Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Mine for tonight

Click!
537405632_j4dER-L.jpg

NintendoChick

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
So, I did a friend a favor and shot her senior portraits (against my will).
In the end, we both had a lot of fun!

CnC is appreciated! Especially b/c they haven't been printed yet. :)

otter

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2006
Darwin, NT
Gorgeous! I will post one of mine similar to this in a few... Did you use a photo box for this? What do you have on the bottom, granite?

Thanks, and yep it was a home-made light box with a piece of granite tile. I kinda over did it with the petals. If I was doing it again I'd use less so you'd see more of the reflection of the flower.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Wow, very nice! Looks like the stuff they include with Aperture.
Thanks! During that session was the closest I've ever gotten to a hummingbird. At times I was even hitting the minimum focus distance (1.3m), and it didn't bat an eye. The buzzing sounds they make when they fly is something everyone needs to hear up close :)

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
Nintendochick - Just curious... with your skills as a photographer, why the reluctance to help your friend? There is nothing in your photos (from what I have seen) that would suggest you would do less than a great job. Love the shot BTW.

My pic - still waiting for full foliage in southern Ontario.
lowergrand.jpg

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT

Always impressed with your stuff NintendoChick, you did great on this shot!! The most important element in portraits are the eyes and face, you made her eyes pop and added great layers of light to her face so as not to appear flat. You're a natural.

On the criticism side, this is a suggestion more along the lines of try and see how it looks, but have her tilt her head a little bit more upwards to prevent her eyeballs from getting too much white on the bottom, and to point her face more directly at the camera. But that's more try and see.

NintendoChick

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
^^Great eyes, very well done.

I think that is a great shot. Especially under the pressure of having to shoot her senior shot. Her eyes pop.

Nintendochick - Just curious... with your skills as a photographer, why the reluctance to help your friend? There is nothing in your photos (from what I have seen) that would suggest you would do less than a great job. Love the shot BTW.

Always impressed with your stuff NintendoChick, you did great on this shot!! The most important element in portraits are the eyes and face, you made her eyes pop and added great layers of light to her face so as not to appear flat. You're a natural.

On the criticism side, this is a suggestion more along the lines of try and see how it looks, but have her tilt her head a little bit more upwards to prevent her eyeballs from getting too much white on the bottom, and to point her face more directly at the camera. But that's more try and see.

Thank you everyone!

mcavjame: I've always been afraid to shoot portraits. The human body (and soul), is just so dynamic, I'm always afraid I'll loose something in the photograph. And I REALLY didn't want to mess up a friend's senior portraits... :p

shadow leaf

shadowleaf56.jpg

I find this picture quite soothing. I really like the shadows on the right-hand side. :)

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia

I'm a guy and a few of my senior classmates asked me to take their casuals after the photography studio we used yielded disappointing results. Sure, I was nervous about getting them right, etc...but they all loved them! I'm not as experienced as you, and my shots weren't as good as the one you posted here. I'm sure that she will be stunned with the results. That's a great shot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.