Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
witherslackbellropes.jpg

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.

Really nice Doylem.

ForgetMeNot_Square.jpg

28mm@f13 + 50mm@f1.7 reversed, 1/180s, iso200

Nice photo love the colour and glowing bokeh 'gons,
I tried the other way around with a 50mm f1.4 @ f2.8 + reversed 28mm giving impossibly shallow dof, how much dof leeway did that setup give you? I'm wondering if it's worth purchasing the M42 adapter any try the other way around.

It was high speed action photography with the lady beetle… I just couldn't keep up :rolleyes:

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
Ok time for a new one, i forgot to post yesterday :p

Ok this is my favorite one out of the bunch, even with the light flare. This was Student choice lighting, i had one on the backdrop, one shining onto the model from the back and one side light with the barn doors closed slightly to get the light on the can. I tried to get the diagram I made but I'm having trouble d/l it. Hope you like C&C appreciated as always!

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
Nice photo love the colour and glowing bokeh 'gons,
I tried the other way around with a 50mm f1.4 @ f2.8 + reversed 28mm giving impossibly shallow dof, how much dof leeway did that setup give you? I'm wondering if it's worth purchasing the M42 adapter any try the other way around.
Thank you :)

DoF was tiny, I had to find the one flower out of about one hundred, that was facing the right way. DoF was pretty much the thickness of the petals.

I recently got a reverse mount adapter. It has a K-mount on one side and male 52 filter thread on the other side. I then use a 49-52mm step up ring and am able to mount my manual 50mm lens in reverse directly on the camera. DoF is of course very shallow, but still not as much as the combination of two lenses.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Ok time for a new one, i forgot to post yesterday :p

Ok this is my favorite one out of the bunch, even with the light flare. This was Student choice lighting, i had one on the backdrop, one shining onto the model from the back and one side light with the barn doors closed slightly to get the light on the can. I tried to get the diagram I made but I'm having trouble d/l it. Hope you like C&C appreciated as always!

You might try sketching out shots like this in advance to get the balance right before you do the shoot. The suggestion made earlier (a crop of your first shot) would be a better solution to including the model without upstaging the "product." In this shot, the model's head adds nothing but confusion. She's a silhouette with prominent ears, haloed by bright red, who holds aloft (awkwardly) a product that is slightly turned away from us. The goal of a product shot is to make it appealing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.