Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
SOTC, taken at the Very Large Array in New Mexico (clickable)

attachment.php

WOW - Stunning!

So many great photos on here everyone! Thanks!

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Taken this morning . I'm trying to repeat a project I did some years back with film , taking the same shot from the same locations each month .

IMG_1269_1_1319s.jpg

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Just wanted to say that your photographs capture the real essence of our northern part of the world. The colours are just right and the landscapes look so comfortingly familiar. Thanks for helping me to not take my "shield country" for granted.

BJ

Thanks for the nice comments, BJ

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
The last few days have produced some very provocative landscapes, folks.

Wonderful feel of motion both above and below the horizon.The framing pulls me into the scene. Nice.

Dark and brooding scene. Love the feel of the sky and the impending storm. Excellent placement of the horizon, too.

PHR_8961.JPG

Model: NIKON D300
ISO: 400
Exposure: 1/250 sec
Aperture: 16.0
Focal Length: 12mm

Very well framed. Nice fluid motion up the path to the horizon.

Wonderful textures in the sky. I love those earthy Northern England greens.

Dale

FDX

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2006
Acadia National Park

My 7 year old pondering.

Attachments

• DSC_6478.JPG
    DSC_6478.JPG
    960 KB · Views: 97

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
Nice image. However for me all that black on the right side detracts from the image.

Just my personal opinion.

I think it helps show that this was a little coral animal growing inside of a dark shipwreck, where it escapes notice most of the time. It seemed to jump out at me, begging me to notice it, when I penetrated the room in the wreck, but I still had a hard time lighting it with my light, without overexposing it. I have some other shots that are more evenly lit, but then you lose the feeling that it exists in a normally pitch black environment.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Cascade Head trail

Yesterday, before sundown. I had to leave a bit earlier than I'd have liked (when the light would be right,) but this place bears exploring, so I'll be back. It's only 15 miles from my house.

PHR_8979-2.JPG

Model: NIKON D300
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/250 sec
Aperture: 13.0
Focal Length: 20mm

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I think it helps show that this was a little coral animal growing inside of a dark shipwreck, where it escapes notice most of the time. It seemed to jump out at me, begging me to notice it, when I penetrated the room in the wreck, but I still had a hard time lighting it with my light, without overexposing it. I have some other shots that are more evenly lit, but then you lose the feeling that it exists in a normally pitch black environment.

I would have to agree that you could crop out much of that black void and still retain the sense of the black environment in which the coral animal is growing. There is probably more black in the frame than you need. All the same, thanks for sharing your very unusual and interesting photo. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.