Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
BacklitBeauty.jpg

60mm
f/4
1/664s
ISO 200
CPL filter

True Tao

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
Downloaded Ps CS4 demo recently & have been playing around with it. Here's a photo I edited for the first time using the set technique.

Could you or anyone else describe how this was done with PS? I ask because I 've done a few photos like this by adding a black and white layer over the original then adding another color layer of the original, adjust the opacity, then erase out the color I don't want. All that erasing gets tiresome and you have to be pretty precise in some areas is there a easier way to do this? Thanks

NintendoChick

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
Could you or anyone else describe how this was done with PS? I ask because I 've done a few photos like this by adding a black and white layer over the original then adding another color layer of the original, adjust the opacity, then erase out the color I don't want. All that erasing gets tiresome and you have to be pretty precise in some areas is there a easier way to do this? Thanks

I like to use layer masks for this technique. You convert a copy of your image to black and white, then add a layer mask to that layer. Then you "color" the layer mask black on the part you want the color to show through.

Or: you can add a black and white layer over the original and just erase the black and white layer where you want color...

I put this in the "optimism" themed photo of the week contest here. C&C welcome!

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
CallaLily.jpg

Now that I have a macro lens, no flower is safe! I'm having a lot of fun with it. :)

60mm
f/2.8
1/125
ISO 200

Reminds me of the work of Georgia O'Keeffe...

I am envious! I want a good macro lens, but don't think I can get away with any more spending for a while. New LowPro back pack this month, and SB 600, 50mm 1.4 and a 55-200 mm 4-5.6 last... I might ... make it, Know there would be some major discussions at the dinner table if I went for more.:)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Reminds me of the work of Georgia O'Keeffe...

I am envious! I want a good macro lens, but don't think I can get away with any more spending for a while. New LowPro back pack this month, and SB 600, 50mm 1.4 and a 55-200 mm 4-5.6 last... I might ... make it, Know there would be some major discussions at the dinner table if I went for more.:)

Thanks. :)

Yeah, it's probably best not to let your hobby ruin your dinner!

Really like this one, only two colours and how the flower manages contrasts against the patch of green. Nice one Phrasikleia.

Thanks, TheReef. I took a gazillion shots of that little marigold (about 3cm across) trying to get the focus right and still have the flower framed by green, all while sitting on the sidewalk in front of some random house. The people inside must have thought I was crazy.

You already got a great lens, Phrasikleia is just 10mm more, I think it will compensate and not having a need to get another glass.

He said he will be getting the 50mm f/1.4, but that isn't a macro lens.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
He said he will be getting the 50mm f/1.4, but that isn't a macro lens.
But, okay beside the focusing distance difference, what is the other difference between a macro and non-macro? I have the 100 f/2.8 but I cant get enough to the subject due to min focusing distance, I wonder if my 100 f/2.8 would work better on a FF?

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Doylem said:
Well, Phrasikleia, it sounds like you know what you're talking about, so I won't argue...

There are 101 ways to take pix, and I would not dream of imposing 'my' way on anyone. But it is so very liberating to 'let go' of all my thoughts when I'm out in the landscape. If I'm thinking about f/stops, or apertures, or programmes, or composition, or whether I left the gas on back home... then I'm really not giving enough attention to what's happening around me.

I learned about composition years ago, and a bit of colour theory, and the history of art (not to the depth you may go... but enough to bluff my way through a conversation ). So when I go out in the landscape, I'm confident that my subconscious mind will handle the nuts and bolts of picture-taking... leaving me to look and listen.
Whatever it is you do, I hope you keep on doing it for a long time. We're lucky to have a real master of light here to keep us all inspired. :)

Wow, i've been away and unable to check in for a bit over a week now and I come back to find this. I've been wanting to pick the brains of you two when it comes to composition and light for soooo long, as soon as I have more time i'm going back to the begining of this conversation and study these posts.
I've had some questions for both Doylem and Phrasikleia in the back of my mind for a while and this discussion over the last few pages has inspired me to create a thread for it... as soon as I have the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.