Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv

this is what I woke up to

BUT, how was it when you went to sleep is the question... :p

Any bike polo players around here? My room mate is INTO it and it looks like a blast (not so much in the winter...)

bike-polo-3.jpg

Thats crazy, never heard of bike polo, do they use fixed wheels?

This shot is awesome! I seriously studied it for like 10 minutes. My boss even asked what i was staring at so intently.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Polo

Thats crazy, never heard of bike polo, do they use fixed wheels?

You can ride any type of bike you want, but most players ride free wheel single speeds. My roomate rides a fixed gear though. He uses it to his advantage to play goal keeper, and he can balance with his mallet on the ground, and uses the fixed gear to move forwards and backwards in front of the goal.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
You can ride any type of bike you want, but most players ride free wheel single speeds. My roomate rides a fixed gear though. He uses it to his advantage to play goal keeper, and he can balance with his mallet on the ground, and uses the fixed gear to move forwards and backwards in front of the goal.

Very cool! I wish we had more interesting stuff like this where i live, unfortunately i live in the country's(USA) playground. No culture, just fake people.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Mt. Rainier wearing it's winter finest.

rainiersnow1.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/500s f/8.0 ISO100 Tamron 28-300@28mm

Dale

Very nice shadows on the mountain here. What a photographic paradise it must be in that area! A note about your exposure: this one and at least one other snow-capped mountain shot you posted are underexposed. The shadows are clipped, and there is very little information in the right half of the histogram. For such high-contrast shots, you might try exposing to the right, using the camera's histogram to guide you so you won't clip any highlights. That way you'll maximize your dynamic range and won't lose so much detail in the shadows. (I'm assuming you shoot in Raw format, of course.)

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Very nice shadows on the mountain here. What a photographic paradise it must be in that area! A note about your exposure: this one and at least one other snow-capped mountain shot you posted are underexposed. The shadows are clipped, and there is very little information in the right half of the histogram. For such high-contrast shots, you might try exposing to the right, using the camera's histogram to guide you so you won't clip any highlights. That way you'll maximize your dynamic range and won't lose so much detail in the shadows. (I'm assuming you shoot in Raw format, of course.)

Thanks. You are better than I am at digital exposure so Here are my questions. By "expose to the right" do you mean adjusting in-camera or with the ACR Exposure slider in PS? If the latter, is "to the right" the + side of the slider? I was more concerned in coaxing the cloud out of the sky in this one. I gave it +.5 and a lot of detail came out of the shadows. I have a book on exposure but I'm lazy when it comes to technical reading.

I will rework one of the other shots I have from this trip and post it tomorrow.

VirturalRain: This is from the parking lot of the Henry M. Jackson Visitor Center. The Center is at 5,400 ft. and the peak is 14,410. So you are about 1/3 of the way up.

There is an awesome map:cool:Here

Dale

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
4399753519_b1291bc6a0.jpg

I was out today with my friend shooting some photos that I had to do for an assignment that's due tomorrow, and I saw this cute squirrel really close to me right before I was heading back home. It was moving so fast, and I kept worrying about it getting scared and running away.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Thanks. You are better than I am at digital exposure so Here are my questions. By "expose to the right" do you mean adjusting in-camera or with the ACR Exposure slider in PS? If the latter, is "to the right" the + side of the slider? I was more concerned in coaxing the cloud out of the sky in this one. I gave it +.5 and a lot of detail came out of the shadows.

I'm talking about exposure at the moment of capture, using the camera's histogram (and ideally UniWB, which I use on most of my shots). Exposing to the right (ETTR, see this and this) is very easy to do. Just make sure that you can see your RGB channels separately in playback view on the camera and check after a test shot to see if you're clipping any highlights. If not, let in more light until you're right up against the right side with one of the color channels. Also make sure you have the highlight blinker warning turned on for playback. If anything is blinking, then you need to pull back, but if not, let in more light.

With this method you lose nothing on the highlight end of things and gain more range and detail in your shadows. So you could still have that cloud just as you want it, and you could have nice trees too. :)

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
VirturalRain: This is from the parking lot of the Henry M. Jackson Visitor Center. The Center is at 5,400 ft. and the peak is 14,410. So you are about 1/3 of the way up.

There is an awesome map:cool:Here

Dale

Thanks... I'm going to have to head up there. I had no idea you could drive up to 5400 ft! :D At any rate, the slope of the mountain from where you took the photo makes it look like a short day hike to the summit! :D

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
Happy Dog at Settlers Cove State Park, Ketchikan, Alaska

NIKON D80,
300mm lens
1/1000 second @ ?
Exposure Program = manual control
ISO 320
Nikkor * ED 300mm 1:4.5

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Dock 5, Newport, Oregon

4391329127_9bc18d6847_o.jpg

Camera: Nikon D300
Lens: Tokina 12-24mm f/4
Exposure: 1/320 sec.
Aperture: f/7.1
Focal Length: 12mm
ISO Speed: 500

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
4391329127_9bc18d6847_o.jpg

Camera: Nikon D300
Lens: Tokina 12-24mm f/4
Exposure: 1/320 sec.
Aperture: f/7.1
Focal Length: 12mm
ISO Speed: 500

pdx, you last few photos have had such a range in colors, they really are quite impressive. Are they HDR shots, or what kind of pp are you doing?

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y

Awesome shot, I love pictures of squirrels. I wish the entire squirrel was in frame, but with animals like that, you have to take what you get :)

simonshadesupclose.jpg

Taken at night with available light at like 1/15th or something, with IS. Room mate Simon.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
My best capture of the sea of people in the entertainment district (downtown vancouver) this past weekend...

p585452422-5.jpg

Hand-held over my head using live-view, f2.8, 1/60, ISO 800, 55mm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.