Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

genshi

macrumors 6502a
unionstation.jpg

One handheld RAW // HDR // Shutter: 1/60 // Aperture: f/16 // Focal Length: 17 mm // ISO 640

...HDR used to recover the sky's highlights.
Pre-Memorial Day annual symphony concert at Union Station, Kansas City, Missouri.

I love this. And I personally think the gloominess of the sky with the colorful festiveness of the crowd makes this all the more surreal.

This is brilliant!

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Finally signs of spring/summer as I just happen to see this beauty while cooking on the grill yesterday and it stayed around for about half an hour and about 165 pics later until dinner called. I haven't tried to edit any of the photos thus far as it's been cookout weekend around here but still CC welcome. Also this was with my new 18-200VR mm.
Focal length: 200 mm
Shutter: 1/125
Aperture: f8
ISO: 250

Attachments

• ButterFly_Side1.jpg
    ButterFly_Side1.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 102

genshi

macrumors 6502a
Finally signs of spring/summer as I just happen to see this beauty while cooking on the grill yesterday and it stayed around for about half an hour and about 165 pics later until dinner called. I haven't tried to edit any of the photos thus far as it's been cookout weekend around here but still CC welcome. Also this was with my new 18-200VR mm.
Focal length: 200 mm
Shutter: 1/125
Aperture: f8
ISO: 250

Please forgive me if this seems too presumptuous of me; though I know you said you didn't have time to edit, I keep seeing too many shots here that are beautifully composed with great subject matter, but lacking in proper exposure and/or simple level or curve adjustments.

I'm certainly no expert on this but, here is a quick and dirty (literally less than a minute) adjustment I did of your photo to make it pop more. With more time and the raw file itself, this could be stunning.

Attachments

• ButterFly_Side1_version.jpg
    ButterFly_Side1_version.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 107

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Please forgive me if this seems too presumptuous of me; though I know you said you didn't have time to edit, I keep seeing too many shots here that are beautifully composed with great subject matter, but lacking in proper exposure and/or simple level or curve adjustments.

I'm certainly no expert on this but, here is a quick and dirty (literally less than a minute) adjustment I did of your photo to make it pop more. With more time and the raw file itself, this could be stunning.

I agree and figure I can adjust things later (tonight I hope) as I was just happy to finally get this butterfly in my yard for once (minus the cloud coverage that happen to follow it). At this time I have to download the trial of Aperture or Lightroom since I don't have either nor do I have PS yet (I know, how could one not have the basics and not expect to need them at some point in time). I had the Beta of LR but since it's end I have focused back to my fine art and 3D than in other areas. I'm just now feeling the need to have a good editing App. since I've been able to get around more and build up my photo library. I did play around in Fireworks a bit with a few of these photos but I have to learn how to use that App. for the time being.
I do appreciate the CC very much :) and the edit on the pic.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Stormy Sky

Just before night fall around 8:35-8:45 PM a storm rolls in…
I have a cropped version @ 200mm of just the clouds and they look like an ocean storm instead of just clouds.
First photo info:
Shutter: 1/500
Aperture: f5.6
Focal Length: 95mm
ISO: 320

Second photo info:
Shutter: 1/640
Aperture: f5.6
Focal Length: 200mm
ISO: 400

Attachments

• Stormy Sky.jpg
    Stormy Sky.jpg
    524.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Stormy Sky 2.jpg
    Stormy Sky 2.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 72

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Autumn

First time poster to this forum. I really like what I see here as your work provides another conduit to learn from and get ideas.

This is a picture of a mask that my wife and I brought home from Venice, Italy.

Setup:
Nikon D3
f/5, 1/60
35mm (24-70mm f/2.8)

I use NIK Color Efex 3.0 as my mainstay for applying filters.
Neutral density filter--3 layers
Sunshine filter--painted into 3 layers
Background removed (I see my walls enough as is)
Gradient filter applied to two layers (warm hues)
Glamor Glow filter on two layers
High Key on one layer
Low Key painted on two layers
Liberal use of black airbrush

CC welcome--I hope I am not breaking any rules with this shot and the methods used to produce the final result.

Click on the picture for a larger image.

Attachments

• Mask1.jpg
    Mask1.jpg
    1,002.8 KB · Views: 154

Roric

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2005
WI
First submission.

Just playing with my new camera at the air show Sunday.

Attachments

• snowbird3.jpg
    snowbird3.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 73

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
This is a picture of a mask that my wife and I brought home from Venice, Italy.

I use NIK Color Efex 3.0 as my mainstay for applying filters.
Neutral density filter--3 layers
Sunshine filter--painted into 3 layers
Background removed (I see my walls enough as is)
Gradient filter applied to two layers (warm hues)
Glamor Glow filter on two layers
High Key on one layer
Low Key painted on two layers
Liberal use of black airbrush

CC welcome--I hope I am not breaking any rules with this shot and the methods used to produce the final result.

Click on the picture for a larger image.

Well, the thumbnail is too small to see much, so I clicked... and the big version nearly made my monitor melt!

Not exactly CC... 'cos I can't view the pic properly... though I'm a bit baffled at the number of PP processes you needed to get the pic as you wanted. :eek:

But that's just me... a bit 'old school'... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.