Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
2867821019_7b2def6b33.jpg

C&C is always welcome!

JohnMC

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
north_star_rotation.jpg

Canon EOS 20D :: 17 mm :: f 7.1 :: 6012 sec (about 90 minutes) :: iso 100

Salt Lake City is to the west and that is what's causing the glow in the left corner.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Doylem, thanks for noticing the dust spots, I'll try to correct them in that batch :).

This guy travels the country for Jelly Belly, he has a stage coach and a fire truck, both of which shoot flames out of the exhaust (mixed with a nice Cinnamon smell). After a fun 'hopping' run down the track, he comes back to the line and does a 12-14 second 1/4 mile with the front end up the entire length. Then he comes back to the middle of the track, gets out, and throws bags of Jelly Beans to everyone. I'm the track photographer, so I was able to stand in the opposite lane and get a nice shot of him going by.

Canon EOS 20D :: 17 mm :: f 4 :: 1/60 sec

I love the colors in this shot. The blur of the audience makes them match the colors on the truck as well, which was nice.

Here's my new shot for the day. This guy was out practicing so I just stopped by and took a quick shot. I liked it because he was glancing at my camera right as I took it.

IMG_3676.jpg

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
Sorted through some shots from today but the creativity is not there. So, I tried some desaturation edits. With apologies to the purists :)
2900254660_cbf98bd10b.jpg

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
At what time of the night was this taken? It must have been during the darkest part? I love the shot!

Fantastic shot. I only wish I could pull something like that off.

Nice, that looks really good!
Really have to try one one of these days, although I'd need an AC adapter and hand trigger wouldn't I?
How many tries did it take you to get that?

Thanks guys!! To answer your questions...

gnd - I took it from 9:30-11:00pm last night, I live in Utah and went up a canyon so I was surrounded by mountains, nevertheless you can still see the glow of Salt Lake (about 30 miles NW) in the bottom left corner. There is no moon right now though, so that was very helpful. If I would've pointed straight East, it would have been an even dark blue, but I wanted the spin factor of the North Star.

soLoredd & TheReef - It's actually not too tricky to pull off. Obviously, you need a tripod, and you also need a remote switch that plugs directly into the camera. The one I have either does a single shutter press, or it locks for when I set the camera to bulb. Since it's a long exposure, even though it's pitch black outside, you want a low ISO as the sky does eventually show up. I've posted the original so you can see. How many tries did it take me? Just one. With in-camera Noise Correction turned on, the 90 minute exposure took another 90 minutes just to process, I was asleep long before it finished. Oh, and I have a battery grip, so with 2 batteries I didn't need to plug it in, and it wasn't fully charged. I'd imagine a single battery full charge could do it just fine.

starry_night_raw.jpg

I had to get rid of some lens/sensor dust crap as well. It's hard to keep those things clean

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
wheezy you inspired me to try new things.... so I attempted my first star shot. I set my D50 to bulb with remote release, but as being a novice i left the f-stop at 4. So I assume next time i shall choose 22ish. I am using a 50mm f/1.8

So here it is, with major MAJOR corrections in Aperture lol :D

20080930-dg14tppj1baujaumxc98xcrr6b.jpg

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
wheezy you inspired me to try new things.... so I attempted my first star shot. I set my D50 to bulb with remote release, but as being a novice i left the f-stop at 4. So I assume next time i shall choose 22ish. I am using a 50mm f/1.8

So here it is, with major MAJOR corrections in Aperture lol :D

20080930-dg14tppj1baujaumxc98xcrr6b.jpg

Awesome!! Don't go too small on the Aperture or you won't get those dimmer stars, it is hard to make it deep blue though, and when there is a big city nearby ambient light is impossible to get rid of.

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
2900452955_b94f70b26e_o.jpg

D40 | 1/125 at ƒ/2.8 | 24 mm | ISO 800
42nd Street Subway Station, New York City
July 2008

Thanks for the comments on my last photo BoingoBongo and Artful Dodger.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
Thanks guys!! To answer your questions...

gnd - I took it from 9:30-11:00pm last night, I live in Utah and went up a canyon so I was surrounded by mountains, nevertheless you can still see the glow of Salt Lake (about 30 miles NW) in the bottom left corner. There is no moon right now though, so that was very helpful. If I would've pointed straight East, it would have been an even dark blue, but I wanted the spin factor of the North Star.

soLoredd & TheReef - It's actually not too tricky to pull off. Obviously, you need a tripod, and you also need a remote switch that plugs directly into the camera. The one I have either does a single shutter press, or it locks for when I set the camera to bulb. Since it's a long exposure, even though it's pitch black outside, you want a low ISO as the sky does eventually show up. I've posted the original so you can see. How many tries did it take me? Just one. With in-camera Noise Correction turned on, the 90 minute exposure took another 90 minutes just to process, I was asleep long before it finished. Oh, and I have a battery grip, so with 2 batteries I didn't need to plug it in, and it wasn't fully charged. I'd imagine a single battery full charge could do it just fine.

starry_night_raw.jpg

I had to get rid of some lens/sensor dust crap as well. It's hard to keep those things clean

Thanks for the reply, wheezy. I am going to get me one of those remote switches and try this. The results can be so beautiful!

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
You've got such an awesome location for photography, all your shots are spectacular!

Thanks... The North of England is my 'patch'. It's a very small area (Aussies probably drive further just to get a beer :)), but the landscape - and weather - are varied, so it never gets stale...

Wastwater

wastwatercanoeap5.jpg

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
Awesome!! Don't go too small on the Aperture or you won't get those dimmer stars, it is hard to make it deep blue though, and when there is a big city nearby ambient light is impossible to get rid of.

Note taken! It is my goal to get at least one good shot trying this. That last one was 35 minutes but I had to manually turn the camera off because it was taking 40 minutes to process hahaha

bassproguy07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Katy, TX
not digital, but its my first OK looking print from film. thought I'd post since its the last day of september! shot with canon AE-1 with T-Maxx 400 film. dont remember what F-stop or lens I was using at the time.

Attachments

• flags 3.jpg
    flags 3.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 90

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
awesome colours, what's the glow around the surfer? just curious
Trade secret.:cool:

just kidding.:p Honestly, I stepped on that overexposed image so heavy with Photoshop that I can't tell you exactly how it happened. Just dumb luck I guess ha ha!:D

I have gotten similar results with the diffuse glow filter in PSE 4, but I am certain I didn't use it here. Mostly lifting shadows and tweaking levels, boosting saturation... about as close as I could come to HDR from one over-exposed raw file.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.