Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
PkennethV, incredible shot :).

Here's one for today (Just got back from a trip).

"Young eagle becomes bored with me and decides to take flight"

20080511-1sc7c6gxbkpfygmpfp4b6kpjdx.jpg

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I agree. I think the originial shot was what it was and the additional changes were obvious with added noise and saturation. Great original shot.
I was thinking about this, and have another opinion about the post. I think it's just plain wrong for anyone to make changes to another member's photo and then repost it without the author's permission. Claiming it's better is even worse. I always welcome criticisms, suggestions, comments on my photos but take offense if someone alters my work and reposts it. It's not right & there should probably be a rule here about it.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
I was thinking about this, and have another opinion about the post. I think it's just plain wrong for anyone to make changes to another member's photo and then repost it without the author's permission. Claiming it's better is even worse. I always welcome criticisms, suggestions, comments on my photos but take offense if someone alters my work and reposts it. It's not right & there should probably be a rule here about it.

But then again, when you post something on the *internet*, you're pretty much putting it out there for anyone to look at/steal.. That's why alot of people put watermarks on their stuff.. Obviously most people consider it mildly impolite to modify someone's stuff without asking, but I don't think it's as horrible an offense as you make it out to be..

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Nice picture, I really like the way the terraced houses in the background set it off :rolleyes:
I really hate it when they build houses or the like too close to something as historic and cool as that, the picture of the pyramids recently was a prime example.

Thanks, Steamie... yes, it's a shame that this wonderful old church is now surrounded by modern houses... rather than the mud & wattle hovels that would have surrounded it at the time it was built (8th century). But, to make things more complicated, most of the stonework for the church was 'borrowed' from Hadrian's Wall, just a few miles away (you can still see Latin enscriptions on some of the stones). So who is the architectural vandal? :confused::)

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
But then again, when you post something on the *internet*, you're pretty much putting it out there for anyone to look at/steal.. That's why alot of people put watermarks on their stuff.. Obviously most people consider it mildly impolite to modify someone's stuff without asking, but I don't think it's as horrible an offense as you make it out to be..
I realize if you post something any one can grab it and do whatever they want with it. But this is s a community and there should be some etiquette/ethics associated with this thread. If it's a free for all with no rules or respect for others work then I consider that a sad thing.

How would you feel if you took pride in your creative work and someone else altered and reposted it in a form you disliked, and claimed they improved it for you? I'd be pissed and would ask them to remove it. I do think it's a big deal. A lot of people put heart and soul in their art and don't want others changing it.

But if people here really think that's OK, then I'll drop the subject and post elsewhere.

In a photography forum I visit, this is one of the rules everyone must agree to for membership:
Please don't post edited versions of other member's images without prior permission or a request for help with processing from that member.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
I understand what you mean about how reposting other people's work without asking can be offensive to said artist/photographer. Most often, people will ask for permission before re-posting someone's stuff here.. I just wanted to say that usually it's in a very polite and respectful manner :).

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I understand what you mean about how reposting other people's work without asking can be offensive to said artist/photographer. Most often, people will ask for permission before re-posting someone's stuff here.. I just wanted to say that usually it's in a very polite and respectful manner :).
Fair enough. I have no problem with it when there's a request or agreement on it. I just didn't see any evidence of that on the post I responded to -- if I'm wrong about that post I apologize. :)

Now, back to the fun part. I've already posted today, but I have a few thousand race pictures in Lightroom to cull today. Looking for that gem...

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
Thanks, Steamie... yes, it's a shame that this wonderful old church is now surrounded by modern houses... rather than the mud & wattle hovels that would have surrounded it at the time it was built (8th century). But, to make things more complicated, most of the stonework for the church was 'borrowed' from Hadrian's Wall, just a few miles away (you can still see Latin enscriptions on some of the stones). So who is the architectural vandal? :confused::)

Aha now we know who to blame for the amount of interlopers up here :D

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007

I agree with this statement. There's just something I dont like about other people changing the way I see things and calling them "better", at most one should ask permission to do so. Yet, it's not a perfect world and it has happened to me as well. Theres another photo forum where you state whether it is acceptable for others to edit your photos and it is displayed under your name in bold red letters if "no" and bold green if "yes".

However, that forum pales in comparison to this one and I prefer the smaller, more unified, community here.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Famous Rogue Brewery Public House, Newport OR USA

DSC_5478.JPG

Model: NIKON D50
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/1250 sec
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 19mm

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
"Evening Sail"

Evening Sail

It stayed hazy all day, but I think in this one works.

Lovely shot. Great sense of space. Would it look better if you cropped the foreground off... to emphasise the solitary 'feel'? I'm not sure...

The odd perspective with the cat is 'cos it was sitting on a raised bank, so I could shoot standing up...

kayes

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
The island of Penang can be accessed by air, road (Penang Bridge) and also by sea (Penang Ferry). Pic taken near the ferry terminal shows an early morning ferry in the background. Best wishes to all, kayes.

macrum3.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.