
Downloaded Ps CS4 demo recently & have been playing around with it. Here's a photo I edited for the first time using the set technique.

Attachments

• Yellow flower2.jpg
    Yellow flower2.jpg
    842.2 KB · Views: 101

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Revisiting and re-processing some of my favourite shots from last year.

20080614-aper6605.jpg

Canon 1D Mk IIN and 100-400 IS

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Renaissance artists particularly worked through the math when they discovered linear perspective, but much of what is written about their adherence to the Golden Section is over-analyzing on the part of modern critics. It's been shown that the Golden Section is divisible to such an extent that it can be mapped onto nearly anything. There's a fascinating collection of drawings in this vein in a book called "The Power of Limits," but it's mostly fanciful.

I don't think I've read anything about emotional composition, but I've read plenty about emotional response in the process of picture taking. The advice usually goes something like this: when something inspires you to take a photograph, acknowledge which emotion is registering, and then consider the "rules" to figure out how you might communicate that emotion as strongly as possible. I like the general outline of having an initial, subconscious response and then using a rational process to maximize the impact of the photograph. However, I find it difficult to reconcile "emotions" with composition", so I prefer to think of "energy" and "power" instead. How much energy or power does an image (or potential image) have? If it seems lacking, could a compositional rule help? That sort of thing. I most certainly do not advocate that rules should be primary in the process or that all good photos follow them.

Of course as an art historian, I've spent much more time analyzing images than making them, so the rational process looms large in my head, even if it does follow a subconscious response. :eek:

So, OK, Doylem, if you say you don't benefit in the field from a rational thought every now and then, I suppose I'll have to believe you. I'm just very suspicious about the idea that anyone who has read up on the subject of compositional rules can ever claim to be innocent of them. :cool:

Well, Phrasikleia, it sounds like you know what you're talking about, so I won't argue... :)

There are 101 ways to take pix, and I would not dream of imposing 'my' way on anyone. But it is so very liberating to 'let go' of all my thoughts when I'm out in the landscape. If I'm thinking about f/stops, or apertures, or programmes, or composition, or whether I left the gas on back home... then I'm really not giving enough attention to what's happening around me.

I learned about composition years ago, and a bit of colour theory, and the history of art (not to the depth you may go... but enough to bluff my way through a conversation ;)). So when I go out in the landscape, I'm confident that my subconscious mind will handle the nuts and bolts of picture-taking... leaving me to look and listen.

You've heard of "From Hull, Hell and Halifax, good Lord deliver us!...

Well, this is Halifax at dawn today...

halifax.jpg

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Just a quick reminder for everyone: this is the photo of the day thread. Try to limit yourself to one shot per post per day.

Also, please remember to your quotes.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Well, Phrasikleia, it sounds like you know what you're talking about, so I won't argue... :)

There are 101 ways to take pix, and I would not dream of imposing 'my' way on anyone. But it is so very liberating to 'let go' of all my thoughts when I'm out in the landscape. If I'm thinking about f/stops, or apertures, or programmes, or composition, or whether I left the gas on back home... then I'm really not giving enough attention to what's happening around me.

I learned about composition years ago, and a bit of colour theory, and the history of art (not to the depth you may go... but enough to bluff my way through a conversation ;)). So when I go out in the landscape, I'm confident that my subconscious mind will handle the nuts and bolts of picture-taking... leaving me to look and listen.

Whatever it is you do, I hope you keep on doing it for a long time. We're lucky to have a real master of light here to keep us all inspired. :)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Finally got a chance to take my new Olympus E-420 out shooting. Took it to our church conference this evening. Pic of the worship band practicing before...

Sold a like-dSLR I had.

What an GREAT compact dSLR - it'll be hard to go back to P&S. Used the kit lens I have from my E-500.

Shot at ISO 1600 and resized for web jpg from RAW.

Who said "stay away" from Olympus? :rolleyes:

e9f340ed48bb4277a3e6d9365fd2d12e

Coming soon, pics from an awesome Canon 20D I purchased used today... :D

Man, I'm Mr. Digital Photographer today... :)

Stryyf

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2009
I took a few snap shots of the Multnomah falls, by Portland On a trip out to White Salmon.

I am pretty new to making attempts at decent pictures.
I have added a Green Filter to these Pics in PP
These are taken with a D60 and the 18-55 Kit lens.
Any CC would be great.

I had some water spots on my Lens for this one.
DSC_0372.JPG

DSC_0354.JPG

DSC_0392.JPG

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
Macro kitty

He wasn't too eager to pose until I promised him a treat :)

MacroMaxi-3.jpg

Attempt at macro with a superzoom, 300mm, f6.7, 1/10s, ISO200

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
Had an NYC trip this weekend. I usually try to get at least one shot from my hotel room, but this time I had a crummy second story view of the Lincoln Center undergoing renovations. Trying to make chicken salad out of chicken **** I came up with the following:

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=162528&stc=1&d=1237155167

2 second exposure at f/16.

**Haven't tried to post images here before. Hope this goes through. Specific instructions on the best way to have images appear in a thread are welcome.**

Attachments

• _DSC0885 (2).jpg
    _DSC0885 (2).jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 97

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Revisiting and re-processing some of my favourite shots from last year.

20080614-aper6605.jpg

Canon 1D Mk IIN and 100-400 IS

Great shot, however I feel it is cut off in the wrong areas. I would have shot it with the chin of the lion, and less back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.