Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
Reverse Tilt-Shift???

Taken from the top of Monte Toro in Menorca (somehow I've got a feeling Phrasikleia has already been there!) It looks a bit like a tilt-shift, but it's straight out of the camera with standard lens.

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
I went through Socorro the day before yesterday I think- within the last 3-4 days anyway- a little early for Bosque Del Apache, but I still enjoyed seeing the Sandhill Cranes at a distance.

Hope your western journey is going well Compuwar. On Socorro, if you blink more than twice, you may have missed most of it. :p It's a nice little town with some interesting old buildings. I was only there for a few days and didn't get to see much as much as I wanted due to work, but would definitely pass back through given the opportunity. This is all I could do for wildlife while there.

Attachments

• _7003142.jpg
    _7003142.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 100

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Taken from the top of Monte Toro in Menorca (somehow I've got a feeling Phrasikleia has already been there!)

Actually, no; you've found a place I have yet to accost with my camera. ;)

While we're doing mountaintop vistas, here's one from Sicily:

SegTheaterVista.jpg

By the way, am I the only one who agonizes over whether to prepare images for Firefox or Safari?

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV

Continuing on my shots from last week with my 1 and half hour visit to Great Falls.

This particular hike takes you right down to the Potomac just south of the Great Falls, a popular spot for Kayaking. This four second exposure gives you an idea of the rapids leaving the falls that you can see in this picture.

This is 8 photos stitched together as I could not compose the shot as I wanted with the lens I had. Think of it as 4 shots on the bottom and four on top. The sky came out kinda strange but I haven't spent any time trying to fix it. This was earlier in the day, about 45 mins before this picture and the sky remained mostly blue with a hint of a pinkish hue.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
...bringing up the rear

The tail end (I know, it sounds a bit odd...) of the Mens' masters riders group shortly after launching from the start line in a cyclocross race last weekend in Hillsboro, Oregon.

PHR_0187.JPG

Model: NIKON D300
ISO: 1600
Exposure: 1/2000 sec
Aperture: 2.8
Focal Length: 200mm

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
By the way, am I the only one who agonizes over whether to prepare images for Firefox or Safari?

I'm sorry to say that I only prepare the images for whatever my own purpose is (prints, view on computer etc) and don't do any extra effort before posting them on here (hence I ran foul of Designer Dale the other day!)

This is another one from Ciudadela de Menorca (in the square facing the windmill if you know the area.) I'd just picked up the wee man from hospital due to a tummy bug, he was considering transport home. (taken with my Samsung P&S)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I didn't know that there was a difference??

There is if you're using a system that outputs ICC v.4 profiles, which would be most systems that are hardware calibrated using current calibration software. So images will look oversaturated in FF or in any browser that has no color management at all (Firefox 3.5 supports ICC v.2, but not 4).

I'm sorry to say that I only prepare the images for whatever my own purpose is (prints, view on computer etc) and don't do any extra effort before posting them on here (hence I ran foul of Designer Dale the other day!)

Well, I'm fussy that way. I've been trying to hit a happy middle ground with the stuff I post here on MR (i.e. images that will look a bit off in either browser but that won't be grossly over or undersaturated in either one). I figure a large number of people viewing this forum have calibrated displays and will see something within the ballpark of what I'm seeing, so I do what I can to hedge my bets between the browsers.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hope your western journey is going well Compuwar. On Socorro, if you blink more than twice, you may have missed most of it. :p It's a nice little town with some interesting old buildings. I was only there for a few days and didn't get to see much as much as I wanted due to work, but would definitely pass back through given the opportunity. This is all I could do for wildlife while there.

I think that's where I stayed the night before Bosque Del Apache, didn't get as much time to stop on the way back as I'd wished, but I was dodging storms (managed to have great weather all the way back.) I'm pretty happy with what I've looked at so far, but Autopano doesn't like my D3x files, so I think I'm going to have to upgrade there. I definitely want to hit Bosque one December. Oh well, two weeks or so until the Bald Eagles are back at Conowingo!

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
There is if you're using a system that outputs ICC v.4 profiles, which would be most systems that are hardware calibrated using current calibration software. So images will look oversaturated in FF or in any browser that has no color management at all (Firefox 3.5 supports ICC v.2, but not 4).

Well, I'm fussy that way. I've been trying to hit a happy middle ground with the stuff I post here on MR (i.e. images that will look a bit off in either browser but that won't be grossly over or undersaturated in either one). I figure a large number of people viewing this forum have calibrated displays and will see something within the ballpark of what I'm seeing, so I do what I can to hedge my bets between the browsers.

This issue of colors differing in various online output came up a while in the Design and Graphics forum. I created a test image and sent it to myself using both my personal Yahoo account and my business one at Gmail. They looked markedly different even though they were both being viewed in Safari. One of the posters said it is related to how different software clients read color profiles and suggested unchecking the Save Embedded Color Profile box in the jpg save box from PhotoShop. I don't do this because it seems that most folks on this forum run similar systems. Technology is odd.

The "ran afoul of DD" comment was regarding file size. I suggested limiting vertical size to ~800px so that they fit full screen. Silly me...

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.