Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VictorM

Sep 12, 2006
hogtown
sonor - I like the lines in your shot ("Defeat").

Thanks Father Jack & Doylem.

Here's another take on my last shot. I like them both for different reasons (see previous). This one shows more building and maybe communicates the reflection better, but I also wonder if it's too busy? Whereas the previous one is simpler and isolates the main theme.

p720839566-3.jpg

Reflecting Windows II - Toronto, May 2008​

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
No, I hadn't heard of them before. Why?

It's because a man who goes by the name of John, obviously not your case Martin, sent in a photograph of a drop of water about to hit the surface of his kitchen sink. He said it was inspired by a photographer named Mikel Edbeck (or something like that). The thing is that he did it with the same shutter speed and camera as you... Coincidence hey?

Ams.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Paths

From a Japanese garden by Delaware Park Buffalo, NY.
CC welcome as these were taken as JPEGs and not RAW :(
Path
Aperture: f3
Focal Length: 7mm
ISO: 100

David
Aperture: f10.6
Focal Length: 11mm
ISO: 50

Attachments

• Paths.jpg
    Paths.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 85
  • David.jpg
    David.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 83

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Taken with my new Nikon D300 and the 18-85 VR. (The product of 7 months working weekends and evenings at the grocery store.. )
This photo straight out of the camera.

20080528-nf7cf5nbtg85344rq6n2tka7fs.jpg

It's also interesting to note that iPhoto reads the D300's NEF files just fine, but Aperture 1.5 refuses to display them (And instead says 'unsupported image format').

Jan 30, 2006
CC welcome as these were taken as JPEGs and not RAW :(

The first has the potential to be good, but it lacks something. Something that attracts your attention.

And the second one is excellent! The sky looks great. If anything I would maybe make the composition different. Putting The David at the left, not in the center. But really nice photo.:)

20080528-nf7cf5nbtg85344rq6n2tka7fs.jpg

It's also interesting to note that iPhoto reads the D300's NEF files just fine, but Aperture 1.5 refuses to display them (And instead says 'unsupported image format').

Incredible what that little lens can do. The photo is amazing! I like the colors and the DOF.

As for Aperture 1.5 not recognizing the D300, I am under the impression that the D300 is only supported in Aperture 2.

The photo is very eye-catching. But it looks way to surreal for my liking, the sky seems to be completely dark in one side, like indicating an imminent storm, but given the sun behind the trees, and the people seated all around, you realize that it is indeed a sunny day.

Maybe a photo like this, but without people, would be even better.:)

But one thing is for sure, the photo is very interesting. And I am curious, what are soo many people sitting there doing?

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
pennvalleypark.jpg

One handheld RAW // HDR // Shutter: 1/100 // Aperture: f/14 // Focal Length: 17 mm // ISO 200

I'd be curious to hear opinions on this.

I think it's a nice photo but I agree about the sky. The contrast between the brooding clouds and the sunny trees doesn't feel right. Also it's too HDR for my taste, but that's more of a personal opinion.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
pennvalleypark.jpg

I never tire of a play of light – in the landscape or subsequent photographs - because the effect is always different and new. Every dawn is new, every twilight too. But the distinctive characteristics of HDR photography get wearisome – to me, at any rate - because they are so predictable. Stonework and faces look ‘grubby’... like they could do with a scrub. Cloudy skies are redrawn in charcoal. The scene, though recognisable, is one step removed from reality, verging towards the cartoon-like.

These people may have gathered for a concert but, once the scene has been put through the HDR wringer, it seems more likely that they have assembled, on the day of judgement, to await the apocalypse.

One problem with HDR, IMO, is that if a dramatic effect is “awesome”, then there’s every incentive to make a picture even more dramatic (“really awesome”). It’s the same in the movies, with every car chase having to be more spectacular than the last. It’s what the public expects: ever more eye-popping stunts.

Wanting to see if it was really as bad as the critics said, I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean 3: two hours and more of frenzied, unbelievable, computer generated action... without a shred of coherent plot. When ‘effects’ come so thick and fast, we become desensitised, numbed, maybe bored. Well, this is how I feel about HDR.

I use HDR for some interiors, some sunsets, some scenes where it’s particularly hard to compress a range of lighting conditions into a single shot. I don’t draw attention to the method, any more than I would about using a grey grad filter – a more traditional tool for keeping detail in a sky which might otherwise be ‘washed out’. Using HDR indiscriminately, on every picture, seems perverse to me... like trying to force every picture into the ‘landscape’ format, when some would look better square or ‘portrait’ or panoramic.

This is just my point of view, and I don’t want to start another argument. HDR pix obviously please a lot of people, on this forum and elsewhere. But I ‘pass’ on heavily HDR’d pix, because they have crossed my own individual boredom threshhold... and they ain’t coming back.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
I went liberally with the tone mapping on that photo purely on a whim. Most of the time I think I'm pretty realistic. But really Doylem, you've said that same speech repeatedly as long as I've been posting here, and I'll just reiterate that I believe 75% of the use for HDR lies in the realm of the practical, while about 25% lies in the realm of the embellished surrealism. :)

I've long had the funny feeling that if we were all living sixty years prior, we'd be hearing bewailments about color film posing a threat to the craft.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
These people may have gathered for a concert but, once the scene has been put through the HDR wringer, it seems more likely that they have assembled, on the day of judgement, to await the apocalypse.

That sentence reminded me so strongly and unmistakably of J.G. Ballard's body of work...

Have you by any chance ever had the manifest pleasure of picking up one of his books..? He is possibly the most brilliant writer alive.

sidharth80

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Chicago,IL
Hot springs at yellowstone national park

Please free to CC. This was taken on sunday at mammoth hot springs, yellowstone national park.

Attachments

• Geyser.jpg
    Geyser.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 104

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK

I feel the same about this as I did about your last photo. I like the HDR colours on the crowd, but I'd prefer to see a blue sky. I like HDR images when they look a bit like paintings and I'd say many of your best photos have this kind of quality, but if a painter was tackling this scene I'd don't think they'd opt for a black sky...it just doesn't make sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.