Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Your concept of showing individuals reflecting on their own downfall has the potential to be poignant, but so far these photos don't quite make it for me. The main problem, as I see it, is that we don't get any clues to complete each narrative. A downfall becomes poignant when we recognize the "hamartia" or tragic flaw/error of the character--that is, what essentially caused the character's demise.

Also, in order for a viewer to connect with the characters, the characters need to be sympathetic or believable; otherwise, we're left asking "so what?". We need more information about the characters, their situations, and their personal reflections. For your project, I think you need actors more so than models. None of these models you have are very expressive or believable; they just look posed. (I'm not saying they need to be overtly emotional, but a good actor can give just the right hint of an internal conflict or mental process.)

The photos are technically very impressive, but the overall effect just falls flat for these reasons. Just my $0.02.

Thanks for your honesty. :)

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Your concept of showing individuals reflecting on their own downfall has the potential to be poignant, but so far these photos don't quite make it for me. The main problem, as I see it, is that we don't get any clues to complete each narrative. A downfall becomes poignant when we recognize the "hamartia" or tragic flaw/error of the character--that is, what essentially caused the character's demise.

Also, in order for a viewer to connect with the characters, the characters need to be sympathetic or believable; otherwise, we're left asking "so what?". We need more information about the characters, their situations, and their personal reflections. For your project, I think you need actors more so than models. None of these models you have are very expressive or believable; they just look posed. (I'm not saying they need to be overtly emotional, but a good actor can give just the right hint of an internal conflict or mental process.)

The photos are technically very impressive, but the overall effect just falls flat for these reasons. Just my $0.02.

I don't really think it's the models' fault here... You'd need INCREDIBLE actors to actually make a real difference. You say a good actor can give that hint of emotion or internal conflict, and that's true... But in a still photo where they only have one moment to tell their story, it's more about the mise-en-scene then their acting ability. After all, you can keep on shooting until you get the right facial expression - for acting purposes, stills are MUCH more forgiving then actual video.

I personally really like these photos though. I do agree that they would be better if they included more hints / explanation about the actual circumstances, rather then just presenting us with the final outcome..

"Kyle Of Tongue"

snip

Tambo Love the train shot Tambo... really cool.​

Wow, awesome shot :). Those colors are impressive! Mind if I ask what camera you are using?​

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I don't really think it's the models' fault here... After all, you can keep on shooting until you get the right facial expression

Yeah, a little direction (and many takes) can go a long way, but I firmly believe that a good actor can communicate a lot in a single frame. I've seen a lot of old 8x10 glossies that actors used to include in their portfolios (my dad was in the business decades ago; I have no idea if this is still common practice). These would often be character studies meant to be captured in a single shot, and I was always impressed by how skillfully and subtly the actors were able to suggest character traits in those photos. Some of the costumes were hardly convincing, but the faces could really make up for it.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Zoo, last weekend
merselo0067.jpg

canon 30D, 1/4000s f/2.8 ISO400 200mm

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
cool farm landscape
Having spent a lot of time around one of those tractors as a kid, your photo really makes me feel that longing for the simple life once again! Is this with a wide angle lens ?(I think so...)

As for me, this day was one of those days when a 600mm equivalent telephoto lens really comes in handy!

click for large file size
_1140192.png

Gator
Panasonic L1 + ZD 70-300mm​

Jan 30, 2006

Nikon D40x
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4

I like this photo more for the fact of me being able to focus correctly than for the photo per se.:)

Manual focusing with the 50mm at f/1.4 can be a real pain in the....

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ
Pretty windy day here in Phoenix, gusting in the high 40s to 50s. (The flag in the top left is evidence of the wind!)
They managed to get her down!

2512704638_18b17e16cd.jpg

Jan 30, 2006
EDIT: For future reference, does anyone know how to delete your own post?!:D Sorry Guys!:eek:

Just report your post to the mods.:)

The little red and white triangle at the bottom-left of every post.

EDIT: Also, remember to reduce the size of the images that you quote. Including the <timg> brackets, or just adding a "t" before the IMG that you would see in the quote.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ
Just report your post to the mods.:)

The little red and white triangle at the bottom-left of every post.

EDIT: Also, remember to reduce the size of the images that you quote. Including the <timg> brackets, or just adding a "t" before the IMG that you would see in the quote.
Thank you!
Ahhh, I thought we were supposed to reduce the size of images we quote, I never knew how so I tried not to comment on peoples pictures. Thank you!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Going Squirrely

p727039798.jpg

Falls Church, VA
May 21
Nikon D3
70-180 Micro-Nikkor
1/80 sec @ f/7.1
ISO 1250

I had set out to do some macro shooting, toting the 70-180 with a Kenko extension tube, and after having shot some nice flowers here-and-there I stopped in to chat with a neighbor. She lives on the ground floor of the condo development and likes to feed the squirrels. When they began coming right up to us, I hastily removed the extension tube, sat down in the doorway leading out to her patio and started firing away..... Certainly this is NOT the lens I would normally use for such shooting, but I was happy with how well it did in a pinch. Lighting conditions were not great -- a very cloudy, overcast day with the threat of rain any minute, but then the sun would unexpectedly pop out for a second or two. So I had fun "going squirrely" this afternoon......

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
The Forbidden City

I like this photo more for the fact of me being able to focus correctly than for the photo per se.:)

Manual focusing with the 50mm at f/1.4 can be a real pain in the....

I love the focus / DOF on this one. Definitely worth the pain of trying to manually focus at 1.4 (I find 1.8 hard enough!)

The Sights of Beijing
Nikon D80 + 55-200 VR
Exposure: Aperture Priority (Auto ISO)
Shutter Speed: 1/60
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 55mm
Flash: Off
ISO: 250

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.