Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danny.boy

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2009
My buddy Doc, best horse I have.

web.jpg

C&C

Wow! Mate, Thats brilliant, it's so emotive. I bet you could even sell it as a canvas print.

ants.jpg

I hand held this shot because I needed to get it before a custodian came and terminated the little guys.

This is awesome!

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
Difference in opinion then... I think it works well, as those signatures you mention don't look very drastic here at all, to me. To me it's a photo that makes something generally industrial and ugly and gives it a soft pleasantness.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
My buddy Doc, best horse I have.

web.jpg

C&C
This is wonderful but the only C&C I'd give is it is too bad there aren't more details in the highlights and I would try to push the horse to the right a bit more. Even still, it's beautiful.

biggiej42

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2009
This is wonderful but the only C&C I'd give is it is too bad there aren't more details in the highlights and I would try to push the horse to the right a bit more. Even still, it's beautiful.
Thanks, believe it or not, the shot was not staged, it just sort of happened! It may be possible that I lost some detail converting to B+W, as it was shot in JPEG instead of RAW.

Wow! Mate, Thats brilliant, it's so emotive. I bet you could even sell it as a canvas print.

Thanks so much, he's my pal, a beautiful horse, even at 24!

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
May 10th. C&C welcome!!

Interesting and colorful. Nicely captured!

The curb on the left bottom corner? What if you cropped it out? With that bring the top border down a bit and you might have a more action oriented shot.

Give it a go and see if you like it.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Difference in opinion then... I think it works well, as those signatures you mention don't look very drastic here at all, to me. To me it's a photo that makes something generally industrial and ugly and gives it a soft pleasantness.

I like to see photographs... not HDR photographs or flash photographs or filter photographs or Photoshopped photographs. I want to see images that convince... not the 'building blocks' that created them. Too often the technique itself is to the fore, getting in the way. Just my opinion, of course... ;)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I like to see photographs... not HDR photographs or flash photographs or filter photographs or Photoshopped photographs. I want to see images that convince... not the 'building blocks' that created them. Too often the technique itself is to the fore, getting in the way. Just my opinion, of course... ;)

I get what you're saying here. I'm not sure that shot benefitted from HDR in my opinion, either (but I realize some folks feel otherwise...:)) I've been experimenting a little with HDR/tone mapping/exposure blending, etc. etc... and for me it's often too easy to use it when it's not really necessary, at least for extending the dynamic range of the picture - for example, using this technique when the shot is well exposed to begin with, or the scene is fairly flat or non-contrasty. It always ends up making the shot look processed, or it's been laid on with FX. Sometimes, that can result in an interesting image, but usually it doesn't. If the scene is contrasty, then careful tonemapping using several bracketed shots can do wonders, and make the shot just come alive. At least potentially.

It all depends on what the goal is. For me, if I could master extracting as much detail from the shadows and highlights as possible while keeping the mid-ranges still nice and contrasty... it would work. But, only for some types of images. There's always something appealing about an old-fashioned contrasty black and white photo, with some blown highlights and lots of inky black shadows.

I suppose it's all about art, and there's no 'right' or 'wrong' way. Valdore makes some truly amazing images, they have almost a signature look to them, but much of that is because he shoots interesting angles, composes his shots well, and the subject matter (cityscapes) benefits from the moods created by the PP. And he uses his tools well.

I've also seen a lot of other HDR attempts (including my own...) where pushing the sliders too far one way or the other produce a very common look (halos, described often as the "rookie tone-mapper" look here.) Without an image worthy of the process in the first place, HDR by itself quickly becomes a boring application, like any other post-processing filter/plug-in - everything starts to have the same unnatural look which says more about the software than the photographer.

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a

Click for large.

This lizard was a hard shot to take technically. My AF couldn't focus so it was all manual, without a tripod, hunched over, in the hot afternoon sun, trying to get the right focus. I ended up shooting about 40 frames and hoping that a few of them would be sharp. This was the only one from this angle.

Taken in Sinalo State Mexico in early May.

If anyone know the type it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
This one is strange but the sun was setting and I found a little alley with a mirrored window to the left and I thought it made for a nice abstract photo with a person at the very end of the walkway. Hope you enjoy it.

SunetAlleyFull.jpg

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA

Great angle and line of sight. Love it.

Well, when you say it that way I totally agree. I liken applying HDR to applying dodging or burning or curve adjustments or cropping - all are parts of the processing. Every now and then though I'll hear some idiot start yammering something that sounds to me like "ZOE NOES!!!11 U Uzd teh HDeeeR DATS SOOO 2oo7 and klee-shay!!111" or some such baseless poppycock.

So that's my rant. And, I agree Doylem and Flint. (and thanks for the props, Flint).

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
This one is strange but the sun was setting and I found a little alley with a mirrored window to the left and I thought it made for a nice abstract photo with a person at the very end of the walkway. Hope you enjoy it.

SunetAlleyFull.jpg
Wow, great shot. I love the gold/black colors and the slanted, exaggerated lighting seals the deal. Nice work :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.