Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Frog in a puddle

4053814363_603d33c57e_o.jpg

gaswerks

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2006
Wasps nest, Lensbaby on extension tubes, PS invert (I liked the blues over the browns)

Attachments

• hive3.jpg
    hive3.jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 93

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->

The milky quality of the water really makes this shot. I also like the vignetting and might even be tempted to increase it a bit. Nice shot.

Josephina's Restaurant. Parkland, Washington

josephinaswall3.jpg

I have always loved these colors. I have a tighter framing if you don't like the upper portion.

Dale

I also love these colors and wouldn't change a thing about the framing. However, if it's possible to return to this site when the sun is lower (looks to have been a morning shot, so a couple of hours earlier?), you would get some wonderful long shadows and eye-popping texture on that wall (I can see that the wall is textured, but the direction of the light is mostly obscuring it).

Oh, and one minor tweak you might try in Photoshop: if you use the "distort" feature, you should be able to tug down the lower right corner and remove the sloping effect at the bottom of the frame.

Ag3nt-Orang3

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2009
Took this while driving from Houston to Baton Rouge...actual picture was taken at 65 mph in Lafayette, Louisiana.

Attachments

• 4054081903_c6897eeeef_b.jpg
    4054081903_c6897eeeef_b.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 113

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I also love these colors and wouldn't change a thing about the framing. However, if it's possible to return to this site when the sun is lower (looks to have been a morning shot, so a couple of hours earlier?), you would get some wonderful long shadows and eye-popping texture on that wall (I can see that the wall is textured, but the direction of the light is mostly obscuring it).

Oh, and one minor tweak you might try in Photoshop: if you use the "distort" feature, you should be able to tug down the lower right corner and remove the sloping effect at the bottom of the frame.

Thanks for the comments. I took this about 2:00 pm. It's close to me and easy to reshoot if the sun ever decides to visit again... I go by this a lot and the colors always caught my eye. I thought it might be a bit much, it jumps off the screen :D

I do use the transform features of PhotoShop to square up the sides of buildings and prevent that slop effect you get sometimes, but I try to stay away from altering what is in front of the camera. The world isn't perfect and that's that. If I reshoot this I will square it up and see.

Thanks again.

Dale

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Thanks for the comments. I took this about 2:00 pm. It's close to me and easy to reshoot if the sun ever decides to visit again... I go by this a lot and the colors always caught my eye. I thought it might be a bit much, it jumps off the screen :D

I do use the transform features of PhotoShop to square up the sides of buildings and prevent that slop effect you get sometimes, but I try to stay away from altering what is in front of the camera. The world isn't perfect and that's that. If I reshoot this I will square it up and see.

Thanks again.

Dale

If it was about 2pm, then maybe a few hours later would be about right. At any rate, this is really well seen; you've found a photogenic spot that I think is worthy of a return visit. I really like the log supports projecting out from the roof line.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I try to stay away from altering what is in front of the camera. The world isn't perfect and that's that.

Had a moment to think about this statement. If that's your philosophy, then I suppose you should go with it. In my view, all photography is a form of illusion because the photographer has a great deal of control at the moment of capture. Focal length (and its concomitant perspectival effects) can make a big difference in the relative sizes of objects. Framing is a process of inclusion/exclusion. Shutter speeds can emphasize or obscure elements. A CPL filter can magically erase or exaggerate reflections. My goal as a photographer is to have a vision of a certain scene and to use the camera to render the scene as I feel it/experience it/understand it--or even as I wish it could be. I don't believe that the camera is a recorder of "truth." But then that's my philosophy, and if everyone shared it, the world would be a less interesting place. ;)

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Had a moment to think about this statement. If that's your philosophy, then I suppose you should go with it. In my view, all photography is a form of illusion because the photographer has a great deal of control at the moment of capture. Focal length (and its concomitant perspectival effects) can make a big difference in the relative sizes of objects. Framing is a process of inclusion/exclusion. Shutter speeds can emphasize or obscure elements. A CPL filter can magically erase or exaggerate reflections. My goal as a photographer is to have a vision of a certain scene and to use the camera to render the scene as I feel it/experience it/understand it--or even as I wish it could be. I don't believe that the camera is a recorder of "truth." But then that's my philosophy, and if everyone shared it, the world would be a less interesting place. ;)

I agree with all of your statements with regard to in-camera work. All of my photographs represent what I saw in a way that I intended to capture it and convey that to others. Where I move with caution is when the image is in software. It can be modified to such an extent in post that the vision coming out of the computer can be unrelated to the vision at the moment the shutter was squeezed. Perspective corrections and transformations stretch or compress the pixel composition of the image. This is fine with moderation but people need to be careful not to overdo it. Same goes for Cloning. It is very difficult to pull that off in such a way that a guy like me won't catch it.

I always enjoy these banters with you.

Dale

PS: Love "concomitant perspectival effects". Takes my back to my Art History classes where I learned cool terms like "curvilinear".

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I agree with all of your statements with regard to in-camera work. All of my photographs represent what I saw in a way that I intended to capture it and convey that to others. Where I move with caution is when the image is in software. It can be modified to such an extent in post that the vision coming out of the computer can be unrelated to the vision at the moment the shutter was squeezed. Perspective corrections and transformations stretch or compress the pixel composition of the image. This is fine with moderation but people need to be careful not to overdo it. Same goes for Cloning. It is very difficult to pull that off in such a way that a guy like me won't catch it.

I always enjoy these banters with you.

Dale

PS: Love "concomitant perspectival effects". Takes my back to my Art History classes where I learned cool terms like "curvilinear".

I'm glad you brought up the issue of post-processing because that's where I was intending to go with my last post--but somehow I didn't get that far! My point that I didn't quite make was that I have no qualms about tweaking things a bit in post because even at the point of capture I'm creating an illusion. But I think you probably got my drift anyway. :D

Not sure whether or not to say "you're welcome" or to apologize for my academic jargon. It sometimes spills out of me when I forget to turn that "switch" off. :eek:

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I grew up in Ohio and lived in Boston for a few years. Now that I live in the Pacific Northwest I find that fall is quite fleeting and I miss the colors. This has been a great month in this forum and I want to thank the following MR shutter bugs for the wonderful foliage pictures.

panoz7 :cool: mcavjame :cool: anti-microft :cool: oblomow:cool:

nissan.gtp :cool: AlexH :cool: BarryJ :cool: Joe King :cool: Rocio :cool:

mikeschmeee :cool: liljohnny51 :cool: someoldguy :cool: gnd :cool:

Fiveos22 :cool: loderunner :cool: Kronie :cool: AlaskaMoose :cool: kallisti :cool:

If I missed anyone, sorry...

Dale

grassland

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
ice berg in the bay

boat is not the titantic...Newfoundland canada

Attachments

• berg24.jpg
    berg24.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 114

CanadIan

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
Thanks for the comment dubels.

And for today:
The Presidentials (from Mt. Washington)
4003285082_79bc834cc0_o.jpg

I hiked that whole ridgeline to finish off my backpacking trip.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
I grew up in Ohio and lived in Boston for a few years. Now that I live in the Pacific Northwest I find that fall is quite fleeting and I miss the colors. This has been a great month in this forum and I want to thank the following MR shutter bugs for the wonderful foliage pictures.

panoz7 :cool: mcavjame :cool: anti-microft :cool: oblomow:cool:

nissan.gtp :cool: AlexH :cool: BarryJ :cool: Joe King :cool: Rocio :cool:

mikeschmeee :cool: liljohnny51 :cool: someoldguy :cool: gnd :cool:

Fiveos22 :cool: loderunner :cool: Kronie :cool: AlaskaMoose :cool: kallisti :cool:

If I missed anyone, sorry...

Dale
Glad you've enjoyed the pics!

Now, for my photo of the day:

"Killer haircut"

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Nice cold open skies in Bad Godesberg
bonn0027.jpg

Thanks for the comment dubels.

And for today:
The Presidentials (from Mt. Washington)
4003285082_79bc834cc0_o.jpg

I hiked that whole ridgeline to finish off my backpacking trip.

Wow, what a view. And I really like the layered mountains. Do you have more of that trip?

andy8408

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2005
Shrewsbury, UK
October photo

First time posting so dont know whether this will show.

Photo attached - Easdale Island, Argyle, Scotland looking out west to the Garvellachs.

Attachments

• DSC_0122.jpg
    DSC_0122.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 106
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.