Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
4420645249_89bbea5a04.jpg

Stepped on the back deck a couple of days ago and was shocked to see this grouse, dead, in my backyard. So I took a photo. I figure he died of natural causes, like an owl perhaps? Often these birds will dive into deep soft snow to bury themselves for the night. Unfortunately the snow was neither deep nor soft.

O: Oh yes, the, uh, the Norwegian Blue...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?

C: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's dead, that's what's wrong with it!

O: No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.

That, sir, is an ex-grouse! ;)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I notice the green tone too. Makes the skin look clammy. Maybe it was done purposely.

OK, just checking. Yes, could very well be intentional. The "clammy" look is not incongruous with the mood depicted.

Beautiful shot! Could have used a ND gradient filter, or some HDR though ;)

Agreed. And less sky. The upper half doesn't add much to the very nice lower half.

MG_9780.jpg

My friend Kevin at a show in Uptown. Outside.

Super composition. Great use of UWA. Lots of attitude and ambiance here.

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
^^^^ Where is that?!

Hmm, I don't really know much about filters, but what are neutral density filters, do you have any suggestions on which one I should get?

The photo was taken in Tilden Regional Park in Berkeley, California. It was on Wildcat peak.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Hmm, I don't really know much about filters, but what are neutral density filters, do you have any suggestions on which one I should get?

The photo was taken in Tilden Regional Park in Berkeley, California. It was on Wildcat peak.

I'm not well versed on filters, but I never met a topic I wouldn't chat about. A neutral density (ND) filter will tone down sky that tends to get blown out.
There is a gradient ND filter that covers half the lens with filter only. The rest is clear. You can rotate it to filter sky but not foreground.

If I'm off on this, someone please correct me.

Dale

iLeoMarc

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
I'm pretty new to photography, but here is my photo of the day. Hope you guys like it, hope I can contribute to the group with more pictures and assistance (though I may be limited in what I know).

4420242204_4a29e0b0b0.jpg

Photo taken from Jersey City overlooking New York City, during sun rise.
D40 & Kit Lens (18-55mm)
ISO 200
Aperture f/8
Shutter Speed 5sec

AxelMonkey

macrumors regular
Up here on the Oregon coast, we'll be enduring a few days of chilly precipitation as a cold front moves across the northwest after several weeks of fairly balmy temps. Just before dark late this afternoon, the sky unleashed a sudden flurry of hail. I only had a few seconds to record it, as it stopped as suddenly as it began...

Camera: Nikon D300 w/ AF Nikkor 300mm f/4
Exposure: 1/160
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 300mm
ISO Speed: 1600
Exposure Bias: -2/3 EV

I like this.. I live in oregon too it give some nice scenery once i awhile I just dont have the proper camera to capture it.

I love this!!

Joe King

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Dublin, Ireland

Not sure about this one. I like the sense of space it creates but wonder if it would have worked better if the people had been in the centre rather than to the side.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005

Not sure about this one. I like the sense of space it creates but wonder if it would have worked better if the people had been in the centre rather than to the side.

Nah, I'd say they're in perfect placement. If anything, shifting just a little, keeping them in the same place but moving the horizon structures further to the right might have been even better.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com

Honestly, it seems as though the family are too close to the edge of the shot, there's a lot of room for the sky, with virtually nothing for the land. That's my view at least.

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

booth22

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2007
This is what I call a lucky capture- just two of our dogs making faces at each other. Nothing artsy here, just funny dog faces.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.