Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
First time poster to this forum. I really like what I see here as your work provides another conduit to learn from and get ideas.

This is a picture of a mask that my wife and I brought home from Venice, Italy.

Setup:
Nikon D3
f/5, 1/60
35mm (24-70mm f/2.8)

I use NIK Color Efex 3.0 as my mainstay for applying filters.
Neutral density filter--3 layers
Sunshine filter--painted into 3 layers
Background removed (I see my walls enough as is)
Gradient filter applied to two layers (warm hues)
Glamor Glow filter on two layers
High Key on one layer
Low Key painted on two layers
Liberal use of black airbrush

CC welcome--I hope I am not breaking any rules with this shot and the methods used to produce the final result.

Click on the picture for a larger image.

I'm not crazy about the framing. I think it would look better as a closely cropped vertical. I just tried cropping it that way, and it's much stronger. The diagonal of the eyes, swath of light, and tilt of the shoulders really fall nicely within a tight vertical frame, and you still get the effect of this radiant face emerging from darkness--it's actually far more engaging. I'd post my crop to show you, but I'm not sure if that's acceptable here.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Just another day in paradise...

_1040606.png

LUMIX L1 + ZD70-300

kayes

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Beautiful! The rays of sunlight look amazing in this one.

Thanks for comments Tommy. Some days the sunrise here is even more spectacular. I will just have to try to get up early enough and capture them :)

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
I was down in London last weekend to test my new 10-20mm Sigma and...

...it works a treat!

The above photograph and the process as to how I took it and removed the people can be seen on my blog, simply click the photograph above to find out more.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Well, the thumbnail is too small to see much, so I clicked... and the big version nearly made my monitor melt!

Not exactly CC... 'cos I can't view the pic properly... though I'm a bit baffled at the number of PP processes you needed to get the pic as you wanted. :eek:

But that's just me... a bit 'old school'... ;)

Doylem--Thanks for the reply--silly of me not to post the original I worked from to help better understand the hoops I jumped through. The original is on the left and finished product on the right. Sometimes the pic I want is just a spark of imagination that I am lucky to get a glimpse at.

Phrasikleia--cropped per your suggestion. You are right, it is stronger. Would love to see what you had in mind.

Click on either pic to get a bigger view.

Attachments

• DSC_3740 - 2008-05-25 at 19-46-45.jpg
    DSC_3740 - 2008-05-25 at 19-46-45.jpg
    893.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Mask3.jpg
    Mask3.jpg
    1,011.2 KB · Views: 86

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Phrasikleia--cropped per your suggestion. You are right, it is stronger. Would love to see what you had in mind.

I'm attaching my crop. I retained the proportions of your sensor and just made it a vertical. I like the immediacy that the tighter crop gives; it makes the mask more 'present'.

I also really like your Photoshop work on this shot. It's a terrific use of post-processing. Really masterful, in my opinion.

Attachments

• Mask2.jpg
    Mask2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 76

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Simplicity

Nikon D3
70mm (24-70MM f/2.8)
f/5, 1/60
ISO 200

CC welcome.

Post processing:
Gausian blur (background)
High Key
Soft glow
Healing brush

Click image for larger pic.

Attachments

• Jaxonshirt2.jpg
    Jaxonshirt2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
I'm attaching my crop. I retained the proportions of your sensor and just made it a vertical. I like the immediacy that the tighter crop gives; it makes the mask more 'present'.

I also really like your Photoshop work on this shot. It's a terrific use of post-processing. Really masterful, in my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback--I really like your take...stronger and more interesting.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
All in a day's work

All in a day's work
Nikon D80 + 55-200 VR
Exposure: Aperture Priority
Shutter Speed: 1/1000
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 200mm
Flash: Off
ISO: 100

Fishing boat, Steveston, BC

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Maxxamillian This is art![/QUOTE said:
I set the camera in front of the kitchen sink, room lights off, lens around 4' from the water droplets dripping from the faucet. Set a red laser pointer on the water, as well as a flashlight at the other side (both pointing at the glass water's surface), and then shot a photo each time a drop of water was coming down from the faucet. Used the camera's flash, and got a few good ones out of about 100 photos. The droplets shown on the photos are ascending from the water surface's in the glass (splashes?)

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
eagles001.jpg

"Defeat"

Adams Park, High Wycombe
Under 7s football tournament​

I agree also. amazing shot.

"Anchor Mill"

2529654662_79c5f2fc25_b.jpg

This is an evening shot of the Anchor Mill in Paisley Scotland. It is famous for being responsible for popularizing the "Paisley Pattern" .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.