Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
Traveling light, with the D50 and 18-55 kit lens (original version.)

Camera: Nikon D50 w/18-55 kit lens
Aperture: f/5.0
Focal Length: 18mm
ISO Speed: 400

2 questions

1. How do you post your Flickr shot with EXIF info like that?
2. For discussion's sake, given how bright it was out, any reason you shot with such a high ISO?

Vel

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2008
Power-cut...

...we had a power-cut last week I looked outside and noticed there was also a full moon, so I decided to shoot it with my D90 and my 50mm lens (it was the lens that was on the camera at the time)
Enjoy...

4576427538_1eb411ab0a.jpg

Vel

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
1. How do you post your Flickr shot with EXIF info like that?
Unless the forums actually parse out the EXIF data and include them in the post, he's typing that out by hand.

picture1xcc.png

Which means pdxflint missed the point twice in his somewhat lengthy reply. It does make for random tidbits of information though. ;)

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
A Dying Breed

Hey remember movie theaters? Those things people used to go to all the time.
4570072704_d028d88c96_b.jpg

EXIF
Camera:Canon EOS REBEL T2i
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/640)
Aperture: f/3.5
Focal Length: 18 mm
ISO Speed: 100

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Thanks TH3D4RKKN1GH7, gnd, tekmoe and OrangeCuse44 for your kind comments.

Simply awesome. I assume you use a filter for these long exposure shots? If so, what kind/brand?

Thank you, I do use filters but as gnd correctly guesses - not in that instance. It was late afternoon after a thunder storm had passed producing some great clouds and light. I didn't want the exposure to go for too long, I'd loose the wave rolling in. I also timed it for when the waters retreating, again too long and the incoming wave would've knocked things around.

As for the filters, I bought the Cokin P-Series 77mm holder with a Cokin ND and ND8 grad. In high contrast situations things sometimes don't work out to well. It does vignette at 12mm, so I'll need to cut off the last slot which I don't use. The Z-pro series would be ideal, but the holders and filters are pricey. They're not very neutral in colour either but if you shoot in raw that's easily fixed. Other than those small things they're great.

Since the shot was taken at 6pm and he's in Australia I would imagine he didn't need a filter. At that time of the day it was dark enough for that.

Speaking of dark enough, have you gotten a new tripod yet, TheReef?

I'm in a bit of a dilemma :p, I want to get a good quality tripod but I know it'll get wrecked.
I'm thinking a decently sturdy ~$50-100 leg set from eBay and a good quality smooth ball head separately.

Let me know if a tripod leg washes up on your beach!

AlecJenx

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
Hey remember movie theaters? Those things people used to go to all the time.
4570072704_d028d88c96_b.jpg
Great shot. I love these theaters.
This might be a dumb question, but what kind of lens did you use for this? I just bought the 550D/T2i, body only, so I'm in the market.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
Let me know if a tripod leg washes up on your beach!

I'll be driving down to Greece in a month and I'll keep my eyes open.

Here is my photo for today. A cowboy resting in the Randsburg ghost town, California.
RandsburgLeaningCowboy.jpg

Camera: Pentax K20D
Lens: Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
Filter: Hoya Super HMC CPL
Focal length: 35mm
Exposure: 1/125s
Aperture: f/8
ISO: 200

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
Sorry for confusing everyone; I think I'm confused now too haha. All I was wondering was if the EXIF data below your shot on THIS forum was posted automatically when you linked to your Flickr photo or if you just copy and pasted it.

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
All I was wondering was if the EXIF data below your shot on THIS forum was posted automatically when you linked to your Flickr photo or if you just copy and pasted it.
I win!

Cue crowd noise.

@pdxflint: It was really a simple question that you somehow overanalyzed, nothing to worry about. I do that all the time. And now back to our thread.

timbos

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
Outside a diner

First entry, be gentle :)

Attachments

• DSC_0111.jpg
    DSC_0111.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 115

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Sorry for confusing everyone; I think I'm confused now too haha. All I was wondering was if the EXIF data below your shot on THIS forum was posted automatically when you linked to your Flickr photo or if you just copy and pasted it.

Hey, no problem. Of course, if you had only said it this way the first time I wouldn't have TWLreal gloating over my beaten and battered body... ;) Glad to be of help.
I win!

Cue crowd noise.

@pdxflint: It was really a simple question that you somehow overanalyzed, nothing to worry about. I do that all the time. And now back to our thread.
Okay, feel better now? ;) At least my efforts weren't totally in vain, and I was able to make someone feel like a winner today. So, in this case I have to say I'm glad to be of help to you, too. :) Now, as you said---back to the thread.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
Hey, no problem. Of course, if you had only said it this way the first time I wouldn't have TWLreal gloating over my beaten and battered body... ;) Glad to be of help.

I have a terrible habit of over complicating questions..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.