Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
At a beach in California

DSC_0247.jpg

I like this, i just wish the platform thats somewhat in the middle the focus, not the outer rails, as they seem to draw my eyes outwards...

alcuintillidie

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2010
York, for now
Blue mountains...

In NSW, went on a trip to the Blue Mountains. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the van to stop so I could get out (hence the blurry bit top-right, it's the window... ach!), but I thought it was stunning

AxelMonkey

macrumors regular
I like this, i just wish the platform thats somewhat in the middle the focus, not the outer rails, as they seem to draw my eyes outwards...

Yeah, me too. I wish I could have gotten a better view, but I didnt have an option due to the left being a straight drop, and to the left a steep hill. :( I have some other pics that are good I just dont wanna crowd the place.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I'm talking about exposure at the moment of capture<<<>>>

With this method you lose nothing on the highlight end of things and gain more range and detail in your shadows. So you could still have that cloud just as you want it, and you could have nice trees too. :)
^^^ Thanks for the links, I will print these out and do some practice shots. One of the great differences between film and digital is this ability to see the product in the camera and adjust settings accordingly. I took my first photo with a dslr on September 27, 2009. I'm a total N:eek::eek:B

Happy Dog at Settlers Cove State Park, Ketchikan, Alaska

<Edit of camera data>
^^^ Love the expression you captured in the dog's face. Happy Dog, indeed! The only thing I would do to improve this is to crop it a bit so that the subject isn't square in the middle. Nice photo.

Stunning scenery :) How do you find that lens?
^^^ I don't really have a lot of experience with dslr lenses, but I like what I see from Tamron. The VC system has allowed me to take clear shots down below 1/50 sec. I'm 62, so that's good. I have budgeted for a 100mm macro from Canon and a better short lens. I will probably go with the 17-55 Tamron just released. They are not L lenses, but they are ++ over the Canon kit lenses. IMO

The weather's still wintry (more snow today), but the light is getting more spring-like...

jiffy.jpg
^^^ Great shot. Quite a departure from your usual. I like the humor. My first take on the boat's name was IFFY. :)

My best capture of the sea of people in the entertainment district (downtown vancouver) this past weekend...

p585452422-5.jpg

Hand-held over my head using live-view, f2.8, 1/60, ISO 800, 55mm
^^^ Amazing. Looks like everyone is having a blast. Night shots are tricky, you handled this very well.

Hey peeps! Great images to start the month off.

Dale

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Just back from a fishing trip. Only had a sony video cam for my stills. Found this trappers cabin:

4397625631_9fd0149056_o.jpg

Focal length was so limiting, I stiched a couple of shot together to get this. A couple had just left and had to wait for out 15 sleds to pass. Temp +4 at the end of February. Unheard of.

what's amazing about this shot is how many of these cabins are way back in the bush, where you would think no one has ever been - or in the least, hasn't been in a long, long time.

Yet, there they are :)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
What remains of the old lighthouse at Hodbarrow haematite mine, near Millom, in Cumbria. I bet there won't be a day this year when there'll be less colour in the landscape...

hodbarrow.jpg

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
what's amazing about this shot is how many of these cabins are way back in the bush, where you would think no one has ever been - or in the least, hasn't been in a long, long time.

Yet, there they are :)

Please see the tutorials on quoting images and editing posts on page one.
AKA: your image quotes.

Dale

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
pdx, you last few photos have had such a range in colors, they really are quite impressive. Are they HDR shots, or what kind of pp are you doing?
Thank you very much for the kind words... :)

No, they aren't HDR. I think the main thing is the light (thanks John... errr, Doylem!! ;))I've been thinking more about the golden hour and how to exploit it, so most of the recent shots you're referring to were done in the last couple hours of daylight, some even after the sun was actually down but still having an impact.

I've had to experiment with exposure compensation, some shots are as much as -1.67 stops , some are as high as +1 stop. I usually try to think about what part of the image should show detail and how do I keep from losing the sky. I think my biggest concern has been keeping highlights in check. I've used a polarizing filter on one lens, and it can really affect the look of the shot at the right angles.

I've also begun to use LR 3 (beta) for post-processing. There are a lot of subtle adjustments available to RAW image processing, and I've experimented there to explore the range from "over-cooked" to "barely touched." It's helped me understand how to find a decent workflow with that program, and so far I'm liking it a lot. I get a lot of control being able to "recover" highlights and still keep shadows and mid-tones where I want them. I don't really have a decent monitor, so I go with my gut on a MBP.

On my camera I have the Active-D lighting set at "low" which I think helps recover detail, although I'm not sure it's that big a deal, but it doesn't hurt. And using good glass adds a certain "look" to a shot, from sharpness to bokeh to capturing color.

Those are the things I can think of; the light/exposure comes first, without it you've lost 80% of your shot's potential, followed by good glass, and shooting RAW. The RAW will open up the post-processing possibilities with the right software.

Anyway, that's what comes to mind. And, I'm still experimenting myself... :)

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Another shot of my mountain. ACR processing was to the right as suggested by a friend. The puffs at high elevations are caused by snow being blown off the peak. It's nasty up there, folks :eek:

rainiersnow2.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/250s f/8.0 ISO100 Tamron 28-300 VC@33mm

Dale

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Another shot of my mountain. ACR processing was to the right as suggested by a friend. The puffs at high elevations are caused by snow being blown off the peak. It's nasty up there, folks :eek:

rainiersnow2.jpg

Dale

I like this exposure better. You can see the details in the trees. Very nice shot.

Mumstalker

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2009
Any bike polo players around here? My room mate is INTO it and it looks like a blast (not so much in the winter...)

Well mate, here in Mexico, my school made a special Rally event to celebrate it's 30 b-day and we got.... Donkey Polo!. This shot was taken with a Canon A1 (im doing only film right now) and a 50mm 1.4 SSC lens. With 400 ISO film.

4403277100_65b5742643_b.jpg

Constructive (and a little deconstructive) criticism accepted

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->

rainiersnow2.jpg

Dale

Yes, this is a definite improvement. Now the trees are no longer black holes in the frame. If I may be so presumptuous to guess I'm the friend, then I would like to note that I recommended exposing to the right, not processing that way. When you expose to the right, you actually have to bring the curve leftward in your processing to get a proper distribution of tones. (However, if you accidentally underexpose, then pushing things rightwards in post is the way to go.) The key is to expose to the right and then to process that exposure back to the left. Doing so will result in better shadows and colors. :)

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Yes, this is a definite improvement. Now the trees are no longer black holes in the frame. <<>>
Yes, I do understand. This is about a 40 min drive from my place and I have a season pass for all National Parks in the US. I will shoot this in the camera whenever the powers to be give me another bit of light. I ripped off 350 shots over four days and 500 miles of travel on my last opportunity...:)

I have the "vision" needed to produce outstanding work, but I need all the help I can get on the tech side...:eek:

Dale

ChefJayPeek

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Suburban Texas
Killer Geese!

I got this right before he chased my friend up onto a picnic table. Geese can be MEAN, she had reason to run!

Attachments

• Geese.jpg
    Geese.jpg
    585.9 KB · Views: 170

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I got this right before he chased my friend up onto a picnic table. Geese can be MEAN, she had reason to run!

Really? It's a great shot. I am not sure what it is, your skill or my booze, but I love it. And the highlights aren't totally blown. well done!

A band of fog rolls over frozen Alta Lake in Whistler BC.

I am not sure why but I love this to death. Great shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.