Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Try fredmiranda.com's Buy and Sell forum to pick up a great condition at several hundred dollars less than the usual retail price.

Thank you for the kind words :). The D700 really is a remarkable camera, and I can't imagine not being satisfied with it for many years to come.

What's your lens collection look like right now?

Besides the Nikkor kit 18-55 and 55-200 G lenses (pretty much sitting in a drawer now,) I added a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D, and a Nikkor 300 f/4 AF. Still want to add a couple more fast primes, or a 24-70 f/2.8 eventually. Without the kit lenses, my gaps are from 24mm to 50mm, and from 50mm to 80mm. I have to consider future FX format, while still keeping the D300 as a DX body, most likely. For now, I'm also hanging onto my D50. Slowly...it's coming together... :)

Maybe when the D700s comes out (assuming they add video to the D700) I can pick up a D700. I don't need video, which is why I went for the D300 over the D90.

PhxTriode

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I usually warn clients that "spot color" is a fad, but they always ask for it anyway :rolleyes: ;)

671556817_CFAUJ-XL.jpg

Got to love L glass:)

wixberry

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2009
Jakarta
Thank you gkarris

I am trying to get my EOS 3 dialed with Ilford 3200, but am having trouble with the eye control and my contacts. The 5D with Silver Effects Pro post does a good job, but the Ilford is just amazing with 'L" glass.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I shot 83 at Pebble Beach!

Pictures that is

IMG_0420%20%281%29.jpg

I really loved the Pic, the color is so soft and subtle.... great capture :)..keep them coming...

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
That's quite a sprinkler! I love the long arm of water coming off the very tip at the right. Is it me, or is this photo very contrasty? I'm not seeing any shadow detail.

Thank you for the comment.

It could be. I tried to pull the greens up with levels. This is the unprocessed original. This was kind of into the sun.

Note: The first was edited on a 23 in monitor that is very bright and high contrast. My gamma was set to 1.8 and should be 2.2.

Dale

Attachments

• IMG_9328_2.jpg
    IMG_9328_2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 96

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Thank you for the comment.

It could be. I tried to pull the greens up with levels. This is the unprocessed original. This was kind of into the sun.

Dale

I think the unprocessed one is better; you inadvertently crushed the shadows in altering the greens of your final version. Try using a "vibrancy" adjustment instead of the levels, and/or try bringing up the fill light/shadows. That might help. These kinds of high-contrast scenes are very challenging to process.

feuerschlange

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008

Is it just me, who thinks about horror movies, pain and alike by the look of this photograph?

I truly have some respect about these automatic nail guns, that are used on construction jobs these days. I was horrified, how careless some Chinese workers lately handled them in the middle of a rush hour shopping street.

feuerschlange

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
I like these last two. I have often wanted to go back and get a simple camera with a great, fast normal lens, no autowind, fully manual... and do what you're doing. I used to push tri-x and hp5 to 3200 fairly regularly using T-max developer - worked quite well. I'd also push develop t-max 3200 another stop or two when needed - grainy and fairly contrasty... but combined with a fast lens one could literally shoot in the dark...handheld. Anyway, I envy you the M6. Nice little piece of mechanical technology. :)

Thanks pdxflint! I really dig the film shooting lately. My digital gear actually collects dust after I bought the old Leica and one lens!
I almost shot only Tri-X @ 3200 with this little camera that shoots only until 1/1000 - this is the full opposite of the all options 1000 menus digital world and seriously frees your mind ;-)

I have used my D3 only once since then - it felt awful with the tiny finder and obstructed low magnified view.

I can't see your images - wether the C h i n e s e F i r e w a l l or a broken link causes that.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Thanks pdxflint!

<~snip~>

I can't see your images - wether the C h i n e s e F i r e w a l l or a broken link causes that.

They're usually linked from picasaweb.com. Is anyone else unable to see my images? If so, please let me know and I'll try to link them from a different host. Thanks

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
D700+135/2 at 3200 ISO. Taken last night.

3997286041_9ae3ab5202_b.jpg

I added a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D, and a Nikkor 300 f/4 AF. Still want to add a couple more fast primes, or a 24-70 f/2.8 eventually.

Interesting lens selection. I had the 80-200 push-pull version, and I sold it. I now prefer using a 180/2.8, and just bought a used copy of it (I hope it's better than the new one I bought that I had to send back because it was defective). Do you use your 80-200 at several focal lengths, or just a couple? I've heard nothing but good things about the Tokina 12-24, and the 300/4 seems to have a good reputation if you can get past its slow autofocus. I don't think I'd want a 24-70 now, not least because it's very expensive. Have you thought about the 28-70? Can get a nice condition one for $1K or so if you know where to look.

Last night's game helped cement an 85/105/180 combination for me, I think, rather than something like the 85/135 or 85/180. Both for weight reasons and a preference for them in general, I pretty much use only primes now.

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
hmm could have been but yea it just looks quite poor quality, could that possibly be because its a video recorder?

I guess that's what you get when you try to make a swiss army knife out of a camcorder eh ? I sometimes use the "still camera" side to take photos in locations where I'm hesitant to take my Nikon. Thanks for the comments

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.