Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fett

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
It seems to me like you have a mixed problem. On one hand the aperture seems too wide to get a nice DOF, and on the other there's just not enough light to pull off that small aperture. Apart from that, I love the composition! :) What were your settings?

Thanks...It's embarrassing to post the settings (f/4 and 1/30) because I know better. I got caught up in chasing the lady bug and forgot everything I have ever learned about macro photography. I will try again when it stops raining.

Until then you get pancakes.

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure: 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 85 mm
Flash: One flash in shoot through umbrella camera left, another on camera set to master and pointed at the white background behind pancakes. I used TTL to control the flash power.

zirkle2007

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Indiana, USA
My first post on this thread. Love the photographs you guys take! Comments and criticism appreciated!

Attachments

• DSC_0028.jpg
    DSC_0028.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 88

iSaga

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
Hello all, my first post as a member of this forum.. I have been reading the boards for awhile now and this thread inspired me to join. Here is my first submission to this thread.

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
Dont THINK i've ever posted this one. It was the first picture i took properly with my EOS 400d.

2271875787_781c43c700.jpg

I think you posted this a couple of months ago. I remember liking it at the time and suggesting it might be even better if the whole image was black and white.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
You post sooooooooo many surfing shots...
Thank you Abstract, I really do appreciate your comments. I have been working on upping the contrast and color... these last two actually looked much better in Aperture 2 before I exported them to jpeg. I am having issues with Aperture and that may be part of it (never should have tried that third party stuff):rolleyes: that combined with the fact that I shoot all my raws in Adobe RGB with prints in mind, and they must be changed to sRGB to look decent on various web browsers, plus they are at the mercy of Photobucket and whatever mood that server is in... and so on! Anyhow, they look dull in Safari as well to me. I am looking for a solution, but as of yet not having any luck.:( Thanks again for speaking up. I'll try bettr next time! I went back and replaced my previous post with a png, looks a little bettr, keep in mind it was a foggy morning and there was no sunlight to make the highlights sparkle, and i shoot em like i see em.:D

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Not the usual dock :)

Alaska moose by the road. Used Rebel XT, and EF 200mm L prime from a distance of 35-60 feet.

Attachments

• Moo05252008c.jpg
    Moo05252008c.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Moo05252008d.jpg
    Moo05252008d.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 70

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
unionstation.jpg

One handheld RAW // HDR // Shutter: 1/60 // Aperture: f/16 // Focal Length: 17 mm // ISO 640

...HDR used to recover the sky's highlights.
Pre-Memorial Day annual symphony concert at Union Station, Kansas City, Missouri.

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
unionstation.jpg

...HDR used to recover the sky's highlights.
Pre-Memorial Day annual symphony concert at Union Station, Kansas City, Missouri.

I think the crowd looks great with HDR - the colours have worked really well - and the buildings look good, but with this image I don't think it's so successful on the sky. There's still too much that's burnt out and the rest looks too dark and gloomy, which doesn't fit the mood of the rest of the picture. It might work better if you cropped it just above the buildings, so the burnt out sky is not included at all.

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
sonor:

That is absolutely powerful!
I really like how the monochrome mood works with the perceived depth and strong lining.

love it.

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
Thanks thr33face.

It started off as a photo of a regular green bush - I quite liked it as a textural image, but thought I could get more out of it. I went to the Channel Mixer in Photoshop and after experimenting for a while decided to abandon reality and go for something a little different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.