Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I'm done with this site, and with that I'd like to send my warmest regards to all my fellow photographers who frequent this forum - it's been a pleasure enjoying your great work, and humor and eloquence.

Keep up the good work, all you photographers, and hopefully I'll see your work on more user friendly sites.

Best wishes,
Phil (pdxflint)

Phil, we are all really sorry to see you go. :( Hopefully you'll come back to us soon!!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Phil, I am sad to see that you're leaving us, especially for such a reason. I hope that you'll come back one day!

p917831395.jpg

May 23, 2008
Brookside Botanical Gardens Butterfly Conservatory, Silver Spring, MD
Nikon D3
70-180 Micro-Nikkor
1/200 sec @ f/10
Flash fired
ISO 200

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
Well we don't have great rolling hills around here that don't have trailers or telephone poles or cell antennas....so I grabbed a shot of the stray kitten that has taking a liking to me!

20080525-8kiw7hch1s43w1c5swkccgh7kp.jpg

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Selling Fruit

Selling fruit in Shu Cheng
Nikon D80 + 55-200 VR
Exposure: Aperture priority (Auto ISO)
Shutter Speed: 1/125
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 105mm
Flash: Off
ISO: 180

I urge anybody who is interested in the pictures in this thread to join this discussion. The future of this thread is being decided, and everybody who enjoys it should be involved.

Cheers,
Chris.

fett

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
I tried photographing a lady bug and failed. I spent 1/2 hour following this bug around in the grass and this is the best I got. I have a new respect for the patience of the posters who do bug macros.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I tried photographing a lady bug and failed. I spent 1/2 hour following this bug around in the grass and this is the best I got. I have a new respect for the patience of the posters who do bug macros.

I know what you mean. I'm happy to stand around for an hour in the landscape, waiting for the light to get 'interesting'. But I don't have the patience to lie in the grass and photograph bugs, so I have every respect for those who do...

Having read the posts from mods and forum-users, I still haven't seen anyone presenting - in clear, simple, layman's language - that a) there is a problem, b) exactly what that problem is and c) what we should be doing about it.

Unless I'm badly mistaken, this forum is for the benefit of those who use it. I've seen no complaints from photographers about not being able to see larger images on small monitors, so the problem must lie with the forum administrators, who edit pages for what seem like arbitrary reasons.

Like Phil, I won't be hanging around here much longer if a photo forum can't be used for displaying and quoting pix and offering comments on them. Check back here in a while, Phil, and see if this nonsense gets sorted out.

In the meantime, it's early summer in a meadow in Derbyshire... :)

fieldnx6.jpg

sud

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2008
Australia
Its a bit old I think but a great shot none the less, took this at Roma Street Parklands.

Attachments

• P1000551 - Version 2.jpg
    P1000551 - Version 2.jpg
    814.7 KB · Views: 82

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Some lines in the sky

click the image for a larger version
Nikon D40, 135mm, f/5.6​

Fun fact i only noticed after downloading the image from the camera:
There are actually 15 horizontal/diagonal lines visible in the image, although 2 are barely visible at the bottom left corner.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
More Dogwood

Bye Pdxflint, wish there was something we could do to make you stay, but keep up the great work!

2517196184_fff0db788b_b.jpg
I think this is really good with all that lovely color and contrast... perfect for a desktop.:D (if you don't mind...)

I'm willing to bet that many viewers envisioned a wipeout shortly following my post from yesterday, Are You Sure You Know What You're Doing!?... so I would like to add this photo in sequence, taken 4 seconds after yesterday's image. ;)

Yes We Can.

_1080423-1.png

L1 + ZD70-300

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela

It seems to me like you have a mixed problem. On one hand the aperture seems too wide to get a nice DOF, and on the other there's just not enough light to pull off that small aperture. Apart from that, I love the composition! :) What were your settings?

But I don't have the patience to lie in the grass and photograph bugs, so I have every respect for those who do...

Well, you don't always have to wait that much. Spend a day walking around and see where there are more bugs (or visit a botanical garden). Bugs will spawn from nowhere!

roebuck86

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2007
Lincoln, UK
It's been ages since I've been able to get out and shoot some stuff. So I headed out for an hour today... I need to get out shooting more often!!

2520362327_d27897d35d.jpg

genshi

macrumors 6502a
261960572_19fa692899.jpg

Larger versions available on my flickr page.

Totally cool! Is that street lighting? The larger version is fantastic.:cool:

Thank you very much.

No street lighting. It was taken at high noon, the sun sort of backlighting the trees from above, a broken sprinkler hitting the top of the tree and the water on the ground reflecting back up on the building in the background making it blue. No photoshopping except to crop it square and ever-so-slight exposure adjustment. It was one of those cases of being at the right place at the right time.

I don't normally do color nature shots (I'm more of a black & white street photography guy) but, people seem to like this shot over at jpg magazine and on flickr and I have another shot that I actually like more than this one, taken at the same time a few feet over of a wall of rocks, but I guess I'll post it tomorrow (there's a one photo a day rule right?)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Goodbye posts bother me, and not because they make me sad.

Yes We Can.

You post sooooooooo many surfing shots. ;) I know that has been your thing for like the past 2 years, but one thing I've noticed is that they're usually (1) Underexposed, and (2) Flat. The photo is excellent (composed very well), but it would really have a lot more punch if you either increased the exposure and contrast, or tried experimenting with exposure compensation and use +2/3 EV or something (and increase from there if necessary). I know you didn't ask me for my opinion, but there you go. Some of your images have been underexposed since you had your point & shoot, and I figure you would have sorted it out. It could just be my Firefox browser, but who knows.

261960572_19fa692899.jpg

Larger versions available on my flickr page.

That's incredible!

Mine isn't so incredible. I have used my camera around 4 times since Christmas, and I'd only count 2 of those times. I've been very busy with my thesis. Anyway, haven't shot since Feb/March, so I went out for 30 minutes on Saturday (May 24th) to shoot anything(!!) I could find at the botanic gardens. I was pathetic. I just shot anything and everything I could in the shortest amount of time possible, just because I was so desperate to shoot. The botanic gardens is just the easiest place to shoot some worthwhile photos if you don't have much time.

Because it's winter in Australia, there wasn't much choice, but anyway, I found some green plants with a nice purple background to shoot against, which gave me something to work with. I have some more photos of some crappy dying berries to post too.

Attachments

• DSC_9176.jpg
    DSC_9176.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 60

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Today at the local art school. I've been practising shooting in the theatre. Difficult, bad positions and lots of unwanted light. ( brightly lit backgrounds for example). I like how this one turned out, although I didn't manage to get the same vividness in the jpg as in the raw.
IMG_3622.jpg

1/100s f/2.2 ISO3200 85mm

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Not sure how I feel about this one but some people might just be happy that I turned my camera on yesterday. ;)

Attachments

• DSC_0377_HB_Pier_052408.jpg
    DSC_0377_HB_Pier_052408.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 74
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.