Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
More moor.
hogevenen0002.jpg

Canon 30D, 1/200s f/9.0 ISO400 20mm

ChefJayPeek

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Suburban Texas
Really? It's a great shot. I am not sure what it is, your skill or my booze, but I love it. And the highlights aren't totally blown. well done!

Thanks Jessica, I just tried to take some good photos today. I shot a bunch, and experimented with many things. I had a really good time today taking pictures, and I really liked this shot of a couple of geese. My skills suck, but I am working on them! I like taking nature pictures now, never really tried before. Heh, such fun!

Chef Jay

grassland

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
Deer Lake,Nfld.

Humber bridge being replaced with a new one.

Attachments

• IMG_0278.JPG
    IMG_0278.JPG
    649.4 KB · Views: 123

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Well, here goes! Inspired by Dale's clear how-to instructions, my first posting in PoD! I love slightly misty landscapes. The weather is really grey here at the moment, so this is a picture taken in Tuscany before I got my DSLR. I have a lot to learn and any helpful comments would be welcome.

tuscany.jpg

Fujifilm Finepix 810
F 4.5
1/340
ISO 80

grooveattack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
leaf in a river. Taken on a hike in winchester, UK.

camera: sony a200

Attachments

• DSC00730 - Version 3.jpg
    DSC00730 - Version 3.jpg
    828.7 KB · Views: 127

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->

A band of fog rolls over frozen Alta Lake in Whistler BC.

I really like the atmosphere and textures in this one. It's quite captivating.

4397416050_7d7df49714_b.jpg

It was pouring rain on the Colorado trail that day.

Nice tones here. Really good use of B&W. If you added the grain to make it look like film, I'm not sure you needed to do that. I don't think this one really gains anything from the grain.

I just popped into a pub for a pint... and there she was...

biddy.jpg

Love at first click? :)

4392103228_02c1b59fd1_o.jpg

Camera: Nikon D300
Lens: Tokina 12-24 f/4
Exposure: 1/1600
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 24 mm
ISO Speed: 800

Gorgeous colors here and nice composition. I would be tempted to bring up the shadows slider in whatever raw processor you're using to eke out a little more detail on that end. Also, was 1/1600s really necessary? Unless you were shooting from a moving boat, I imagine you could have gotten some more DoF (w/ smaller aperture) and used lower ISO.

Well, here goes! Inspired by Dale's clear how-to instructions, my first posting in PoD! I love slightly misty landscapes. The weather is really grey here at the moment, so this is a picture taken in Tuscany before I got my DSLR. I have a lot to learn and any helpful comments would be welcome.

tuscany.jpg

Fujifilm Finepix 810
F 4.5
1/340
ISO 80

A happy consequence of Dale's instructions: more people joining the party!

As for C&C of your pic: This one leaves me wondering what it was you were trying to capture. Perhaps the experience of being there was quite wonderful, but nothing in the photo really translates that experience for me. Was your subject supposed to be the house? The field? The road? None of those things really "pop" in this photo, and they all have a rather equal amount of visual weight (which isn't much). When you shoot into the sun, try to do it when you can capitalize on long shadows that form leading lines or else on distinct streaks of light coming through some barrier (or both). That will add drama and interest to your photo. In this case, we have a really washed out scene with nothing really popping out to grab our attention.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

Well, there's mist... and there's haze. Mist is forever changing: hiding, disclosing, drifting, rising, falling, clearing. The top pic has a beautiful mood (and I guess that mood probably didn't last long). The bottom pic is hazy, rather than misty, and haze tends to stick around all day... doing nothing except reducing the clarity of the scene, without adding any mood. On hazy days I don't take any landscape pix all; it's too frustrating...

I luuuurve the colour in the sky, but think you were so overcome with it that you didn't really 'organise' the boats into a composition that was more convincing...

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
It's been a slow couple of weeks on the photo front for me. I bring you...the tower...again...

TowerTangle.jpg

I got off a couple of shots here, and then the clouds covered up the sun for the rest of the day. :(

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Thank you very much for the kind words... :)
...snip...
Anyway, that's what comes to mind. And, I'm still experimenting myself... :)

Thank you for taking the time to explain. The main reason i keep coming back to these forums, the wealth of knowledge is unreal. I cant wait until most of my pics are on par w/ the rest of the regulars.

again, your prowess amazes, and encourages me. thank you for sharing!

I agree with Dale, i think if you would have used a greater angle it would have been a better 'leading line,' if you will.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
It's been a slow couple of weeks on the photo front for me. I bring you...the tower...again...
TowerTangle.jpg
I got off a couple of shots here, and then the clouds covered up the sun for the rest of the day. :(

Nice DOF here, but I refuse to believe that the sky is that blue. Even in Cal.

Mine for today.

Early spring at the Nisqually Delta Wildlife Refuge.

nisquallybud1.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/100s f/5.6 ISO100 Tamron 28-300 VC@119mm Manual focus on a tripod. Movement by the breeze kept me at this f/stop.

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.