Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a
a funny shot i got out at the local park :) No PP at all on this, everything as shot! not bad for a cheap sigma 70-300 i thought! c&c welcome, clickable also. :)
4439112596_cf8337c468_b.jpg

Photo taken in the Chianti Valley in Italy

25681_1368520100538_1457772176_30991531_3413132_n.jpg
Really nice, but my eye was natrually attracted to the first bottle on the left. maybe that one next time? i dunno. Good shot Nonetheless :)

4435504056_7021aa4640_o.jpg

A shot taken while I was a rank amateur and knew nothing of POTD :rolleyes: Hey chef... check out this article: http://www.macworld.com/article/147141/2010/03/snapshot_foodphotography.html?lsrc=top_2
Beautiful.

San Francisco bay with the Bay bridge at dusk.

SFBayDusk.jpg

Camera: K20D
Lens: Tamron 17-50mm f2.8
Focal length: 42mm
Aperture: f/8
Exposure time: 4s
ISO: 200
Exposure compensation: +2.5
(I was bracketing but later saw that I don't really need to do HDR)
Really, really great shot! well done :)

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
Sailing on the San Francisco Bay

Another photo of the San Francisco bay, this time from a different perspective :)
Sailing towards the Bay bridge at 6 knots over the outgoing tidal current (which was another 2 knots meaning we were doing 8 knots over the water).

SailingOnTheBay-1.jpg

Camera: Pentax K20D
Filter: Hoya Super HMC Circular Polarizer
Focal length: 17mm
Aperture: f/11
Exposure time: 1/60s

ChefJayPeek

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Suburban Texas
Another photo of the San Francisco bay, this time from a different perspective :)
Sailing towards the Bay bridge at 6 knots over the outgoing tidal current (which was another 2 knots meaning we were doing 8 knots over the water).

SailingOnTheBay-1.jpg

Camera: Pentax K20D
Filter: Hoya Super HMC Circular Polarizer
Focal length: 17mm
Aperture: f/11
Exposure time: 1/60s

VERY Nice. I can get the sense of speed. When I was a kid my Dad took us sailing quite often. I have not done it since then, but that picture makes me want to do it again soon!

Thanks for sharing!

Chef Jay

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I have not given up on food photography, although I know that I will never be taking pictures that are in menus or in catalogs, I accept that and understand what professional food photography entails. I just want to get my food photos to look good enough for FB and my blog.

There are books on food styling and all you need other than that is good lighting and some flags and modifiers. I don't think you shouldn't have a bigger goal. I'd start with 3-4 lights- either portable flashes with triggers or studio strobes, one as your key, one as fill and one for background to give you some separation. There's no reason for not striving to show off your cooking in the best light possible!

For general photography, there are two easy things that will help get from "snapshot" mode- the first is to get closer and fill the frame with a subject- worry about wider shots later. The second is to always try a vertical composition first. That'll at least get you out of a snapshot rut. After that, research leading lines, negative space, NMF, the rule of thirds, and lighting.

Don't worry about people who tell you there are no "rules," once you can shoot to the rules, THEN it's time to break them selectively because you'll know most of the elements of a good photograph.

Paul

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Nice! I think these evening cityscapes are turning out to be my favorite types of photos to view and capture. :)

I'm curious though, why did you need to use HDR... The foreground foliage?

It would've been too dark, especially at the foreground. There was little light where I was shooting at and the city was covered in fog. I actually made another HDR that toned down the orangeness of the fog to make it more 'real'. Then after rethinking that, I thought it's actually quiet natural for the fog to reflect city lights. Glad you liked it!

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Doylemize: (v) 1: To apply the photographic philosophy of Doylem. eg. To use a camera mounted on a tripod in a carefully chosen location. To observe the quality of lighting and choose the correct moment for exposure, usually by means of a remote shutter release. 2: To plan a photographic excursion by use of a map to determine optimal lighting in pre-designated areas. 3: To sit on a stool for an extended period of time for the purpose of obtaining optimal light. 4: To apply a strategy in which lunch in a pub is central to a photographic outing.

Doylemized: The past tense of Doylemize or the product of applying any or all of the tactics included in the process described above.

Dale

I like it . . . especially the bit about lunch. :)

However, seeing Doylem's photos, he has something there. His photos are stunning.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Doylemize: (v) 1: To apply the photographic philosophy of Doylem. eg. To use a camera mounted on a tripod in a carefully chosen location. To observe the quality of lighting and choose the correct moment for exposure, usually by means of a remote shutter release. 2: To plan a photographic excursion by use of a map to determine optimal lighting in pre-designated areas. 3: To sit on a stool for an extended period of time for the purpose of obtaining optimal light. 4: To apply a strategy in which lunch in a pub is central to a photographic outing.

Doylemized: The past tense of Doylemize or the product of applying any or all of the tactics included in the process described above.

Sounds good to me... even though the word ‘doylem’ is just north-country slang for an idiot, an imbecile (“He’s a bit of a doylem”). ;)

The idea of waiting for the light, so that a composition ‘comes together’, is totally mainstream in the world of half-decent landscape photographers (I’m thinking of, say, Joe Cornish and David Noton). It’s as old as photography itself, but maybe we’ve speeded up to the point where we haven’t got the patience or the attention span any more. If we’re comparing cameras on the basis of how many frames they’ll shoot per second, then the prospect of waiting around might seem like a waste of time. On the other hand, those who do try to slow down will always find it worthwhile... in a variety of different ways.

I’m writing a book about all this stuff (and much else). Working title: Getting lost and going home. Each spread will have a pic and 300-500 words, which makes it convenient to post as a blog.

Getting lost and going home

It would be good to get some feedback... :)

Fujiko7

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
London UK
[...]I’m writing a book about all this stuff (and much else). Working title: Getting lost and going home. Each spread will have a pic and 300-500 words, which makes it convenient to post as a blog.

That's a nice blog. Some thoughtful writing and, of course, some beautiful photos. The "title" photo would make a great cover for the book.

I've bookmarked it.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Sounds good to me... even though the word ‘doylem’ is just north-country slang for an idiot, an imbecile (“He’s a bit of a doylem”). ;)

The idea of waiting for the light, so that a composition ‘comes together’, is totally mainstream in the world of half-decent landscape photographers (I’m thinking of, say, Joe Cornish and David Noton). It’s as old as photography itself, but maybe we’ve speeded up to the point where we haven’t got the patience or the attention span any more. If we’re comparing cameras on the basis of how many frames they’ll shoot per second, then the prospect of waiting around might seem like a waste of time. On the other hand, those who do try to slow down will always find it worthwhile... in a variety of different ways.

I’m writing a book about all this stuff (and much else). Working title: Getting lost and going home. Each spread will have a pic and 300-500 words, which makes it convenient to post as a blog.

One of my heros. He would find something to shoot and wait for days to get it just right. He had that "final image" visualized and the patience to let it come to him.

Dale

Attachments

• 27journeys600.jpg
    27journeys600.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 97

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Nature's steady work...

This log was cut two years ago after some trees blew down in a windstorm, and forces of nature are hard at work breaking it down into it's basic elements.

Camera: Nikon D300 w/ Nikkor 300mm f/4 AF
Exposure: 1/500
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 300 mm
ISO Speed: 1600
Exposure Bias: -1 EV

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
4446649654_278acc3143_b.jpg

Like most of the images I post here, shot on Canon HF10 with absolutely no control over damn near anything. I try to make the best of what I have. Every time I get close to getting an SLR the opportunity vanishes. Sucks being a poor college kid sometimes.

EDIT: Here's the original btw
img2785w.jpg

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
My first time...I know it sucks

I have been checking out this thread for a while now and decided to throw in one of mine. I am a complete noob when it comes to photography and this picture was taken with a 6 year old Kodak EasyShare CX4310. Knowing what I know now (which isn't much by any means) I would have gotten the focus on the sign and allowed the back and foreground to go out of focus.

I just picked up an old Canon EOS Rebel SLR (35mm) and a new Canon SX210 IS point-and-shoot, so i am hoping to learn a little about my new hobby.

Attachments

• Two_Roads.jpg
    Two_Roads.jpg
    943.8 KB · Views: 82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.