Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
CYCLONE
IMG_3933.jpg

Love the stuff you are doing with this technique. Very cool.

I really like what you have been posting this month. Both the dock and this shot have great light, composition, and interesting subjects. Thanks for sharing them :)

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Went to watch BYU vs Utah on Saturday in a rugby match, first time to go to one of them, it was a lot of fun.

rugby-battle-scar.jpg

Canon EOS 5D Mark II :: 135 mm :: f 9 :: 1/1250 sec :: iso 640 :: '300' done in PS Raw

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
For technical comments. EV+2/3 in camera. Fill Light at 20, White Point set to 240 in PhotoShopCS3.

rainier2320255240.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/400s f/8.0 ISO100 Tamron 28-300 VC@42mm

Learning to expose to the right. I have one at a full stop over, but that seems radical to me.

Dale

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
For technical comments. EV+2/3 in camera. Fill Light at 20, White Point set to 240 in PhotoShopCS3.

rainier2320255240.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/400s f/8.0 ISO100 Tamron 28-300 VC@42mm

Learning to expose to the right. I have one at a full stop over, but that seems radical to me.

Dale

A full stop over isn't radical if it buys you some desirable detail in the shadows without losing any highlights. The trees here still look a bit murky, but that might have more to do with the lens than the exposure. Also, the color temperature is rather cool, so that's taking some life out of the trees. Lastly, there is some pronounced chromatic aberration here, especially visible in the lower corners.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
A full stop over isn't radical if it buys you some desirable detail in the shadows without losing any highlights. The trees here still look a bit murky, but that might have more to do with the lens than the exposure. Also, the color temperature is rather cool, so that's taking some life out of the trees. Lastly, there is some pronounced chromatic aberration here, especially visible in the lower corners.

Thanks. I have the article on white balance from your post on the topic that got me going on this and I will see how far off my camera is. There is so much in digital work that wasn't there in film work. This is like developing a positive in full daylight. When I learned this the variables were fewer. Or so it seems.

Dale

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->

I like the lighting and the repetition of forms in this one.

Thanks. I have the article on white balance from your post on the topic that got me going on this and I will see how far off my camera is. There is so much in digital work that wasn't there in film work. This is like developing a positive in full daylight. When I learned this the variables were fewer. Or so it seems.

Dale

There are indeed many variables. I actually keep a little checklist on a magnetic bulletin board over my desk so that I won't forget anything when I'm submitting stock images, but there really is no limit to what I might do to an image to get it to look the way I want it. White balance is something I adjust by eye. I start by using the auto-eyedropper (since I use UniWB and my images are therefore all green out of the camera), but I then adjust the temperature sliders to get the right feel.

rekud300

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2009
Ohio
New Orleans

I think you're not supposed to fill the frame, but each time I go through my photos of New Orleans, this one keeps catching my eye. Something about their eyes, especially hers.

Attachments

• DSC_0064.jpg
    DSC_0064.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 85

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
If this weren't a photography forum, I'd think that was a painting! Great shot!

You couldn't have asked for better lighting. Awesome!

I love this photo. The colours are beautiful, the sun highlights the edge of the dim wood and the stream winds its way into the picture. Makes me wish I was there!

I really like what you have been posting this month. Both the dock and this shot have great light, composition, and interesting subjects. Thanks for sharing them :)

Thanks for the really nice comments... I'm glad the sense of the place was captured, at least a little bit.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Winter's last gasp...

Up here on the Oregon coast, we'll be enduring a few days of chilly precipitation as a cold front moves across the northwest after several weeks of fairly balmy temps. Just before dark late this afternoon, the sky unleashed a sudden flurry of hail. I only had a few seconds to record it, as it stopped as suddenly as it began...

Camera: Nikon D300 w/ AF Nikkor 300mm f/4
Exposure: 1/160
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 300mm
ISO Speed: 1600
Exposure Bias: -2/3 EV

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
The most amazing sunset this evening...

p611465804-5.jpg

Very nice cityscape. The ambient and artificial lighting are well balanced. I especially like the light hitting the water at the right and wonder what a composition that includes more of it might look like. However, as you've framed it, I'd probably crop in at the top and on one of the two sides in order to get that horizon further away from the center. There's a lot of sky in the frame, somewhat bifurcating the image and making the city more distant than it needs to be. I realize that such a crop will sacrifice either the hills or the water, but I think it would make for a stronger composition. I'd probably preserve the right side to keep some space at the right of that foreground road (which makes a nice entry into the frame).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.