Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
^neat HDR fisheye, nuwomb.

New York City, Times Square, late October...

times-square1.jpg

Three tripod mounted RAWs // HDR // Shutter: varied // Aperture: f/9.0 // Focal Length: 17 mm // ISO 320

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
Thanks, guys.

I've been re-inspired by Toronto, lately. I took the afternoon off last Friday and went shooting. Just found this angle by accident.

You also seem to have gotten the perfect lighting for that photo. I have the exact same angle as yours in one of my pictures, but it's not nearly as spectacular because it lacks the light coming from behind the CN tower. Awesome photo!

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
My usual fare is out taking landscapes or macros, I have very rarely in recent years pointed my camera at human's other than for family snapshot's. So I find myself completely out of my depth now attempting to learn portrait photography.

We're on the same boat! I've just started taking portraits, after years of taking macros. You're doing a much better job than I am, though. ;)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
^neat HDR fisheye, nuwomb.

New York City, Times Square, late October...

times-square1.jpg

Three tripod mounted RAWs // HDR // Shutter: varied // Aperture: f/9.0 // Focal Length: 17 mm // ISO 320

This is possibly the best HDR shot I've seen from you. I love the way the "arm" of the traffic light meets with and echoes the upraised arm of the man on the billboard, which in turn echoes the verticality of just about everything in the image, right down to the flaming torch on the "Argent" sign. The photo seems to assert a triumph of urbanity, which appears (literally in this image) to have effaced humanity. The image is almost apocalyptic in that regard. The complimentary color scheme works really well to heighten the sense of conflict. Well done.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
juanster photo has a very very good lighting, it makes the photo look really good cause if there is not enough lighting, that photo will just look like a normal photo. Good job :cool:

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
juanster photo has a very very good lighting, it makes the photo look really good cause if there is not enough lighting, that photo will just look like a normal photo. Good job :cool:

yes it really does, it looks amazing.. wait I am a bit confused tho, are you telling me why that photo looks so good or are you complimenting me on it? because I did not take that shot, that's Edge100's shot :rolleyes: i wish i was getting shots like that..

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
yes it really does, it looks amazing.. wait I am a bit confused tho, are you telling me why that photo looks so good or are you complimenting me on it? because I did not take that shot, that's Edge100's shot i wish i was getting shots like that..
LOL, I feel so embarrassed right now :eek:, I was referring to Edge100's shot. Sorry :eek:

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

You also seem to have gotten the perfect lighting for that photo. I have the exact same angle as yours in one of my pictures, but it's not nearly as spectacular because it lacks the light coming from behind the CN tower. Awesome photo![/QUOTE

This is the challenge, isn't it... to shoot the right place in the best light.

You see lots of pix of the right place... but in dull, drab, unrevealing light...

And you see lots of pix taken at the right time - a glorious sunset, say - but shot out of a bedroom window, when all you can see is the garage roof and some power lines. :(

I appreciate I have more time than most to wait for the right moment. But I reckon most folk would have the time to 'commit' to maybe one image per week. One shot where you don't compromise: maybe taking notes about what the best time to shoot might be, and keep going back until you get something a bit special. And take what you need - tripod, for example - so you don't have to push the ISO up or try to shoot hand-held at 1/10sec. Then there'd be one image per week to be proud of... and you wouldn't have to say "If only I'd taken the right lens" or "If only I'd had more time".

Just me thinking out loud... :)

Still raining in the Lake District...

leaffallstu8.jpg

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Good tips and picture Doylem, the water look so beautiful. I always wanted to shoot water like that but can't with my PnS and nice picture TheReef :cool:

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Just me thinking out loud... :)

I agree. Although some of us have a hard time finding the time to go out and take photo's at the best time of the day. (Kids needing attention, work etc). But I appreciate it that people like you post here, I check this thread regularly and love the beaty and quality of the photo's posted here.

Oh, and you know what people think when they see an old guy talking to himself (sorry, thinking out loud). :)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I agree. Although some of us have a hard time finding the time to go out and take photo's at the best time of the day. (Kids needing attention, work etc).

This is what I was trying to say too. I appreciate it's hard for people to find the time to devote to photography... which is why it might be better to 'commit' to one image a week, instead of just filling up the hard drive with pix they know they could do better, given the chance....

Oh, and you know what people think when they see an old guy talking to himself (sorry, thinking out loud). :)

It happens already. People see me with my tripod, setting up a shot, as they're starting a walk. Two hours later, they pass me again, and I'm still waiting for the light to get 'interesting'... ;)

MaddMacs

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Flagstaff, Az
Oh wow. Although it looks a little soft it's just absolutely stunning. People touching a fully visible rainbow on a far away ledge with mysterious structures. lovely.

Thanks Face... your shot is noteworthy as well, and your patience to take the shot at the right time was well worth it .

I enjoyed your interpetation of the people at the right trying to "catch" the rainbow (they were actually fishing).

@ Steamie and Doylem : beautiful posts lately. You both are an inspiration. I wish I had the time and patience Doylem has to wait for the 'light', and the forethought to bring the right equipment.

I was in Phoenix for my nephew's birthday, and decided to drive back home through Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon, since I had my camera with me (but forgot the tripod).
3019436948_5739898f06_b.jpg

sparsk

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
Having been a silent observer for quite a while in these forums, I have to say, this place keeps getting better.

@Doylem, I really liked the cityscape picture you took last month. Seeing your rush hour pic, I can't help but wonder if you're getting closer to urban environments. Are you still able to wait for the lighting to get "interesting" in those settings?

@Edge100, your shot of the CN tower really pushes me to get out with my camera more often. Being an enthusiastic beginner, I love seeing what everyone is doing here.

@Valdore, I look forward to seeing the results of your helicopter flight.

@Longkc, I'd be interested in knowing more on the settings you used for the picture of the cheetah.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.