Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ
Sky Harbor International Airport Control Tower. Phoenix, Az
2517516332_08c01335c8.jpg

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
This is part of the mating "dance" of this group of jumping spiders (family Salticidae). This is an adult male that was trying to copulate with a nearby female. Sadly, it didn't work out for him, since the female left in a hurry.

Attachments

• Big hug.jpg
    Big hug.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 502

xcalibre

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
xcalibre, where (in scotland) was this picture taken?
It looks like he has taken it from Eilean Donan looking up the loch to Skye.
Quite correct, and this one is looking the other way.
dsc013gg9.jpg

PS- has a decision been reached about this resizing crap yet? i'd like to know what size to export my photos so they don't get timg'ed by a trigger happy mod...

VictorM

Sep 12, 2006
hogtown
This is part of the mating "dance" of this group of jumping spiders (family Salticidae). This is an adult male that was trying to copulate with a nearby female. Sadly, it didn't work out for him, since the female left in a hurry.
attachment.php

Very sharp. You are motivating me to go out and photograph some new bugs :) I don't think I've seen any spiders so colourful when I've been out (maybe there aren't any in my area).

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver

Poor guy.. I can relate ;)

That's an amazing image though. What lens did you use for it?

And Thanks Oblomow :). I'm all excited about choosing an Avatar now..

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
See all of you around...

I'm done with this site, and with that I'd like to send my warmest regards to all my fellow photographers who frequent this forum - it's been a pleasure enjoying your great work, and humor and eloquence. I have looked forward each day to these digital photography threads, especially the POTD and other picture threads, as they have been full of the joy of discovery which photography brings out of many of us, young or old, experienced or inexperience, amateur or pro.

Unfortunately, for me... the ongoing battle between mods (or mod) and posters here about nitpicky things like pixel size, timg tags and similar non-subject related issues has dampened my enthusiasm, as noted by the anger that I feel rising inside when I see all these original posts (good posts) edited, and for quite some time of late, completely scrubbed of any images at all, even thumbnails. We tried to come to a reasonable accommodation, took it to the feedback forum, had a poll, and it was clear what the majority of thread users would like to see - but the constant hands-on policing of non-descript "rules" doesn't stop. And now it's getting sarcastic and turning into nothing but a war of 2 sides - and we know which side has the (short term) power. Instead of enjoying the tread... it just makes me mad. Since that's not a good thing, it's in my best interests to leave you all with it rather than sticking around unhappy. And it's the only power I have going for me, obviously. So I'm going to exercise it.

Keep up the good work, all you photographers, and hopefully I'll see your work on more user friendly sites.

Best wishes,
Phil (pdxflint)

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Keep up the good work, all you photographers, and hopefully I'll see your work on more user friendly sites.

Best wishes,
Phil (pdxflint)

Hi Phil, sorry to see you leaving. I'm going to miss your contributions. I'll stick around some more, hopefully not in vain. Otherwise I'll join you in your quest for a better place. :)

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Alaska wild rose:
Rosa062007.jpg

I do agree that all the different image sizes makes this forum a little difficult to posters and viewers. Some of the forums I post my photos at, have an image size rule for photos uploaded straight from my hard drive. One of the rules is for these photos to fit in a 1024 pixels by 1024 pixels box. For example, the photo above fits in such a box size, although it can be larger. When scaling a photo down, I do so to approximately 700+ horizontal pixels x 400+ vertical pixels depending on the photo. Then I save it for posting on the Web at 100KB.

Something nicer would be to allow posters to post one image per day, but in a different thread instead of one such as this. This way the page would load fast, and all the comments or replays would be directed to a single photo and person who posted it.

To have an idea of what I am referring to, take a look at this forum:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Please note that not all posts load equally fast, since some posters also load large or multiple images. Multiple images are slow to load. I usually open those that load faster, and skip the big and slow-loading ones. By the way, while over there, take a look at "Lord V's" macros.

TomsMacBook

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
Rugeley, England.
First post in this section. New photographer, borrowed my dads camera for this event. Just got around to editing this today in Lightroom. (I know, a newbie using a proper programme? I got it free, so why not?)

20080524-j7a9kjx4jn2d4nc69w4j6f8a1w.png

Uploaded on my skitch.

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland

Best wishes,
Phil (pdxflint)

Phil ,I'm really sad that you are leaving us, I have really enjoyed seeing your work here since I started viewing this forum. It is a shame that the politics of what should have been a simple issue to remedy have led to this ! All the best for the future.

"Ardvreck Castle"

2502550758_dedb8bfb73_b.jpg

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Very sharp. You are motivating me to go out and photograph some new bugs :) I don't think I've seen any spiders so colourful when I've been out (maybe there aren't any in my area).

Thanks! And I'm pretty sure there are awesome bugs where you live. If you have a grassy area nearby, you can spot some pretty awesome bugs with a little patience. What type of natural areas do you have nearby? (grasslands, tropical forests, pine forests, etc)

Poor guy.. I can relate ;)

That's an amazing image though. What lens did you use for it?

I used a Canon 100mm macro lens and a Ring Lite ring flash. I reduced the image to about 40% of it's original size. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.