Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Group Hug

ClawFlowers.jpg

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
Your concept of showing individuals reflecting on their own downfall has the potential to be poignant, but so far these photos don't quite make it for me. The main problem, as I see it, is that we don't get any clues to complete each narrative. A downfall becomes poignant when we recognize the "hamartia" or tragic flaw/error of the character--that is, what essentially caused the character's demise.

Also, in order for a viewer to connect with the characters, the characters need to be sympathetic or believable; otherwise, we're left asking "so what?". We need more information about the characters, their situations, and their personal reflections. For your project, I think you need actors more so than models. None of these models you have are very expressive or believable; they just look posed. (I'm not saying they need to be overtly emotional, but a good actor can give just the right hint of an internal conflict or mental process.)

The photos are technically very impressive, but the overall effect just falls flat for these reasons. Just my $0.02.

Just MY $.02 .. but this is outstanding feedback. Too often photographers favor the technical at the expense of the narrative. This feedback is thoughtful, intelligent, and constructive. Wish I'd had such mentors years ago.

goodmorning

macrumors member
May 15, 2008
Minneapolis
I wish I was in NYC right now, so here's another oldie from the last time I was out there. Taken a year and a half ago with a 2MP Canon P&S (it was all I had then, but I've since upgraded).
a78567bd9ea94555999c5b847e6cb707

Gray's Papaya- Kosher Hot Dogs & Accurate Economic Predictions

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
City Webs: (it's a timg, click it for a bigger version)

Nikon D40, 30mm

Should've stopped down to f/11 but didn't.

Jan 30, 2006

Nikon D40x
Nikkor 50 f/1.4

Just trying something different here. I should also recommend the book, it's The Ruins, by Scott Smith, a good night read.

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
xcalibre, where (in scotland) was this picture taken?
It looks like he has taken it from Eilean Donan looking up the loch to Skye.

"Wake Up Glasgow"

2515696194_3ac533fcc6_b.jpg

Taken at 04:30 this morning in Glasgow (West George St), I don't know if that still constitutes a "Night Shot" or it should be a "Day Shot" ?
This is really the best time to view this street as anyone who knows Glasgow will tell you that be now this street has no parking spaces and the traffic will be nose to tail with buses blocking the corners and delivery drivers double parked..

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't know about the sky, but I do kind of like the light streak from the plane

That plane must have been going quite fast. If it wasn't I'd suspect the stars would have tiny trails and the street lights would be a bit more blown out. Good work.

goodmorning

macrumors member
May 15, 2008
Minneapolis
That plane must have been going quite fast. If it wasn't I'd suspect the stars would have tiny trails and the street lights would be a bit more blown out. Good work.

Thanks, this actually was a 25 second exposure taken on the University of Minnesota campus, the streetlights must be dimmer than usual...

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
went to Scarborough Fair (a renaissance festival) last weekend...not sure what this guys was but he kinda reminded me of a musketeer

2509688612_ec790c25f4_b.jpg

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
It looks like he has taken it from Eilean Donan looking up the loch to Skye.

Taken at 04:30 this morning in Glasgow (West George St), I don't know if that still constitutes a "Night Shot" or it should be a "Day Shot" ?
This is really the best time to view this street as anyone who knows Glasgow will tell you that be now this street has no parking spaces and the traffic will be nose to tail with buses blocking the corners and delivery drivers double parked..

Nice! In the beginning of the evening it looks like this:
scotland20080003.jpg

1/50s f/5.6 ISO3200 21mm

kayes

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
a tea house in the mountains

Pic taken at a tea plantation in the Cameron Highlands which is about a 3 hour drive from Penang.

macrum22.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.